Super Dungeon Explore» Forums » General

Subject: 3D Forest Board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damien Stanley
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi guys,

Still very new to SDE, but the family and I are hooked!

After playing a few games I thought I'd try my hand at some 3D tiles. This is what I have so far:

It's pretty much a jumbo version of the fantastic forest board at Scenery Plant:
http://www.scenery-planet.com/3_galeria/projects/8_bit_adven....

Each square is 1.5" and I moved the top layer of the hill over one to make for a sneaky, one square wide, path around the back of the hill. The board sections are made out of cheap insulation foam glued to an MDF base. Then covered with an improvised recipe of sawdust, sand, and hydrostone for texturing. The transitions between levels was made by applying drywall filler on top of twisted pieces of newspaper soaked in elmers.

Some of the great things that came out of this project, besides having a giant modular board to play on:

The wife got involved making "our" board.
I played around with homemade flocking and texturing.
My eldest daughter likes to use the boards between games as a giant play area for her toys

Cheers,

Gubbinz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice! Very cool! cool

Very envious... angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are really great Damien. I started making some 3D boards myself (copying the ones from the base game) and really need to start that project up again. If I could offer one tiny criticism it's that I'd like to see some more variety with some bushes/trees but depending how you store them I can see how this may be an issue. Regardless, have some geek gold for your awesomeness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Stanley
Canada
flag msg tools
I thought about bushes and rocks, but I didn't want to add anything that might interfere with any future terrain pieces. I'll probably just make all the little rocks, bushes, trees, etc as removable pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gubbinz wrote:
I thought about bushes and rocks, but I didn't want to add anything that might interfere with any future terrain pieces. I'll probably just make all the little rocks, bushes, trees, etc as removable pieces.

That is also a good idea that I may...ummm....'appropriate'! Those tiles could easily be forest, graveyard or maybe even something else by having removable terrain features. You good sir, are a genius!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
jonahmaul wrote:
Those tiles could easily be forest, graveyard or maybe even something else by having removable terrain features.

I agree. To be honest, until it gets a plethora of trees on it, it doesn't look any more like a forest than it would a village, or any other setting that would have a dirt/grass landscape. There's plenty you could do with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great!

Now put it in a box and send it to me.devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Stanley
Canada
flag msg tools
Oh there will be trees Chad (knowing wink).

I'm putting together a custom expansion set of minis to go with the board. So far:

Boss - 80% done
Mini Boss - 20% done (if that)
Spawner - 100% done
Minion 1 - 100% done
Minion 2 - 100% done
Minion 3 - I have a couple of options but nothing I'm really happy with
Hero 1 - 95% done
Hero 2 - 95% done
Hero/companion - 100% done

I was really hoping to have the set done by now, but life had other plans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colour me intrigued!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Stanley
Canada
flag msg tools
I just put up a couple of pics, and started a thread over at:

http://community.sodapopminiatures.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2...

More to follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.