Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So this new update #20 from Onion Squire has put a very bad taste in my mouth...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1163288590/game-develop...

Quote:
Update #20 Jul 18 2014
THE LONG AWAITED UPDATE!

Hey what’s up everybody?

We’re finally back with the long awaited update!

So, first things first, why have we been so mysterious during the past couple of months and what happened to Game Developerz during that period? Here is the story…

Back in march when the campaign was close to its end we have been approached by a German publisher, probably one of the biggest and most important publishers in the tabletop games industry worldwide (we can’t name it for legal reasons but most of you would know them for sure), and they were interested in the exclusive rights of distribution in Germany. At that time we told them that we didn’t define any distribution terms yet, but it was something we could have talked about as soon as the campaign was over; we then sent them an Exclusive Prototype and we agreed to get back in touch in a couple of weeks.
I don’t know what happened but at the end of the campaign they mailed us very excited and they even raised their offer: they told us they loved the game and they were interested in the worldwide rights for publishing and distribution. Wow we said, isn’t that awesome?! It’s just like a dream come true for a startup! Well, is wasn’t that much of a dream but we didn’t know it yet, and from that moment on we started one of the longest mails exchange I ever had in my life! At the beginning they told us they loved the game but there were a few details they wanted to change in order to improve the game. “Ok!” we said, “we can do it!”. Then they started to ask for more features and mechanics to be added to the game, they told us they knew the market and it was for the better! We were not very happy with it, but “if they say so, yeah we could probably trust them”. It was just the beginning of the end since they soon asked us to add new card types and to basically redesign the game around their guidelines. We tried to do it, but Game Developerz was no longer the same game. At that point we realized what was going on and we denied the offer concluding the deal before it was too late. We suspect that they were basically trying to change the game in order to acquire rights on its ownership, so that if in the future the game would have sold they could have said that it would for sure have been thanks to their improvements. Such a thing would not have been respectful towards our backers nor the game itself! All this thing got us stuck into it and took about a good 2 months and half of our working time and life.
Of course it was not something we could have shared with you at the beginning, we got mailed by several companies and people and we couldn’t update you on everything without bothering you to death! Nor it was something we could have shared along the way, as we had an NDA with that company; and by the way sharing such things is not something you want to do in general, until a deal is officially signed.

After all this, a couple of weeks ago, we got back to work and we are now very happy we did not entangled ourselves into something that could have been a happy monetary deal for us but a tragic thing for the game. We apologize if we did not properly update you before but it has been a very delicate situation for Onion Squire.

For this reason, we have to say that the estimated deliveries will have to be postponed by three months!

And now.. a little surprise for you all!
The Base Set PnP is here guys!
This is the reason why we waited a few days more for the update, we wanted to make you smile after such a sad and boring story, and we hope you will appreciate it.

You can find the Base Set PnP in the Backers’ Den here on the Game Developerz Website.

As you can see it is protected by a password, you will ALL receive your own password by the end of tomorrow.
NOTE - For those asking why you did not receive the password for the Exclusive prototype PnP it means you were not eligible for it, but you will be for the Base Set PnP.

That’s all folks, we hope you enjoyed the update and we are looking forward to your thoughts in the comments section here below!

Have a great day!
The Game Developerz Team

Cross posting the following from the Kickstarter page...

Suprised by the positive reaction in these comments. This is terrible news and what should have been the headline and focus of the update, the 3 month delay, is hidden in a single line in the middle of the post after a wall of text.

When they should have been producing the game, they were making changes because of the promise of more $$$ for themselves... Something that could have been done after the Kickstarter for V1 was fulfilled. It would have been easy to say to the potential publisher 'we'll look into these changes in 3 months after we've sent out v1'. If the publisher was genuinely interested they would not have minded this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frogman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Kickstarter Update #20 ¬_¬
Guess I should be glad I decided to pull my pledge. It seems like a video game version of Munchkin anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmine Migliore
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't really get why people is so OK with this update...

Onion Square neither apologized for the 3 months delay and they just hidden this news in a very long update.

Backers glad about the news and happy to wait for further 3 months...

Stomski wrote:
So this new update #20 from Onion Squire has put a very bad taste in my mouth...

