Subject: So rare in Australia that... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dice masters is so rare in Australia that I just bought my first family home with a Wolverine Canknuckle head

I'm kidding of course, nobody in this country has THAT kinda wealth, nope, what we have here in Australia is a great game community that is frequently held to ransom by our location on the global map, with prices here bordering on obscene for any kind of rare new release.

Profiteering is rife here and "recommended Retail Price" is not something that ever comes into it.

At it core is the perception by major retailers that "Gamers" are still some sort of weird sub class of overweight genetically awkward men that sit in their basements dressed like elves rolling dice.

This leaves the Australian retail gaming market to two types of people the "good guys" and the "bad guys".

The good guys are gamers themselves who started their business because they love games and want to help the hobby grow here in Australia.

The bad guys are the non gamers who secure stock the sell it at twice to three times retail because they found a way to stop the good guys getting their stock and think gamers are nerdy addicts who will pay anything for their addiction.

The worst thing is... The bad guys are right.

In the end when a gamer has been hyped enough they WILL buy from a company they hate dealing with simply because the people they would rather support just can't get the stock, thanks to the various dirty tricks done by a rotten few.

It's tough and what you learn about retailers who sell games here in Australia, is they don't often read the rule book first and their dice are almost always loaded...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Blue
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I heard a lot of retailers in Aus had their supply reduced to meet preorders in US/elsewhere.

The price I see places selling starters at (well, preorders) is around $20 which isn't TOO bad compared to the usual amount our prices get jacked. That said I haven't actually seen them on sale anywhere in the country, and what I do have I had to source from overseas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have seen the many "pre orders" you speak of on the dominant Australian sites.

I have it on very good authority that these sites are happy to take your money without even the vaguest idea if they themselves can even meet the orders they have taken.

And then... It shall doubtless be an exercise in frustration actually getting your money back when their promises prove to be laughable.

Nowhere will you see anything firm, merely words like "pre order" "back order" and "placeholder price" and that's exactly what I'm talking about.

What those words should mean is a promissory note, a reservation, an indication of intent to provide, but what it actually is, is companies profiting by selling AIR not product.

Now they may indeed get some sets in the future... The far far future.

But on the day I write this they don't have it, don't know when they WILL have it and now have so many "invisible orders" that whatever little stock they do get will vanish like a drop of water on a hot pan as soon as a box is opened.

Should a starter actually make it to the shelf I promise you $20 is not the price tag you will find on it.

Rarity for a mass retail product should not influence price, the last SCRABBLE in the store should not automatically double for example?

Yet when it comes to the smaller Australian "Bricks and Mortar" stores that is exactly what happens, the less there is, the more it costs.

They blame "Spiralling import costs" or "Fluctuations in the dollar" but it is far simpler than that "the more you need, the more there's greed".

Some my say "that is just business" but when the RRP of an item is deliberately inflated because of lack of supply, what you have is profiteering plain and simple.

If you pardon the pun, they have a MONOPOLY on games and all you can do is choose not to roll their dice...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@ the OP.

I hear what you're saying. But why don't you spend your energy on doing something that will change the situation?

Start a movement to save Aussie retail. Write to the SMH, complain about wrong business practices to the ombudsman etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh dear!
I'm sorry my "Rant" does not resonate with you Shawn, I do admit it is largely written from the perspective of the Sydney market.

As to Milsims however, I was in fact a customer of theirs for many many years, but found their once good service and reputation has slipped dramatically in recent years, many orders I have placed on their site when "in stock" are quickly replaced with "back order" when enquiries are made as to the status of orders placed.

A situation repeated for me on several occasions and I found I was always having to "chase them" when it came to a shipping date coming and going with still no product sent and zero communication.

Polite attempts to speak to their "staff" was often met with apathy and derision and though it is very true they don't take your money up front, the creative promises they make as to stock availability of many of their up coming releases does prevent you from making other arrangements with companies actually able to complete orders on time.

The company ships items only ONE day a week (Friday) and if your order is not lucky enough to be completed by one of their "professionals" on that day, then it will have to wait a further 7 days until somebody attempts sticking a label on it again.

They say a broken clock is at least right twice a day... But if your trying to make plans around that clock then it's still just about useless.

Much has been said about the troubles Australian retail has suffered at the hands of internet sales.

American and European companies understand the value of service and stock and that is why more Australians choose to deal with them over home grown options...

