Mark Cleland
Canada
Carlisle
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was really excited to play this with my son after watching Rodney's video. My son is Luke as well so he gets pumped when Luke is in a video.
That seems like 6 months ago..... We moved on to x wing (in stock) and are having a blast.
I will likely still pick it up... But I'm feeling like demand might have softened with all the other great releases?
Time will tell

Edit: well within 24 hours of this post, my local comic shop got 2 starters in stock. I picked one up, rewatched Rodney's watch it played video with my son (6), and played the game. It was a lot of fun... like a LOT of fun. We will stick to simple games with just the starter for now, but this was a great add for our family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"RAWR!" means "I love you" in kaiju.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Has any one else lost interest in this a bit?
I'll admit that the excitement has left quite a bit. Hopefully, the next expansion will rekindle my interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

That happens. I have just gotten to the point where I have enough great games that I am pretty satisfied with my collection. I don't have a strong desire to buy more, or move onto the next big game. I just want to expand on what I have and get plenty of play out of it.

I was able to get Marvel Dice Masters. I've been pretty lucky with collecting it, actually. I'm not interested in tournaments or hyper-competitive play. For me, it's just a fun superhero-themed dice game that is competitive, more fun than Legendary (which I did not really like due to my Ascension fandom), and quicker and easier to setup than HeroClix. So Marvel Dice Masters still hits the table a lot.

But now it's competing with other great two-player games like Sentinels of the Multiverse, BattleCON, Mage Wars, Blood Bowl: Team Manager, and Star Trek: Attack Wing.

My friend really wants to get back into Descent: Journeys in the Dark and I want to get into Battlestations, and when Chaosmos gets in I'm going to want to play a lot of that.

Right now, Dice Masters hits the table because its faster to play, easier to setup, and superhero themed. But its competing with a lot of great games, and Sentinels of the Multiverse in particular is starting to nudge it out with other games like BattleCON and Mage Wars filling the competitive head-to-head desire.

When my preorder of Uncanny X-men comes, I expect we'll see a resurgence in this though so I'm not worried. I don't want to keep collecting forever... just enough that me and my friends can make a variety of decks to build against each other. But I can't help it... I get that collecting bug. So now I have a huge set, and I'm helping a friend build his own with all my duplicates, while I have a pre-order for more.

One thing that helps, I think is that Dice Masters is just more fun to collect right now. I love that you can find one card that you didn't have and its a big change because it uses all your other dice - so it's like getting 3 or 4 of a card you didn't have, if collecting another game. Plus, I'm a huge X-men fan so the fact that they keep running with X-men has me X-static.

Dice Masters is a good game. It's not a great game. Not by a long shot. I do think it is one of the best dice games there is right now, and one of the best superhero games out there. But that's not really saying much. I'm still hoping for better similiar products in the future, but in the meantime I think I'll be happy for awhile playing the games I have.

I can usually only collect one game at a time. I'm done with Attack Wing for awhile, and have moved onto Dice Masters. Dice Masters may not be easy to find, but its easy to collect and has a low price point when you do find stock. There's nothing wrong with focusing on X-wing right now. There's likely to be plenty of stock by late September, which might just be when you are ready to put X-Wing aside for awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Never had any interest to lose

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bohm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely lost some interest. I was quite excited after the Watch It Played videos as well, but lack of availability is slowly killing it for me. When all you own is a starter set and none of your friends can get a copy, it's hard to stay excited about the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Even with a couple of timing issues that still need resolved to my satisfaction it's still a great game. Every time I think I'm ready to give it a rest my enthusiasm is renewed with my next play session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohmoplata wrote:
Definitely lost some interest. I was quite excited after the Watch It Played videos as well, but lack of availability is slowly killing it for me. When all you own is a starter set and none of your friends can get a copy, it's hard to stay excited about the game.

I know what you mean about lack of availability and nobody to play with, on release day I was the only person I new with the game. None of my friends had it until the first restock.

Get new friends. Now, you can keep your old ones if you want, but find the other people in your area who have the game and start playing. On release day there were only 3 copies to be had in my city of 400,000. So I had to beat the bushes until I found the other copies, or rather those who like myself were lucky enough to get their preorder when it released. It's not a perfect option, but it was better than the alternative for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I just share my set with all my friends. We treat it like any other board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the idea of the game, but I don't really care about the superhero theme (I've never heard of about a third of the characters).

So the longer this remains unavailable, the more likely I am to just wait for the D&D version (or make my own Star Wars version).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Miller
United States
Hoover
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:

Then...why are you in the Marvel Dice Masters forums?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mitchellcmiller wrote:
silverbowen wrote:

It's easy to get lost in the Internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kampes
United States
Parkton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Boehland wrote:
mitchellcmiller wrote:
silverbowen wrote:

It's easy to get lost in the Internet.