Quote:
Update #20 Jul 18 2014
THE LONG AWAITED UPDATE!

Hey what’s up everybody?

We’re finally back with the long awaited update!

So, first things first, why have we been so mysterious during the past couple of months and what happened to Game Developerz during that period? Here is the story…

Back in march when the campaign was close to its end we have been approached by a German publisher, probably one of the biggest and most important publishers in the tabletop games industry worldwide (we can’t name it for legal reasons but most of you would know them for sure), and they were interested in the exclusive rights of distribution in Germany. At that time we told them that we didn’t define any distribution terms yet, but it was something we could have talked about as soon as the campaign was over; we then sent them an Exclusive Prototype and we agreed to get back in touch in a couple of weeks.
I don’t know what happened but at the end of the campaign they mailed us very excited and they even raised their offer: they told us they loved the game and they were interested in the worldwide rights for publishing and distribution. Wow we said, isn’t that awesome?! It’s just like a dream come true for a startup! Well, is wasn’t that much of a dream but we didn’t know it yet, and from that moment on we started one of the longest mails exchange I ever had in my life! At the beginning they told us they loved the game but there were a few details they wanted to change in order to improve the game. “Ok!” we said, “we can do it!”. Then they started to ask for more features and mechanics to be added to the game, they told us they knew the market and it was for the better! We were not very happy with it, but “if they say so, yeah we could probably trust them”. It was just the beginning of the end since they soon asked us to add new card types and to basically redesign the game around their guidelines. We tried to do it, but Game Developerz was no longer the same game. At that point we realized what was going on and we denied the offer concluding the deal before it was too late. We suspect that they were basically trying to change the game in order to acquire rights on its ownership, so that if in the future the game would have sold they could have said that it would for sure have been thanks to their improvements. Such a thing would not have been respectful towards our backers nor the game itself! All this thing got us stuck into it and took about a good 2 months and half of our working time and life.
Of course it was not something we could have shared with you at the beginning, we got mailed by several companies and people and we couldn’t update you on everything without bothering you to death! Nor it was something we could have shared along the way, as we had an NDA with that company; and by the way sharing such things is not something you want to do in general, until a deal is officially signed.

After all this, a couple of weeks ago, we got back to work and we are now very happy we did not entangled ourselves into something that could have been a happy monetary deal for us but a tragic thing for the game. We apologize if we did not properly update you before but it has been a very delicate situation for Onion Squire.

For this reason, we have to say that the estimated deliveries will have to be postponed by three months!

And now.. a little surprise for you all!
The Base Set PnP is here guys!
This is the reason why we waited a few days more for the update, we wanted to make you smile after such a sad and boring story, and we hope you will appreciate it.

You can find the Base Set PnP in the Backers’ Den here on the Game Developerz Website.

As you can see it is protected by a password, you will ALL receive your own password by the end of tomorrow.
NOTE - For those asking why you did not receive the password for the Exclusive prototype PnP it means you were not eligible for it, but you will be for the Base Set PnP.

That’s all folks, we hope you enjoyed the update and we are looking forward to your thoughts in the comments section here below!

Have a great day!
The Game Developerz Team

Cross posting the following from the Kickstarter page...

Suprised by the positive reaction in these comments. This is terrible news and what should have been the headline and focus of the update, the 3 month delay, is hidden in a single line in the middle of the post after a wall of text.

When they should have been producing the game, they were making changes because of the promise of more $$$ for themselves... Something that could have been done after the Kickstarter for V1 was fulfilled. It would have been easy to say to the potential publisher 'we'll look into these changes in 3 months after we've sent out v1'. If the publisher was genuinely interested they would not have minded this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And it gets more comical...

Quote:
Hey guys it's really hard to manage such a huge crowd of people.
Backers have different opinions and it is not an easy task to make everyone happy. Here we read that a few of you are unhappy because of the radio silence of the past months, but we also receive lots of kind and happy private messages supporting our decision.

However past is in the past, and we are now 100% back on the original project without external influences by third party companies and that's the best thing for everyone!

Stay tuned and you'll see you won't be disappointed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
woosh ito
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't get why they started changing the game before delivering their Kickstarter product.

