Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is in need of a new phone and her biggest gripe on phones she has had in the past is the slow shutter speed on her android phones. She wants something that is going to take the picture as quick as a full fledged point and shoot camera. No missed shots, but also having a smartphone at the same time.

Any suggestions on a phone that minimizes the shutter lag?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Shutter or autofocus speed?

Samsung S5's autofocus very fast at around 0.3 seconds. This is around the reaction time of a normal adult - less than the time it takes to press the button.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, perhaps it is autofocus. I just assume it was shutter speed, since that is what the problem seemed to be back in the day with digital cameras.

I guess what she wants is the picture to be taken when she pressed the button. There should be as little delay between the button push and capturing the picture. She's aware that she's not going to get DSLR sport shots, but our 16 month old seems to have become an expert at moving too quickly to get the picture my wife was after.

We'll check out the S5, hopefully that'll do the trick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
S5 or (maybe) LG Nexus 5. Note that if the phone supports a recent release of Android, the camera is immediately accessible from the lock screen by dragging right-to-left, so there is no need to unlock then select the camera app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the newer phones to be much better - early Android phones drove me nuts this way, but my last two phones (Galaxy Nexus & Nexus 5) have been pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
FWIW I'd be looking at a compact camera with reasonable optics for this.

At equivalent tech and production levels the lens systems in phones are just too small to take pictures of the same quality. I haven't looked for compacts that have very fast autofocus, but I'd expect there are some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
S5 or (maybe) LG Nexus 5. Note that if the phone supports a recent release of Android, the camera is immediately accessible from the lock screen by dragging right-to-left, so there is no need to unlock then select the camera app.

Yeah, I was wondering why this wasn't a default with her current camera (Razr Maxx) and that alone will help in being able to whip out the camera and take a shot before the moment passes. We're trying to avoid having our phone out as this omnipresent eye constantly taking shots, we want to be engaged with our daughter, not recording her constantly. Still, there are those serendipitous moments where we scramble to pull out the phone, unlock it, bring up the camera app and then hope the dang thing fires off a shot before its too late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gyc365 wrote:

At equivalent tech and production levels the lens systems in cameras are just too small to take pictures of the same quality. I haven't looked for compacts that have very fast autofocus, but I'd expect there are some.

That's been one of the things I've noticed is that they keep cranking up the megapixels, which is fine and all, but I've found the photos we get at 8 megapixels are good enough. I suppose it is still easier to cram more sensors on the chip right now than it is to get the whole thing to speedily process a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
echoota wrote:
Yeah, I was wondering why this wasn't a default with her current camera (Razr Maxx)...

Check whether your Razr has the latest Android release (4.4.4?). You may (?) also need to enable lock-screen widgets: Settings ↠ Security ↠ Enable Widgets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
echoota wrote:
gyc365 wrote:

At equivalent tech and production levels the lens systems in cameras are just too small to take pictures of the same quality. I haven't looked for compacts that have very fast autofocus, but I'd expect there are some.

That's been one of the things I've noticed is that they keep cranking up the megapixels, which is fine and all, but I've found the photos we get at 8 megapixels are good enough. I suppose it is still easier to cram more sensors on the chip right now than it is to get the whole thing to speedily process a shot.

Very true. For the moment the pixel counts for small cameras and phones are well ahead of the optical accuracy and light gathering ability of the lenses.

If you're thinking about a compact, I suggest you read the articles at these links three times each:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_lens
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aperture
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number

With compacts there's always a much better camera at the next size up, so remember selection is a function/convenience compromise from the start.

I suggest you decide on a "form factor" that would actually work out (e.g. small enough to always be in a pocket), then think about whether the latest features (WiFi, big screens, web access) are actually useful (difficult to see any of those adding any value when your goal is to photograph a young child).

With that out of the way, you have some easy ones like lens size, lens quality, zoom (you don't need 20x for photographing a child, who should be a little closer to you than the sweet spot for a "500mm" lens

Then the hard ones like how fast it is to actually take a picture, and how robust you need the camera to be (e.g. waterproofing cuts the possibilities for zoom by a lot).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.