Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Isaribi» Forums » Rules

Subject: confused about what makes up a round...particularly part 3 the main step... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused how the main step works. Could someone write out how this works? Do people have more than 1.5 actions in round one? Can you take more than one action in round one? We started playing this tonight and I was confused how this worked as I understood this to basically mean that each player has only 5 opportunities to take actions...which doesn't feel right at all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is a bit confusing at start.

Step 1 is really one round, that consists of many player turns in sequence. Assuming a 3 player game, the first step could go as follows:

- Player 1 takes his (1.5) actions and ends his turn
- Player 2 takes her actions, then ends her turn
- Player 3 takes her actions, then ends her turn
- Player 1 flips the lowest market card (it´s his 2nd turn of the round), then ends his turn
- Player 2 decides to leave the round and gets a collaborator. She cannot take any more turns this round.
- Player 3 takes her actions, then ends her turn.
- etc..

When all 3 players have left the round, the end of round step takes place.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, a player only has five total times in the game where s/he can take actions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
No, in each round you can take however many actions you are entitled to every time it is your turn. You only stop when you decide to drop out of the round and take a collaborator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So in the main step you continue going around and around until everyone has passed AND you are able to take your max actions many times? Is the following illustration of a three player game correct?

abcabcabcabcabcabcabcabc (a passes) bcbcbcbc (b passes) ccccc ( c passes) and now end of round phase begins.

(Please note that this is just a random example...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. You generally do actions either until you have nothing else to do, or until you have your most important actions done and want to go out to grab a specific card. Don´t forget also that player 1 has, after his first turn to turn a market card each tun he takes, until all cards are face-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, this clears up everything for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
(My remaining question is whether the first player flips the market card for free, or whether she must spend one of her actions to do it!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rynelf wrote:
(My remaining question is whether the first player flips the market card for free, or whether she must spend one of her actions to do it!)

A very good question. The rules do not stipulate specifically whether the first player pays or not to flip the mandatory card, but I played as costing 0 actions because:

- it is called "a special action"
- if all but the first market cards cost to flip, there would be no reason for the first card to be flipped during setup, it could be done by the player per normal rule. This way it seems more like a per-turn setup action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your arguments are compelling - and, indeed, that's the way we'd played, too!

The only other thing that chafed a bit was the "This action is only possible if your boat is in the fishing area (not the Harbour), and may only be done once per turn." annotation on the Fishing action. Late in the game - when one might have 3AP or more - it seemed odd that one could not go Fishing in a space, move to an adjoining space, and go Fishing there, too. We played it as written, but I wanted (irrationally?) the rule to be "...and may only be done once per turn per fishing area." instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rynelf wrote:
Your arguments are compelling - and, indeed, that's the way we'd played, too!

The only other thing that chafed a bit was the "This action is only possible if your boat is in the fishing area (not the Harbour), and may only be done once per turn." annotation on the Fishing action. Late in the game - when one might have 3AP or more - it seemed odd that one could not go Fishing in a space, move to an adjoining space, and go Fishing there, too. We played it as written, but I wanted (irrationally?) the rule to be "...and may only be done once per turn per fishing area." instead.

Thematically the rule makes sense to me. Upgrading your boat makes it go faster, and upgrading your nets helps you catch more fish, but the time you must spend fishing is fixed and same (1 turn) for all players. It also helps avoid the first player crowding out the others from fishing towards the end of the game.

Don't forget that you can always take another turn to fish after the turn comes back to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harding
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: confuse about what makes up a round...particularly part 3 the main step...
Hi could you also clarify the collaborator cards. There are so few there won't be any to take after first couple of rounds, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
huffa2 wrote:
Hi could you also clarify the collaborator cards. There are so few there won't be any to take after first couple of rounds, correct?

No, because each one is used only once and then put back. See the last step under section 1 (how to set up a round):

Quote:
Then all players return any collaborators that they may have before them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harding
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks how did I miss that :p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.