Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: New questions about Ashcan Pete, flying monsters, and Chthonians... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evolution fan
Ukraine
Kiev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, everyone!

So, here are several new questions:
1) Does Ashcan Pete's special ability involve Exhibit items? It is not specified on his sheet (I know that Exhibit item deck was introduced in the Pharaoh expansion, while Pete is from the base game). But what's the official ruling for this issue?
2) Can flying monsters move twice during a Mythos phase with a gate burst (first time when burst is resolved and second time in a monster movement part of Mythos)?
3) If monsters are instructed to move along white or black pass due to some game effect, how green bordered monsters, e.g. hound or chthonian, would move?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Metalizm wrote:
Hello, everyone!

So, here are several new questions:
1) Does Ashcan Pete's special ability involve Exhibit items? It is not specified on his sheet (I know that Exhibit item deck was introduced in the Pharaoh expansion, while Pete is from the base game). But what's the official ruling for this issue?
2) Can flying monsters move twice during a Mythos phase with a gate burst (first time when burst is resolved and second time in a monster movement part of Mythos)?
3) If monsters are instructed to move along white or black pass due to some game effect, how green bordered monsters, e.g. hound or chthonian, would move?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
if you want the official ruling you need to check the rules and FAQ or contact FFG. If you want our opinion on what to do then you're in the right place (though sometimes someone is able share communications with FFG that hasn't otherwise been published)

Green Monsters 'move' by activating the effect printed on the reverse of the token. You'll find this in the rules.
on page 11 of the rulebook the designers wrote:
Unique (Green Border): Monsters with unique movement (such as the Hound of Tindalos) have special movement abilities listed on the combat side of their monster markers. Turn such a monster marker over and follow the instructions there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Metalizm wrote:

I don’t know if this was changed in any of the other expansions, but from what I understand in the Dunwich Horror rules, flying monsters only move once. The only difference on a gate burst is that all flying monsters move, not just those whose dimensional symbols match those on the mythos card.

DH page 6:
Quote:
… A gate burst works the same as a normal mythos card, unless the listed gate location has an elder sign token on it, in which case the gate bursts open, causing the elder sign token at that location to be removed from the board. A gate then opens at that location and a monster appears there as usual. …
Additionally, whenever a gate burst is drawn, all flying monsters move, regardless of their dimensional symbol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Metalizm wrote:

Ashcan Pete's ability specifically applies to Common Item, Unique Items and Spells. It does not apply to any other decks.

If the ability had said something generic like "item decks" then there may be basis to include Exhibit Items, but as written I would say it's definitely a "no."

If you want an official ruling, as said before, you'll have to contact FFG directly.

Metalizm wrote:

They only move once, but they ALL move, as said, because of the gate burst effect.

Metalizm wrote:

Any time a green-bordered monster is instructed to "move," you execute the instructions on the back of the token. Whether it's supposed to follow white or black arrows is irrelevant to greens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evolution fan
Ukraine
Kiev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for answers! They helped a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Corvid
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevin wrote:

I don’t know if this was changed in any of the other expansions, but from what I understand in the Dunwich Horror rules, flying monsters only move once. The only difference on a gate burst is that all flying monsters move, not just those whose dimensional symbols match those on the mythos card.

DH page 6:
Quote:
… A gate burst works the same as a normal mythos card, unless the listed gate location has an elder sign token on it, in which case the gate bursts open, causing the elder sign token at that location to be removed from the board. A gate then opens at that location and a monster appears there as usual. …
Additionally, whenever a gate burst is drawn, all flying monsters move, regardless of their dimensional symbol.

Oh man, I never even realised this rule existed. I've probably played 50+ games too! This is why I love AH though. Besides, it's a worthwhile rule because in my experience flying monsters just aren't that much of a threat otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.