Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Just unearthed what I think may be a treasure... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Charles
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
So my in-laws are selling their house, and my wife and I naturally got boxes of old stuff. In the box of LPs, along with some great Dukes of Dixieland and the like, was this:
They're at the Post
It's a horse racing/betting game. After betting you put on a record that plays out the race.
We like to toss around the term "innovation" a lot in modern board games.
Each of eight records has multiple spiral arms that effectively selects a random set of Win-Place-Show. I've never even heard of records that use multiple spirals.
I'm not yet sure how many different outcomes are cut into each record, but 8^8 = 16,777,216.
That's re-playability.
We've not yet played it, but this has the makings of the perfect dinner party game.
Has anyone played?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
CharlieSaxon wrote:
I've never even heard of records that use multiple spirals.

Wikipedia article on Multisided Records

Earliest example listed dates from 1901
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
CharlieSaxon wrote:
I'm not yet sure how many different outcomes are cut into each record, but 8^8 = 16,777,216.

That assumes 8 tracks per record? The BGG page suggests 190 possible outcomes which would suggests perhaps 2 tracks per side resulting in 256 tracks. Perhaps not all unique to get down to 190 or so?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Computerized in 1975 meant spewing out some random results on paper. The "over" 190 outcomes is likely the vinyl limitations. But it does sound fun.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
8 complete races on 4 LP records

One race (track or names or whatever) on each side of an LP. 24 possible outcomes (guessing now.) 8 x 24 = 192.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Charles
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
CharlieSaxon wrote:
I've never even heard of records that use multiple spirals.

Wikipedia article on Multisided Records

Earliest example listed dates from 1901


Thanks for the research (wikipedia though it may be). I guess I'm not surprised that a board game didn't invent it.

For RPGs I've got a dice roller on my phone. No one (including me) likes it. Rolling real dice is so much more satisfying. The physically different tracks are like big, slowly revealed dice. It's like watching a die wait to settle for several minutes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Charles
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
CharlieSaxon wrote:
I'm not yet sure how many different outcomes are cut into each record, but 8^8 = 16,777,216.

That assumes 8 tracks per record? The BGG page suggests 190 possible outcomes which would suggests perhaps 2 tracks per side resulting in 256 tracks. Perhaps not all unique to get down to 190 or so?


I pulled the eight tracks per side, pretty much out of my butt. As mentioned above, we haven't actually played it yet. But I did put the first race (side of a record) on the record player and the needle advanced inward at at least 4 times normal speed.

Once we've given it a play I'll try and figure out how many results each race has and re-math. But you are certainly right in your observation. 190 suggests that only some races have multiple outcomes.

Still looking forward to the races, even without 16.7 million permutations.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Charles
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
bltzlfsk wrote:
8 complete races on 4 LP records

One race (track or names or whatever) on each side of an LP. 24 possible outcomes (guessing now.) 8 x 24 = 192.



If each race (side) does have 24 outcomes, then there are an absurd number of permutations. After we've given it a few plays I'll spend some time looking for each start point on a side. No spoilers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CharlieSaxon wrote:
bltzlfsk wrote:
8 complete races on 4 LP records

One race (track or names or whatever) on each side of an LP. 24 possible outcomes (guessing now.) 8 x 24 = 192.



If each race (side) does have 24 outcomes, then there are an absurd number of permutations. After we've given it a few plays I'll spend some time looking for each start point on a side. No spoilers.


I expect any given outcome would be the same if the needle hits the same track. We're talking analog and hard coded. But even then the win-place-show is worth the suspense.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds awesome.

Someone should reissue this with an mp3 playlist. Place your bets, set your phone on shuffle, and hit play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob McMurray
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember playing this, and it being a very big deal, back in the mid to late 70s. My sister and brother-in-law still have it. When it first came out it was a huge crowd-pleaser (as you suspected) especially for large outdoor events (backyard holiday bbq for instance) that could add a semblance of real racetrack feel. As a tween I couldn't experience this enough.

Fast forward to about 5 years ago when we busted this out at the family Thanksgiving party. For some reason it was very lame (maybe it couldn't live up to the legendary status it had acquired in our memories) and actually did NOT feel like there was much replay-ability: just random outcomes and the records, at their age, may have had some mechanical biases repeating the results too often.

My recommendation is to play it as you have the right "itch". Our recent experience was unique in the sense that our newest play was competing with its own legacy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dolton

Pennsylvania
msg tools
I think it sounds intriguing. Let us know how it actually plays out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Islay wrote:
I remember playing this, and it being a very big deal, back in the mid to late 70s. My sister and brother-in-law still have it. When it first came out it was a huge crowd-pleaser (as you suspected) especially for large outdoor events (backyard holiday bbq for instance) that could add a semblance of real racetrack feel. As a tween I couldn't experience this enough.

Fast forward to about 5 years ago when we busted this out at the family Thanksgiving party. For some reason it was very lame (maybe it couldn't live up to the legendary status it had acquired in our memories) and actually did NOT feel like there was much replay-ability: just random outcomes and the records, at their age, may have had some mechanical biases repeating the results too often.

My recommendation is to play it as you have the right "itch". Our recent experience was unique in the sense that our newest play was competing with its own legacy.
It was lame because in today's world, you'd need video. If you had video, they'd eat it up. I offer as evidence the fact that even though the outcome is predetermined and the race is a sham, the stadium goes berserk cheering for the coffee or the donut or the bagel to win the race. Same concept.

Pete (is fairly certain that's why)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not too long ago I was listening to a Sound Options podcast on baseball rock music and someone recalled a baseball board game that used the same basic technology - multi track records. You would drop the needle "randomly" on the record and it would play an at bat as portrayed by a radio announcer. There were different records for each team.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.