I mean, yeah, because of money. But this whole thing sounded so amateur... it makes me a little bit regretful. We are backers, we are not just customers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Watts
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I didn't back this, but I'm curious if any have been delivered yet.

I was somewhat interested in the game since it looked like a gaming version of Burn Rate, but hesitant to offer them any support or money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fumaofthelake wrote:
I didn't back this, but I'm curious if any have been delivered yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Watts
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I just looked at their Kickstarter stuff again and they claim they're still waiting on production samples. I always have a hard time deciding if people like this are deliberately dishonest or just utterly clueless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb

Creator Onion Squire 2 days ago

"@Martin - No worries, they are a very good supplier. A guy from our team is visiting them this week and they were waiting for him instead of sending us the samples. We are now receiving them in a few days.
Everything is alright! "

I think they make their production pipeline up as they go along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Game in hand, shipping delayed to US due to needing an EIN, but no mention of other regions.

One comment states:

Quote:
So is EVERYONE delayed because you're waiting for the US shipping stuff? Or is ONLY the US backers that will have to wait?
Are you going to ship the base game to everyone at the same time then ship the expansions to those that backed at those level later? Or does everyone have to wait?
What about those who backed higher levels that included non-game stuff like comics and t-shirts, when do they get the game? Same time as everyone else with the non-game stuff shipping later or can we expect another update in two months saying everything has been delayed again because you're waiting for a sample t-shit or that the comic printer ran out of red ink?

Which basically sums up exactly what I would have posted.

Another poster has stated that from Spain it took him 10 minutes on the phone to get an EIN... So erm, what ev's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmb
I think this project is going to be the card game equivalent of Duke nuke em forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. This is gold...

Quote:
Creator Onion Squire about 1 hour ago
Hi guys, just a quick update.
Base Sets have been shipped from our supplier and should be delivered to our two warehouses in UK and US in 10 days.
This means we should be ready to ship to all of those who backed for THE GAMER in about two weeks if everything will go smooth in both warehouses.
Just a little note for everyone - harassing doesn't help. If you feel like we are pulling your leg you are definitely on the wrong track. Rewards are coming and we are now doing our best to make you all happy; but it doesn't rely on us if we are having delays now. If you think you can't wait anymore just let us know and we'll issue a redound right away but please stop harassing, we don't need it and hopefully you don't love it.
Thanks for your help!

These guys clearly can't be bothered to keep appropriate contact with their backers and answer the simplest of questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
woosh ito
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Onion Squire has a terrible PR.

It's just sad to watch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmb
Any one seen the latest replies in the thread today. Apparently they are not replying any more because they are being 'trolled' by a small subset of backers and they don't like it!

'"here is a question why do Onion Squire never answer questions in a timely fashion?"
We did it at the beginning. Then a few backers started to play around with trolling questions or statements. We didn’t love it and we asked to stop it but it didn’t happen. So we decided to reply by PM to those who have not been disrespectful. By the way we always check the comments board so keep asking anytime and we’ll be happy to answer if you are not trolling.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross-post from the "Did anyone get their copy yet?" thread...

Looks like people have started receiving their base sets now according to comments on Kickstarter.

Some feedback so far:

Quote:
Got my hands on my copy. Will be interesting to see how it goes down. The only bad thing about it is that it smells pretty funky, which is obviously no reflection on the game itself but it has forced me to not look at it in any real detail yet as the industrial smell actually made me feel quite ill!

and

Quote:
The Kickstarter said 2-6 players, the box says 2-8, the rules inside say 3-6. Anyone know which is correct?
The rules don't seem very consistent. First they say you win by developing 5 features and then later on they say when you win when you develop your 6th!.

If you backed at a tier that received more stuff, you have to wait until all bits are ready.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmb
Basically the game plays as anything goes at start of player turn until player declares start of formal phase follow rules for phase selected (there are two phase actions to chose from) , determine outcome , anything goes.

Next players turn , repeat for 20 minutes until everyone isbored enough to give up and shove the game back on the shelf to forget about.

I cant say I like Onion squires customer service as demonstrated on their Ks thread. At least I only wasted the basic pledge on this. Like certain companies from the video game Industry I wont be buying any product with their name on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.