United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up an unpunched copy of Magic Realm, and its a mess of side nibs. Suggestions on how to handle this? I'm not a wargamer, but I want them to look amazing. Should I clip the corners even if they don't have chars? How do I deal with the circle counters?
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Simple, just get a new, sharp X-acto blade and use their 'handle' or grasp that yourself with the larger sort, and gently press onto where these are connected until you cut that apart. Since 'moi' WERE truly capable with grasping that system entirely, then, I can proceed down an entire length clipping that in turn in quick procession. Now, for MY Wizard's Quest "in" the same exact condition as this one of yours, here, it is more trickier. Luckily, my copy of the one you do have also, included extensive copies for magazine articles etc. and makes that weigh over TWICE now!
coolcool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would clip the corners, and also use the clippers to trim off the nubs on the sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oregon Laminations 2mm clippers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
1) scan to pdf front and back of all counter sheets.

2) xacto knife all horizontal and vertical die cuts. remove counters. sometime a steel ruler helps.

3) nail clippers used on all corners to get rid of any nibs left over.

4) any side nibs that bug you can be trimmed with nail clippers turned perpendicular to the counter.

5) watch tv or listen to some tunes while you do this - it helps....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
I find that a good pair of scissors (not the cheap flimsy ones), used carefully, will work fine for both square and round counters after they are punched.

Note that clipping the corners of the square counters, which some wargamers like to do, is unnecessary for Magic Realm as you will not have stacks of counters in close proximity to each other. Save yourself some time and just worry about cleaning up the nibs.

If you are really lazy, just punching out the counters and playing with them as-is will also work... again because there is no close stacking in this game. The counters will just look a little nicer if you trim off the nibs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No need to buy any special tool, just use a pair of nail clippers and carefully just remove the nibs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a rotary cutter to remove side-mounted counters - this gets rid of most of the nib, then I either go over the side again with the rotary cutter slightly to remove any remaining portion, or use an x-acto knife for those stubborn bits that are a little too angled up onto the surface of the counter for the rotary cutter to get to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tieman
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks guys! I'm headed to the fabric store to grab a rotary cutter, an exacto knife, and a pepperoni pizza. Cutting time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your fabric store sells pizza!!! Sweet.

Also, I wouldn't round the corners on magic realm, because counter density is not an issue and it can hurt the resell value of the game, since many do not like rounded corners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tieman
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya, I decided against rounding corners, just using an exacto knife to get them out and get rid of the side nibs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.