I'm still looking for the end if the internet myself. Still haven't found it, but this was a nice stop along the way. Now back to the search.

Edit: no, I haven't lost interest in MDM yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
But now it's competing with other great two-player games like Sentinels of the Multiverse, BattleCON, Mage Wars, Blood Bowl: Team Manager, and Star Trek: Attack Wing.

That's my story as well. After playing for a bit, my wife and I'd rather play BattleCon or Star Realms or sometimes Yomi. There's lots of other good head-to-head battlers out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kc2dpt wrote:
lordrahvin wrote:

That's my story as well. After playing for a bit, my wife and I'd rather play BattleCon or Star Realms or sometimes Yomi. There's lots of other good head-to-head battlers out there.

It's a good problem to have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
The lack of availability sorta killed my excitement. Also, I have no idea what I'm supposed to buy. I don't want to treat any board game like some competitive magic type game. I just want to whip it out once a month and play with friends. If I can't get a good game going with just the starter than I'm lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.C. Wendel
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A game store near me actually had some boosters (limit 10 per customer, which I thought was cool, and they weren't scalping, either.) But seeing as I don't have a starter, I decided to pass.

If I ever actually find a starter I will probably get it, but the poor distribution mixed with the greedy scalping have definitely cooled my interest in this. I just want it to be a superhero game that's fun, not a huge financial investment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICE 0ne
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My interest in constructed has waned due to the last OP event I went to everyone was running Tsarina, and half the players were also running Gobby. At least there's still rainbow draft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ICE 0ne wrote:
My interest in constructed has waned due to the last OP event I went to everyone was running Tsarina, and half the players were also running Gobby. At least there's still rainbow draft.

Did you bring one of the teams that beats Tsarina and Gobby? That is the best way to discourage their use. That's what I did. I have a complete set, but took a team of commons and uncommons because I thought they gave me the best chance of victory in a field full of T&G. I actually like looking across the table and seeing Tsarina and/or Gobby.

Win a couple of events without using T&G and pretty soon everyone else will be copying your team or building to beat it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
ICE 0ne wrote:

This is why I lost interest. I have no idea what this guy just said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
ICE 0ne wrote:

I'm not sure if you're referring to me. If you are I said play to the local environment. If everybody is playing team "X" bring a team that beats "X".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tacullu64 wrote:
broken clock wrote:
ICE 0ne wrote:

I'm not sure if you're referring to me. If you are I said play to the local environment. If everybody is playing team "X" bring a team that beats "X".

No, I believe he was referring to the comment he quoted. And his comment highlights something interesting about this game. It seems to have attracted two *very* different demographics of people - those who have been involved in CCGs and competitive play and those who are standard board gamers with no customizable game and competitive experience. And all the jargon and abbreviations from competitive players can be really intimidating, irritating and isolating to people who have never been involved in such a game. I have yet to see a post using the word "Organized Play" instead of OP. What does it mean and why is it significant when you say, "Running a Tsarina deck or running a Gobby deck." Then there's all the Magic the Gathering terminology that can make it's way into the game to isolate people even further. What does it mean to be able to tutor a particular die for example? (To be fair, I haven't seen anybody use this terminology yet, thankfully.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave M
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saucerboy wrote:
I was really excited to play this with my son after watching Rodney's video. My son is Luke as well so he gets pumped when Luke is in a video.
That seems like 6 months ago..... We moved on to x wing (in stock) and are having a blast.
I will likely still pick it up... But I'm feeling like demand might have softened with all the other great releases?
Time will tell

It's just a waiting game at this point for more stuff or for more people to pick up stuff. My interest is still strong, but I'm not as focused because I don't have a ton of people to play against in my area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saucerboy wrote:
Time will tell

Edit: well within 24 hours of this post, my local comic shop got 2 starters in stock. I picked one up, rewatched Rodney's watch it played video with my son (6), and played the game. It was a lot of fun... like a LOT of fun. We will stick to simple games with just the starter for now, but this was a great add for our family.

Glad to hear you were able to pick up a copy. Even more glad to hear you are enjoying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
Saucerboy wrote:
Time will tell

This is a hysterical post that is BGG in a nutshell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cleland
Canada
Carlisle
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if ironic is the right word. I don't post much, but was reflecting on how my feelings had changed....... But did they?
My hope is that if they can make this game have a low barrier to entry for new folks, this great hobby of board gaming can grow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.