Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am considering flying the following list at my FLGS next Friday. I am a fairly new player, and I know the Tie Advanced has a bad rap, but I would love to include one in my squad and was wondering what you folks think of this list:

Maarek Stele - Assault Missiles (5), Deadeye (1), Munitions Failsafe (1)

Scimitar Squadron Pilot - Cluster Missiles x 2, Proximity Mines, Stealth Device

Alpha Squadron Pilot x 2

Any suggestions, hints, or should I abandon this idea altogether? Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of problems with that list, yeah.

1) NEVER fly Maarek Steele. He's godawful overpriced. If you ABSOLUTELY MUST...then use Marksmanship with him, as it at least pairs with his named ability a bit. But, seriously, 9 times out of 10? Vader is the only Advanced pilot you'll ever really find remotely competitive.

2) Secondary weapons are...somewhat overrated. They CAN be useful, but generally go sparingly with them. That whole 'discard to use' thing means you are spending a LOT for them, and in running the numbers - as often as not - the rerolls a target lock would get you on its OWN are competitive with what the secondary gives you. (Which isn't to say "bring none" - some missiles/torpedoes can be quite useful to tote along one of to deal with adversaries your list wouldn't otherwise handle well)

3) Sort of speaking to that second point...TIE Bombers *are* surprisingly resilient, yes. However, they aren't THAT resilient. I'd say a good rule of thumb (again, barring specific builds you have a plan to deal with) is no more than two secondaries per bomber. Loading a single bomber up with ALL THAT ordnance is just going to guarantee it dies before it can use it all, and then that's a LOT of points wasted.

4) You've actually got a lot of fighters that don't have a high degree of synergy with each other. That is - they don't have abilities that build off each other, and they don't really fly much like each other. Splitting up yours forces is USUALLY a very bad idea, indeed. It allows an enemy to focus on elements of your forces, and 'defeat you in detail'. High experience and good familiarity with maneuver CAN work that to your advantage - but when starting out, I'd recommend sticking with less variety in craft, and more consistency in maneuver options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:

Thanks for the quick feedback.

Considered your advice and came up with this list:

Darth Vader - Cluster Missiles, Veteran Instincts, Stealth Device

Saber Squadron Pilot - Swarm Tactics

Alpha Squadron Pilot - Targeting Computer

Alpha Squadron Pilot - Targeting Computer

More consistent ships, less points wasted on munitions, what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey, and welcome!

VI on Vader is a no from me.

Clusters aren't my bag. Google some of the math on Cluster vs. Concussion. But, YMMV, of course.

ST on a PS4 is not great. I dig that you want to fly Interceptors. With TC, they're "super-guns" but really only if they have PTL.

If you want keep a similar thing I'd do:
Darth Vader (29)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Saber Squadron Pilot (21)
Push the Limit (3)
Targeting Computer (2)

Alpha Squadron Pilot (18)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder
And keep a point for initiative.

Dig this for your PTL TIE/In needs:
http://teamcovenant.com/theorist/2014/03/07/how-to-fly-the-p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
XanderF wrote:

Thanks for the quick feedback.

Considered your advice and came up with this list:

Darth Vader - Cluster Missiles, Veteran Instincts, Stealth Device

Saber Squadron Pilot - Swarm Tactics (2)

Alpha Squadron Pilot - Targeting Computer (2)

Alpha Squadron Pilot - Targeting Computer (2)

More consistent ships, less points wasted on munitions, what do you think?

Personally, I don't like naked Interceptors - and every Interceptor that doesn't have Push the Limit is naked to me PtL makes them able to "barrelrollboost" for insane maneuverability, or "focusevade" for great defense.

Targeting Computer isn't actually awesome on them, either, since you already have so many possible actions that you can take with them.

All in all, I'd rather fly three Academy Pilots than two Alpha Squadrons, for the same point cost.

As for Darth Vader, I find he really benefits from Engine Upgrade, as that also gives him the option to use both Barrel Roll and Boost (potentially in the same round). I find it's also better than Stealth Device, because it helps you get out of firing arcs entirely. Not being shot at is even better than having an additional defense dice. He's already PS9, so Veteran Instincts on him only really helps you against Phantoms and maybe Han Solo.

However, I just flew against a newer player this last week and we played two lists that rely on maneuverability - it was a bit of a disaster, as high-maneuverability lists require quite a bit of practice to be efficient. So if you don't mind gaining practice and maybe losing, this is great. If you'd rather win, flying a Falcon instead might make sense.

Keeping with your theme, what do you think about this? (Turr doesn't need PtL as much, as he already gets to do two actions, and this works with the points you have).