Go deal with the Germans or the Japanese and you will see just how far behind the rest of the world our retailers are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Blue
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you truly think they'll over $30 here once the supply levels are back to normal, then you've got the choice to not support their practices and get yours from overseas for cheaper.
Retailers have to adapt or go out of business. Yes it's good to support FLGS even if it costs a bit extra, but 200% markups are too far. Don't encourage it.

Personally I'm confident you will find them in Australia for less than $25 easily enough by the end of the year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@ the OP.

I hear what you're saying. But why don't you spend your energy on doing something that will change the situation?

Start a movement to save Aussie retail. Write to the SMH, complain about wrong business practices to the ombudsman etc.

Ps: on the mobile and accidentally overwrote my original post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
shawn_low wrote:
@ the OP.

Ps: on the mobile and accidentally overwrote my original post.

You cannot FORCE someone to have integrity, they either have it and always had it... Or they just don't.

I know for a fact that one of the larger online stores here in Australia has a massively inflated postage price that's fixed no matter what the weight and location.

50 percent of that charge is pure profit and all the staff know it.

When challenged they label it a "handling and processing" fee that is bundled underneath the "postage" banner to save listing fiddly micro charges.

Their other little trick is to have a "free shipping" sign next to every item and only if you click on the fine print do you discover its for items over $150.

It deceptive and unpleasant and the state ombudsman has no real power to control a small business who can simply find 100 other ways to bleed their customers.
No small business owner I ever heard of as made to sell their magic boosters at reasonable price or go to jail.

You can only do as I have done and vote with your feet.
I do get my stuff from overseas because I'm tired of being 6 months behind the rest of the gaming world.

I would shop here if there was a straight shooter in the bunch who could actually GET some stock.

Even when the Australian dollar was way stronger than the USD things were STILL not able to be RRP!

The simple fact is in this global marketplace customers are more "switched on" than ever before.

They know stock levels, suppliers and exchange rates.

Now all we need is for retailers to figure out that we are not dumb sheep that look at a price tag and think that's really what it cost to bring it to the shelf and make a healthy profit... Not an obscene one that borders on outright piracy.

I understand we are an island, and everything has to come by sea or air, I just think that sometimes our heritage as British penal colony is not too far from the truth... Where it comes to retail, nearly everyone is still trying to rob you.

Ironically it would now be a worse fate to send them back to England.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidan Leenstra
Australia
flag msg tools
FWIW, I got my starter around release time, from a brick & mortar store in Australia, for $24.

Personally, I think that is a fine price considering the Australia Tax. (The Australia Tax however, is not fine, but is not decided at store level.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You must have been at the right place at the right time Aidan... Do you mind if I ask which store?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Taylor
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I got mine from Good Games and Heroes HQ but did not get my Milsims order. Im still waiting on it. I managed to get 2 starters and lets say 3 boxes of boosters(2 preordered boxes and 59 loose boosters). I have all 4 Super Rares from blind pulls. I was on here actively letting people know of a place here in Australia where you could get a starter from for $22 Australian. Nobody on here at the time was interested but I assumed it was because the players were all internationals and did not want to pay the postage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, Milsims is a joke these days... I will talk to good games today and see what they can tell me about re stocks... Thanks Richard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidan Leenstra
Australia
flag msg tools
I got mine from Next Level Games in Dandenong, Victoria; I also managed to get an official playmate from them for $30.

When they get stock they are also planning on selling singles and running OPs.

FWIW, Games by the Beach in Frankston, Victoria is also aiming for a $20-$25 price on starters (won't know until he gets it in).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallen McInerney
Australia
Kingscliff
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you guys happen to get your cards please head over to this Oz-only MDM trade thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Taylor
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Woohoo a trade thread for Aussies. I will have to post my trades/wants tonight after work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rhadamanthine wrote:
I got mine from Good Games and Heroes HQ but did not get my Milsims order. Im still waiting on it. I managed to get 2 starters and lets say 3 boxes of boosters(2 preordered boxes and 59 loose boosters). I have all 4 Super Rares from blind pulls. I was on here actively letting people know of a place here in Australia where you could get a starter from for $22 Australian. Nobody on here at the time was interested but I assumed it was because the players were all internationals and did not want to pay the postage.

That's a really sweet pull: 4 SRs from 3 boxes worth. You were lucky considering that not all boxes even have an SR!

Which Aussie store sold it for $22?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Taylor
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Both Good Games and Heroes HQ had them for $22. I also get a club discount at my stores so effectively I paid $20 each starter. Good Games will have more stock sometime over the next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.