Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
In what situation would it be advantageous to swap places with the car behind you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
da pyrate wrote:
In what situation would it be advantageous to swap places with the car behind you?

You don't swap with a car behind you. You swap places with a car you are behind.

The wording on the card: The active car may exchange places with any car that it is directly behind for 1 MP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
da pyrate wrote:

You don't swap with a car behind you. You swap places with a car you are behind.

The wording on the card: The active car may exchange places with any car that it is directly behind for 1 MP

I goofed on that one.

Thanks for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
RPardoe wrote:
da pyrate wrote:

I goofed on that one.

Thanks for your help.

Common goof. Remember that if it doesn't make sense, you should probably read it closer - most everything makes sense in this game thematically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone I teach the game to reads this card wrong. It is indeed an awkward wording.
Should have been: "The active car may exchange places with any car directly in front of it for 1 MP."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Sheffield
United States
Aberdeen
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That probably could be worded a bit better :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understood the card the first time I saw it. Lots of people have misread it, but apparently reading comprehension is a rare super power these days

That or the racing term "working the pack" is foreign to non race fans. (This term is also used in horse racing, not just automobile racing)

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
I understood the card the first time I saw it. Lots of people have misread it, but apparently reading comprehension is a rare super power these days

That or the racing term "working the pack" is foreign to non race fans. (This term is also used in horse racing, not just automobile racing)

Cameron

Apparently, being a super-power, Americans are well known for their powers of comprehension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
Zeede wrote:

Cameron

Apparently, being a super-power, Americans are well known for their powers of comprehension.

As noted earlier, it could have been worded better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Vrooman wrote:
da pyrate wrote:
Zeede wrote:

Cameron

As noted earlier, it could have been worded better.

Meh. The wording is fine. It could have been worded differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
It is pretty 'meh'. But if it were worded differently, it would presumably be worded better. This doesn't detract from the fact that this is an addictive and excellent multi-player racing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:

I dunno, all of the people I've seen misunderstand this card were Americans, but that may have something to do with my gaming group only consisting of Americans

"Four out of ten Americans misunderstood this card." - totally unscientific study.

Cameron

Edit: "The active car may exchange places with any car that is directly in front of it for 1 MP." is how I would re-word it for less confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
da pyrate wrote:

I dunno, all of the people I've seen misunderstand this card were Americans, but that may have something to do with my gaming group only consisting of Americans

"Four out of ten Americans misunderstood this card." - totally unscientific study.

Cameron

Edit: "The active car may exchange places with any car that is directly in front of it for 1 MP." is how I would re-word it for less confusion.

It's almost exactly what I proposed above. (See? We do belong on the same team...)

I think that people expect the card to read this way, and it's precisely the reason why it seems to confuse so many people. There's nothing intuitive about it, and it feels like a rather convoluted way to express such a simple concept. As a result, many first-time players either read it wrong (because of their expectations) or end up asking questions about it to make sure they're reading it right.

I would guess that if you told 10 people what Working the Pack does and then asked them to write the text for the card, nine of them would use the "in front of it" phrase. Indeed, I would be surprised to hear anyone describe the card's effect and NOT use that phrase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.