Popular Tags: [View All]
Royce Banuelos
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So it's obvious from the title that I'm a big fan of Quarriors. I bought the game about 3 weeks ago and it has had a lot of play not only with just my wife and I but with our board game group as well.

A few of the negative comments about the game are about the luck aspect and buying one die a turn. While I can see some merit to those complaints I don't see them as valid as far as game design is concerned.

On the discussion of luck, this is a dice based game and is inherently luck based. It would be the same as someone complaining that Burger King has too many burgers for sale. If you are buying/playing a dice based game you should know that luck will play a big factor into the gameplay. Knowing this should give you an idea if you will like the game or not.

The good thing though is that no side of any die is useless. It's not great to roll 1 Quiddity (money in the game) on the dragon but it can still be used. Many deck builders have cards that are absolutely useless and there are times in which you have nothing to do on a turn. At least with Quarriors there is always something to do with the dice.

On the subject of buying only one die per turn I disagree that this is bad game design. Quite the opposite this brings more balance to the game. Buying multiple dice on a turn could greatly affect game play if someone has one big roll. There is a limited supply of each kind of dice. If someone got a big roll and bought 3/5 of the portal's available then a big power swing takes place. Every game I've played there seems to be a fighting chance, not to mention limiting the buys forces you to make a strategy and build around it. On top of this, there are some cards that actually allow you to buy 2 dice per turn so within the original game design there is balance to this aspect of the game.

Take it or leave it, some people will find it frustrating but I really enjoy the limitation because of the balance it brings.

Another big complaint I've read is about the lack of strategy to which I don't understand. Most games have some kind of strategy to them and Quarriors is no different. First of all there are 11 or so different options on dice to buy, sure if I roll that 8 or 9 I'm taking the dragon, wizard or costly spell but what if I roll 5 Quiddity? I'll have 4-5 choices at least to contemplate. Do I buy spells early to set up a better end game or do I buy as many creatures as possible? The choices you make in the game can help determine if you win or not given the dice rolls come up well. As far as dice rolls going your way it goes back to the argument of if you like dice games in general or not.

I've played many worker placement games and more "strategic" games and just randomly made plays not even trying to win and wound up winning anyway. If you play Quarriors just randomly buying dice then of course you get the perception that there is no strategy because you played the game with no strategy. Most dice in the game are evenly balanced out, this is where you get to build your dice pool as you'd like it. I've gone with different strategies while playing and have had different outcomes based on it.

If you are getting upset rolling all Quiddity then relax a little and understand it's a light hearted game. It's quick enough to try again and not get too discouraged with it.

The only complaint I've heard that I can agree with is that the game is over too quickly. The only variant I've tried is going to 40 Glory as opposed to 20 in a two player game. It makes sense to just add to the win condition if it plays too quickly.

Quarriors is a lot of fun but is also a well designed and balanced game. As much as it can be lame to not roll what you wanted to roll it can go both ways as your opponents might have the same thing happen to them. Quarriors is exactly what it promises to be, a dice based deck building game. It delivers on all accounts. I would highly recommend it to anyone who has an interest in it. It's not for the gamer snobs but for those of us who like fun and well designed games this is a hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cozzolino
United States
Lebanon
Virginia
flag msg tools
Pretty spot on review. I agree with the strategy aspect. Dice will always add a luck element but the decisions you make when you dont get the dice you need is where the game shines. This is also why dice that let you reroll are so important to add to your bag.
the one thing i dont really agree with is buying 1 die per turn. We allow 2 dice but they can never be the same dice on one turn. But we dont play the epic variant that we have to cull dice to score. We prefer the game to go about 30 mins and it usually does. Buying more dice lets your bag build up quicker with about the last 10 mins being more focused on readying and quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
PoznaƄ
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing different games then. I absolutely fail to see what strategic decision is there, if you are allowed to buy just one dice. You simply buy the one with biggest defense potential/glory point ratio you can afford, after reading other creatures from your roll (it's always a benefit to ready creatures). It's a short game and if you try to apply too much of thinking of your "strategy", then you are guaranteed to fail, because the time needed to unleash it would exceed the game span - it would be already over. You want to fix that with the ending condition being pushed over, but you will find out that the pacing of the game in this mode doesn't fit. It starts very slow and then snowballs very quickly. The guy who won having 20 points will also won having 40 points.

I do agree about randomness and dice consequences. One has to be prepared that these are dice, randomness is a core of this game and you either like it or not. But you have to remember that people can accept randomness in smaller time chunks. If the game lasts 30 min, that's ok. If it's an hour, people will naturally invest in the game and expect something in return - being screwed by the roll is contradicting this. Therefore the base game has almost no strategy, just cheerful rolling, but it ends quickly, which is fine. If you want to extend the time, you have to introduce meaningful decisions. Advanced rules are just for that, but, frankly, they're just the first step.

Still, a great game, we all agree on this :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with review. Quite a bit of strategy for a quick game and lots of suspense. Ultimately a satisfying game experience every time out. As expansions are added it just gets better and newest one improves entire game a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A very defensive review.

I think some dice games do a better job of mitigating the luck by roll manipulation, and ultimately Quarriors is a more tactical game with too much turn to turn variability to really label it as strategic.

Not that it's a bad thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Banuelos
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha ha yes I was being defensive, more or less fueled by hearing the same complaints multiple times. None of which were really compelling arguments. While it's certainly not a strategy game I just don't see it as a "no strategy" game as some claim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.