Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
I vaguely recall a book mention by Phil Eklund in a podcast which discussed Greenland.

The book was used in the game's design.

Does anyone recall the name of the book?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not, but I was actually getting ready to start a "Reading Recommendations" for Greenland thread.

If you don't mind the hijack, I'd suggest the following bizarre and delightful novel/travelogue/history:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Wow never heard of that one, Cole, but I'll have to get it. I have a fairly large collection of books on Greenland but most are in Danish of course so I won't add those. I do recommend pretty much everything Knud Rasmussen has written and if you can find something by his good friend Peter Freuchen then you'd be in good company too. A very interesting book is An African in Greenland by Tété-Michel Kpomassie about the first ever African to visit the island because he as a children's read a book about how children's were treated in Greenland. At the time he was reconvalescing after a serious snakke brite that was cured by a local group of shamans who as a price for it wanted him to join them as an apprentice. Instead he escaped and made his way up along the West coast of Africa to France, Denmark and then ultimately Greenland
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Byrens
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the book Phil referenced is Collapse by Jared Diamond, who also wrote Guns, Germs and Steel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Klarmann
Germany
Bad Schönborn
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My idea for the game actually came from an article in a magazine, then the book: The Greenlanders by Jane Smiley. Jared Diamond's book provided some further inspiration for Phil and the rest is history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Philipp Klarmann wrote:
My idea for the game actually came from an article in a magazine, then the book: The Greenlanders by Jane Smiley. Jared Diamond's book provided some further inspiration for Phil and the rest is history.

Thank you. I'll have to pick up The Greenlanders by Jane Smiley and Collapse by Jared Diamond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Cormode
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read Collapse and I quite enjoyed it. The Greenlanders sounds great. I think I'll order that one.

I'll have to check out these other book recommendations, as well. Thanks for that everyone. ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.