Sam Hatch
Australia
Mudgeeraba
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

This is my first time posting on BGG, so please be gentle

I've just bought the core set, and haven't had a chance to play it yet, but trying to get a handle of the rules.

With secondary weapons (in this case the proton torpedoes), can you use them over and over again? Or is it a 1 time only deal? (and I know you have to have a lock already)

But if you can use them all the time you have a lock, wouldn't you just use them all the time? they seem way more powerful than primary lasers.

Like I said, I haven't got to really play it yet, but it does seem like the PT's are what you'd always fire right?

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the weapon. Torpedoes and Missiles all say to discard them after firing. You've got one shot with those Torpedoes. Make it count.

There are cannons and turrets which you can use over and over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hatch
Australia
Mudgeeraba
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Scott, wow, I totally missed that part of the card. Thanks for helping out this male-blindness-stricken noob! blush

SO with the other upgrade cards like the astromech ones and the ones with the little medal, they don't mention to discard, you can just keep using them the whole time?

In that case the marksmanship card seems like you'd be using it every round also. Is that correct? Does that make using that marksmanship card somewhat overpowered?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
ladofdestiny wrote:
SO with the other upgrade cards like the astromech ones and the ones with the little medal, they don't mention to discard, you can just keep using them the whole time?

Yep, that's correct. Only cards that tell you to discard them are discarded.

ladofdestiny wrote:
In that case the marksmanship card seems like you'd be using it every round also. Is that correct? Does that make using that marksmanship card somewhat overpowered?

The trouble with Marksmanship is that it requires an action to be used. You only get to turn eye results over to hits and crits if you spent your sole action on "I do Markmanship" in the same round. The thing is that Markmanship is only marginally better than the Focus action for most pilots, so the cost of four points for this particular upgrade makes it actually one of the weaker ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Morgan
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marksman is decent but far from overpowered because you must take it as your action and it's only marginally better than taking a focus. Crits are good but versus many ships they end up hitting a shield.

With some pilots marksman is quite good - but often (in my theorycrafting) you'd rather take something like Predator or Push the Limit or maybe even engine upgrade for the flexibility it provides (depending again on your ship/pilot).

ladofdestiny wrote:

The trouble with Marksmanship is that it requires an action to be used. You only get to turn eye results over to hits and crits if you spent your sole action on "I do Markmanship" in the same round. The thing is that Markmanship is only marginally better than the Focus action for most pilots, so the cost of four points for this particular upgrade makes it actually one of the weaker ones.

Oops. never refreshed my tab! What he said!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hatch
Australia
Mudgeeraba
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you guys. This may be getting out of the original question territory, but I literally know no one who's ever played this game to get help from.... but if I only have the core set, are some of the cards (like the marksman/determination, etc) not really used yet, since I can't really "squad build" with the mere 3 ships I have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
ladofdestiny wrote:
Thank you guys. This may be getting out of the original question territory, but I literally know no one who's ever played this game to get help from.... but if I only have the core set, are some of the cards (like the marksman/determination, etc) not really used yet, since I can't really "squad build" with the mere 3 ships I have?

Of course, the more ships you have (with the upgrades that go with them), the more options you get. For example, as soon as you have a TIE Bomber, you get Advanced Proton Torpedoes that you can use for your X-Wings as well. Not all cards are awesome with all pilots, but in general, for all expansions, you only get upgrades that you can use with the ship that was in the same box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With only two TIE/Ln and one X/W, you can't possibly reach a 100 pt squad for either faction, so don't worry to much.

That said, your two examples (Marks/Determination) should certainly be fair game in your lists. The "beginner" rules are just for a starter.

Of course, I recommend jumping in headlong and buying at least one of each!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:

The trouble with Marksmanship is that it requires an action to be used. (...) The thing is that Markmanship is only marginally better than the Focus action for most pilots(...).

For example, it works nicely with Luke, because he does have a kind of built-in defensive focus. It will also work well against unshielded empire ships, but lose some of its power versus rebels with their shields.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hatch
Australia
Mudgeeraba
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ha, yes a friend and I have bought an A-wing and a Tie Phantom (just because those were the ships we thought were cool as kids), so I guess we'll have 5 ships all up for now. I hoping that's enough to play a decent 2 player game without one side being too overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just threw together a couple 70pt lists using only your ships/cards... I'm hoping it's going to be balanced against the Phantom?

Whisper+ACD (36)
Dark Curse (16)
Mauler (17)
69pt

vs

Tycho+PTL+Homing Missiles (34)
Luke+R2D2+Proton Torp (36)
70pt

Let us know how it goes and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hatch
Australia
Mudgeeraba
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mate, thanks heaps. Wow, I really didn't even expect to get an answer to my question on these forums, instead I've got all the info I need and more.

I'm really thankful for all the help. We've since got an interceptor and 3 more x-wings (a store gave us 3 x-wings for real cheap) so I'me sure we'll have plenty for some great games now.

I noticed the rule book said a 2x2ft area is what to use, though we tried that last night, and it feels really small (or the firing range stick feels really long!), like with one move we were able to shoot.

I'm guessing you guys play with bigger areas? like 3x3ft perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ladofdestiny wrote:
I'm guessing you guys play with bigger areas? like 3x3ft perhaps?

I'm looking at Core rules, p4:
"X-Wing is not played on a board. Instead, it is played on any flat surface with at least 3’ x 3’ of space."

This is the standard and I would definitely suggest using this. There are a ton of threads you can google to find a suitable play mat, if you wish.

I personally used masking tape on my table to mark the play area before I committed to buying a mat. (I love my Gale Force 9 vinyl mat.)

Keep the questions coming, and welcome to a really fun game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hatch
Australia
Mudgeeraba
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mate, thanks for the answers.

Yeah 3x3 makes much more sense! I work as a designer at a signage company, so for free I can make myself a nice starry background piece of board. So yeah, I guess I want to know the best size before I commit as well.

My only play so far was on a 20x20inch board...no wonder it felt way too small!

In a semi-related but cool story, last night I went round to my friends house to play it for the first time (my Wife thinks it's too nerdy, and didn't want to play) but when I got there, his kid was being difficult and screaming in bed not sleeping etc, I could see that the situation was getting tense for my friend, and I didn't want him to feel bad, so I left, and headed home. On the way back I texted my wife to say I was coming back.

She must have known I was bummed at missing out on playing my game that I'd been really looking forward to, and texted back saying "hey. I've got a 2ft x 2ft black table in front of me, the kettle boiling, and 2 cups of chai tea ready to go. I'll play it with you"

Ultimate wife! She's a keeper!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Wilbie
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I hope you let her win so she is up for another game!!
Or... she beat you horribly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Maxwell
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ladofdestiny wrote:

Determination is ok, it actually gets a bit outclassed once you have a bigger range of options. Marksmanship tends to shine if you can attack multiple times with one ship in the same turn (because it applies to all attacks in a turn, not just one like focus). So the likes of the Millennium Falcon with Luke or Gunner as crew, an E-wing piloted by Corran Horn, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hatch
Australia
Mudgeeraba
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Actually yeah, she beat me horribly!

Hey! it was my first game and I got my manoeuvre dial backwards and flew off the board!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.