Darth Vader (36)
TIE Advanced (29), Predator (3), Engine Upgrade (4)

Turr Phennir (28)
TIE Interceptor (25), Stealth Device (3)

Academy Pilot (12)
Academy Pilot (12)
Academy Pilot (12)

Edit: I also like Vallador's recommendation for Vader and the Saber super gun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vallador wrote:

If you want keep a similar thing I'd do:
Darth Vader (29)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Saber Squadron Pilot (21)
Push the Limit (3)
Targeting Computer (2)

This list looks great! Thanks for taking the time to help me out. So much strategy involved in squad building, it is a little overwhelming at first. This is all great advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
I just flew against a newer player this last week and we played two lists that rely on maneuverability - it was a bit of a disaster, as high-maneuverability lists require quite a bit of practice to be efficient. So if you don't mind gaining practice and maybe losing, this is great. If you'd rather win, flying a Falcon instead might make sense.

Keeping with your theme, what do you think about this? (Turr doesn't need PtL as much, as he already gets to do two actions, and this works with the points you have).

Darth Vader (36)
TIE Advanced (29), Predator (3), Engine Upgrade (4)

Turr Phennir (28)
TIE Interceptor (25), Stealth Device (3)

Academy Pilot (12)
Academy Pilot (12)
Academy Pilot (12)

Edit: I also like Vallador's recommendation for Vader and the Saber super gun.

Also a great suggested list. Thank you. And I definitely don't mind losing at first. I am more interested in learning how to fly well than winning immediately! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Finally. Haslo's "ninja'd" me at least twice and now it's my turn. We post similar strategies at almost exactly the same time. I'm not fully convinced that we're not the same person... heart

I really like his list, too. I would swap either SD or Pred for PTL on Turr, though. Or both for PTL+TC on Turr, 1 for init. If you save PTL for the post-shot boost/BR, you can Push the other, and completely mind-frag the guy that was about shoot you.

On the Empire side, the more ships, the more forgiving. 3-4 ship builds are notoriously hard to fly for us.

Darth Vader (29)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Turr Phennir (25)
Push the Limit (3)
Targeting Computer (2)

Academy Pilot (12)

Academy Pilot (12)

Academy Pilot (12)

If you haven't seen them, I'd recommend Piqsid's amazing maneuvering threads. Google BGG Piqsid Maneuvering 101 and if you can't find them, I'll link.

GL!

Edit: clerical error. need to fire my amanuensis (I just looked that up while drunk, but will be using it extensively from now on...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vallador wrote:
Edit: clerical error. need to fire my amanuensis (I just looked that up while drunk, but will be using it extensively from now on...)

Squad building and vocabulary lessons! You cats are amazing. I have been playing against the AI webapp at home, which has been great maneuvering practice, but I have definitely underestimated the importance of squad building. It's quite the rabbit hole to disappear down.

Thanks again for the very useful and friendly advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vallador wrote:
Darth Vader (29)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Turr Phennir (25)
Push the Limit (3)
Targeting Computer (2)

Academy Pilot (12)

Academy Pilot (12)

Academy Pilot (12)

If you haven't seen them, I'd recommend Piqsid's amazing maneuvering threads. Google BGG Piqsid Maneuvering 101 and if you can't find them, I'll link.

Thanks Vallador! I am going to try this list out. And I found Piqsid's threads, great stuff.

One more question, if I may be so bold, can you recommend a fairly easy to fly rebel list to face this squadron? Going to teach my girlfriend to play this weekend. Looking for something fairly durable without too much complicated interplay and a fair amount of shielding/hull. I imagine something Falcon based, but open to any suggestions. Thanks.

Edit: for necessary info - I own 2xXwing, 2xBwing, Falcon, 1xEwing, 1xYwing, 1xAwing, 1xcore, 2xTie, 2xImperial Aces, 1xInterceptor, 1xPhantom, 1xDefender, 1xShuttle, 1xFirespray, 1xBomber, 1xAdvance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Dibrell
United States
Klamath Falls
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It looks like you have 3 X-Wings. I'd go with that for her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Morgan
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or maybe YT and 2 (B-Wings or X-Wings) with a few upgrades

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Masterhit wrote:
Or maybe YT and 2 (B-Wings or X-Wings) with a few upgrades

That, or some XXBB variant. "Bloody Daggers" is a staple, and you have all the bits for it:

2x Red Squadron X-Wing
2x Dagger Squadron B-Wing with Advanced Sensors

B-Wings with Advanced Sensors aren't exactly easy to fly, but being able to Barrel Roll before their movement helps their maneuverability a lot.

For less maneuverability and more dice (with slightly lower pilot skill):

2x Rookie X-Wing
2x Blue Squadron B-Wing with Heavy Laser Cannon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. I cannot believe how helpful the folks on BGG are. Off to actually play a game now!! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Thought I'd throw out another Interceptor list. It's certainly not original, but it's fun.

Saber x3 [63]
Avenger x1 [20]
Back Stabber [16]
Total [99]

With naked Interceptors, it can be a bit of a crap shoot, though.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.