Christopher Ross
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Grand Master Cabalist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On The Dice Tower this week (ep 363) Eric said that the person who took the last card chooses the next card. It sounds like Tom and I had been playing it a different way where the next player considers the next card.

I'm wondering about that rule. If Eric is right then what stops the game ending as soon as someone runs out of chips?

If the person takes a card because he has no chips won't he have to take them all if he must consider the new card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it works the other way. The person who takes a card will generally get a chip with it, since the reason it came to him or her is that other people put chips on. This means that person can send the card around at least once (and if it comes back, the person will then get several chips.)

If it were the next person who had to deal with the card, that person might have used his or her last chip on the previous card, and thus be forced to take the new card.

With the correct rules (as described by Eric,) you generally never have to take a card the first time it comes to you.

(Of course, there could be a card you want to take the first time it comes to you, so sometimes you do take a card the first time. But you're not forced to.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ross
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Grand Master Cabalist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah. Ok. That makes sense. I forgot there would have to be at least one chip on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are allowing yourself to run out of chips then you run the risk of having to take a terrible card for a few chips.

It might "cost" you 20 points to take the 29 with 9 chips on it early in the game, but it will give you the breathing room to pick and choose your next card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jedijawa74 wrote:
On The Dice Tower this week (ep 363) Eric said ...

Eric Brosius wrote:
I think it works..
I always want to encourage direct consultation of the rules.

When finally a player decides to take the card (and all chips next to it), he puts it in front of himself face-up and takes the chips up in hand. After that, this player turns over the next card of the deck. As described above, he must then decide whether to take the card, or decline it and pay a chip. If he declines, the turn to play Ð and the decision whether or not to accept the card Ð again passes to his left-hand neighbor, and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vreeland
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to read through that section several times the first time I played the game since I was stuck thinking, "If I have no chips and have to take the card then I get stuck with all the rest of the cards (because I'd never get anymore chips)." I had of course missed the obvious, that the only way you would get an option to take a card is if someone had put a chip on it, so you will have at least one chip when you flip the next card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.