Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is kind of funny. When we first started dating, she told me she doesn't like wargames. But when she mentioned she played some Warmachine and liked it well enough.

In our time together, we've played a few wargames and wargame/Euro hybrids: Washington's War, War of the Ring, Republic of Rome, Here I Stand, Twilight Struggle, Sekigahara... and she's liked (or loved) all of them. But she won't always admit it. When I set up Washington's War, she said she was playing essentially as a favor to me. Then she won and said it was fun, but it would take convincing to get her to play it again.

I've tried telling her she does, in fact, like wargames. But she's steadfast that she doesn't. Perhaps she feels it betrays her peacenik sensibilities. Maybe she feels like she's not supposed to like them.

I wonder if I should try to convince her of her true feelings or just nod and pull out another game she'll protest and then enjoy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobcatpoet wrote:
My wife is kind of funny. When we first started dating, she told me she doesn't like wargames. But when she mentioned she played some Warmachine and liked it well enough.

In our time together, we've played a few wargames and wargame/Euro hybrids: Washington's War, War of the Ring, Republic of Rome, Here I Stand, Twilight Struggle, Sekigahara... and she's liked (or loved) all of them. But she won't always admit it. When I set up Washington's War, she said she was playing essentially as a favor to me. Then she won and said it was fun, but it would take convincing to get her to play it again.

I've tried telling her she does, in fact, like wargames. But she's steadfast that she doesn't. Perhaps she feels it betrays her peacenik sensibilities. Maybe she feels like she's not supposed to like them.

I wonder if I should try to convince her of her true feelings or just nod and pull out another game she'll protest and then enjoy?

Do the latter -- just nod & pull out another game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a picture and post it on your gallery every time you both play a wargame.

Eventually, she won't be able to deny the evidence.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aasted
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, I spend Geek Gold on useless things like this.
badge
Gloria: [to Robot] I'm just scared I'll come home one day and find you screwing a toaster.
mbmbmbmbmb
Be caring and understanding of her willingness to play them with you. She'll think she's getting one over on you and enjoy the praise while secretly enjoying the games herself. In reality you're "playing" her to achieve what you want while she thinks she's got one up on you. It's kind of like the Cold War, move, counter move. As long as she keeps playing them you're winning, regardless what happens on the table.

Sounds like you've got a winner already with her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't over think it, let her have her denial and just enjoy the games.cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
For now.
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I was expecting an entirely different type of thread after reading the title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shauneroo wrote:
I was expecting an entirely different type of thread after reading the title.

That would be an entirely different forum!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest using another name for wargames. How about "historical games"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: My Wife Won't Admit She Enjoys This any
Hungadunga wrote:
I suggest using another name for wargames. How about "historical games"?
Yeah! Does Y-O-U-R-S 'play' "Like" RISK or Monopoly? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. SCHMITT
France
Alsace
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is fraus punica laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Polk
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobcatpoet wrote:

Stop right there. You have someone who likes wargames but doesn't say so.

Point #1: You already have the envy of 75% of the wargaming populace.
Point #2: I fear you would risk ending up with someone who says they enjoy wargames but doesn't mean it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkEA wrote:
Sounds like you've got a winner already with her.

No question there! I hope I didn't sound like I was complaining; I'm amused by this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe mcgrath
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Maybe she's just faking it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Künzle
Germany
Rostock
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. I've heard over 50% of all woman are faking their wargasms. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doe Gibson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobcatpoet wrote:

Does she play these games with anyone besides you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Tremoureux
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Amusing to see none reply by wife/women...
To me it seems it would easier to handle such situation by being wargamer and homosexual
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doe Gibson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trem_pk wrote:
Amusing to see none reply by wife/women...
To me it seems it would easier to handle such situation by being wargamer and homosexual

I am a woman and a wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Sounds like a New Yorker cartoon:

"Yes, honey, wargames are terrible. Now, are you going to move your Carthaginian fleet to sack Rome this turn or not?"

Or maybe Lockhorns, but I think they were more into bowling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin F
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend is the exact same way. When I told her I bought Cuba Libre, she looked like she was about to vomit. Then she played it with me as a favor, and when we finished she was like "I love it".

The other day she told me she looked up info about a game called Here I Stand; not going to lie, I teared up a little on the inside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as she'll play with you and enjoy it, count your blessings and let her call them anything she wants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of these games are not wargames anyway, according to some people …

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Mallet wrote:
Some of these games are not wargames anyway, according to some people …

devil
sauron
robot SOME of them "supposed" WAR gammers t'weren't as well then, eh wot ole "Grognard"? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trem_pk wrote:

Sorry, born this way.

As to the question of if she plays this with others: It's seldom we play games without each other. But I have no doubt she would play Republic of Rome without me. Here I Stand, probably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time to introduce her to ConSims.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Bailey
United States
Carrboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to convince will probably have the opposite effect, so go with option B and let her live in denial because it benefits you anyway. I have a similar problem with my girlfriend, but she claims to HATE boardgaming altogether. Yet despite this she plays Andean Abyss, Labyrinth, Commands and Colors, ect, sometimes and ALWAYS wins. Not only that she always seems to really enjoy the experience. One week we played Andean Abyss everyday for 5 days in a row and she still talks like she doesn't like boardgames whatsoever. So ya, rather than try to convince her that she is a closet gamer I just let her go on being smug about something which she clearly secretly likes to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.