Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Price
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
The owls are not what they seem.
badge
I've got good news. That gum you like is going to come back in style.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Everyone!

I'm sure this is familiar to a lot of you but a friend pointed me here and after a little casual browsing I've developed a full blown BGG addition.

This community is such an incredible resource. Embarrassingly, prior to discovering BGG, I was only familiar with the classic Hasbro games with a little Catan in college. After a lot of careful research I discovered a local game store and left with a pretty good haul:

Space Munchkin
King of Tokyo
The Resistance (I'm having a large group over to play this tomorrow)
Cthulhu Fluxx

I was only planning to buy one inexpensive game but I just couldn't stop!

I also have Dominion in the mail (I grabbed it from the marketplace for $15!) laugh
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ikr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Its always kind to share. The passion for the hobby is seemingly universal once bitten. Glad to meet you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With a little research you can get some great deals on the BGG marketplace and the auctions (just make sure to price check at Amazon and coolstuffinc).

Once you have a bunch of games, slow down buying and find out what you really like and what you can realistically get played. Otherwise you'll spend a lot of effort reselling...

Good luck and welcome to BGG!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

Yeah, I think we've all been there.

Like the above poster said, once you've tried a lot of games, you may want to note other BGG users who tend to highly rate the same games you do. Then on the pull down menu (next to the flag & envelope) below their name, you can click on it and select "Add GeekBuddy". Once you've got a nice group of GeekBuddies, when you look at a game you know nothing about, go down to the Statistics section and click "GeekBuddy Analysis" to see what they thought of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chockle wrote:
Welcome to BGG!

Like the above poster said, once you've tried a lot of games, you may want to note other BGG users who tend to highly rate the same games you do. Then on the pull down menu (next to the flag & envelope) below their name, you can click on it and select "Add GeekBuddy". Once you've got a nice group of GeekBuddies, when you look at a game you know nothing about, go down to the Statistics section and click "GeekBuddy Analysis" to see what they thought of this game.

What a cool tip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eaglerock79 wrote:

Three years on BGG and a few more than that into the hobby and I am right there with you shake

Addiction? I prefer to see it as strongly focused, passionate, committed, and enthusiastic. At least that's how I pitch it to my wife

Welcome to the hobby and get ready to spend and enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG! Loving the enthusiasm. Keep it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
OBSESSED‼‽
please: just very, very, very focused

Welcome to BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Aren't you glad I'm not the pied piper?
badge
I should be able to get a good grip on my Elephant when it arrives!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quickly now! Get some good board game shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
... I've developed a full blown BGG addition.

We'll be here for you when you find the pain becoming unbearable, and find yourself in need of expensive rehab.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pro tip: turn control of your finances over to your SO for awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Callahan
United States
Fort Collins
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaziam wrote:
Once you have a bunch of games, slow down buying and find out what you really like and what you can realistically get played. Otherwise you'll spend a lot of effort reselling...

I SO wish that someone had said this to me shortly after my addiction hit! This is such great advice...take it slow; add to your collection cautiously; watch not just the reviews but also the "how to play"/"session" videos; look around for a game group and play OTHER PEOPLE's copies before you buy; etc., etc.

But it is a great site, a great hobby, great group of people. Welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
JHCallahan wrote:
kaziam wrote:

I SO wish that someone had said this to me shortly after my addiction hit! This is such great advice...take it slow; add to your collection cautiously; watch not just the reviews but also the "how to play"/"session" videos; look around for a game group and play OTHER PEOPLE's copies before you buy; etc., etc.

Joe, you're lucky to live in the LA area. You can game for little or nothing, try games before you buy them, and only buy what you really like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome. For initiation, you must commit a random act of violence against an unsuspecting Hasbro or Parker Brothers game. They need to know who's taking over the neighborhood now. We'll be watching.

But seriously, welcome. I remember when i was new- it was like a whole new world opened up. Note also that people have given you some GeekGold, so you can afford an avatar picture under your name now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chockle wrote:
Welcome to BGG!

chockle: Thanks for the tip!

PS I made you my first geek buddy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alandric wrote:
ikr

alandric: I love your avatar. I wore my goonies tee-shirt yesterday coincidentally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kaziam wrote:
With a little research you can get some great deals on the BGG marketplace and the auctions (just make sure to price check at Amazon and coolstuffinc).

Good luck and welcome to BGG!!!

kaziam: Thanks for the tip! I'm understanding how easy it is to impulse buy. I'm gonna have to enact my father's rule of wait a week and if you really want it, can afford it, and don't have a birthday coming up, get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oph1d1an wrote:
Welcome. For initiation, you must commit a random act of violence against an unsuspecting Hasbro or Parker Brothers game. They need to know who's taking over the neighborhood now. We'll be watching.

But seriously, welcome. I remember when i was new- it was like a whole new world opened up. Note also that people have given you some GeekGold, so you can afford an avatar picture under your name now.

This made me LOL Now, what avatar to choose...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bondgoldfinger wrote:
eaglerock79 wrote:

Three years on BGG and a few more than that into the hobby and I am right there with you shake

Addiction? I prefer to see it as strongly focused, passionate, committed, and enthusiastic. At least that's how I pitch it to my wife

Welcome to the hobby and get ready to spend and enjoy!

Strongly focused. Love it. Can you help me with my resume, bondgoldfinger? Also, I just picked up the Best of Bond Soundtrack on Amazon for $5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JHCallahan wrote:
look around for a game group and play OTHER PEOPLE's copies before you buy; etc., etc.

GREAT TIP! My local game store has an extensive demo section I'm gonna be spending a lot of time at too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Joe, you're lucky to live in the LA area. You can game for little or nothing, try games before you buy them, and only buy what you really like.

It's nice to meet you, Tall_Walt. This is absolutely some great advice! I was reading some of your reviews and saw that you love Dominion. I'm really looking forward to learning how to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you've rated both King of Tokyo and The Resistance a 9. Glad to see you've had a great gaming day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Late to the party but:

welcomeblankJoe

Here are some guides to making the most of the site:
Every-Gamer BGG Guides
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.