-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Miniature Market is offering a great deal for the exceptional financial negotiation party game Panic on Wall Street for only $16 which is 60% off the $39.99 MSRP.

SOLD OUT AS OF 1:30 PM

MSRP: $49.99
MM Daily Deal: $16 (60% off)
CoolStuffInc: $26.99
Amazon.com: $29.99
BGG Page: Panic on Wall Street!
BGG Rating: 7.03/10 with 551 Ratings
Player Count: 3-11
# Players Poll: Best with 6,7,8,9,10,11

My personal thoughts:
If you have 6+ players with any regularity at all you need to take a serious look at this game.

The fact that it can be set up and taught in 10 minutes, supports up to 11, is an economic rather than hidden identity game, has top notch components, and plays in under an hour only adds to it's unique charm.

It's been aptly called Pit on steroids, but many of those who don't care for Pit have been won over by PoWS because there's more "game" and strategy to be found in this box with regards to risk assessment and market valuation.

Ran my first two sessions of this ever at DexCon, one with 6 players and the other with 8 and everyone had a blast. Enjoyed it enough that I'm going to run it again at FalCon in September.

I've got no connection with the publisher or designer at all, I'm just tickled to find a title a negotiation and skill based title that truly shines with full on "Party Game" numbers without being a social deduction werewolf/mafia/bang derivative, bluffing, or guessing game. laugh

Mind you, it's not a game for everyone. I wouldn't play it with less than 6, and with 5 two minute timed negotiation phases the game can get both loud and quite rowdy. It's not a game that just rewards bluster though, the best offers speak loudest. It just tends to get noisy since all the negotiation is happening simultaneously.

But don't take my word for it, you can read the written reviews here and also check out Tom Vasel's Dice Tower Review for a visual overview:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [ Miniature Market ] Panic on Wall Street $16 (AMZ $29.99 / CSI $26.99) Daily Deal
Agreed, great game for a casual crowd. Math nerds will eventually figure out that the game comes down to simple probability and suck the life out of it, but until then, it's a guaranteed good time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Spaeth
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Re: [ Miniature Market ] Panic on Wall Street $16 (AMZ $29.99 / CSI $26.99) Daily Deal
Looks like its out of stock

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ramirez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn... Need to stop sleeping in on Saturdays

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange. I checked this daily deal around 3:00 AM this morning, and it said it was $18. Decided to pass on it since after shipping it would've cost about the same as Amazon. $16 would've been a bit more tempting though. Really fun game with the right crowd! Very hectic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
For the moves
Trinidad and Tobago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm not one to impulse buy, but the price and it already being on my short list swayed me.

In total I paid $27.28, which is a difference of $2.69 if bought on Amazon with a Prime account. So on second thought, maybe I should have just waited instead of adding to my backlog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cunning stunt wrote:
Agreed, great game for a casual crowd. Math nerds will eventually figure out that the game comes down to simple probability and suck the life out of it, but until then, it's a guaranteed good time.

Interesting that your group felt that way Sean! That wasn't the case for us at all. It made it more interesting if anything. Even if everyone is basing their risk/reward assessment on the strict market probabilities the social negotiation aspect keeps things wild, creative and fun.

Once someone decides not to offer/accept too much or too little for any given company based on pure probabilities you then have to come up with more creative ways to leverage an advantage over your opponents and get what you want.

"I'll give you x for all 3 of your blue companies if you close them now"

"I'll give you 5 more for all your red companies if you agree to let me close one company of choice at any price I want next turn", etc.

Remember there are absolutely no rules governing what can and can't be agreed upon (other than closing a company for the round) not to mention it being explicitly stated that no agreement is binding. devil

Most players can figure out the probabilities after a turn or two if not sooner (I've had some analyze the dice before turn one). If that led to a lack of fun it means there was a lack of creativity on the part of the players during negotiation.

Since the wheeling and dealing is the lifeblood of the game, and there is always going to be a measure of uncertainty thanks to the dice rolled each turn, there's plenty of room for creative play even if every person at the table is playing the numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.