The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Journey along the Anduin impossible? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter B
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I must be doing something wrong, since the game is almost over one of the first turns. Have I misunderstood the rules?

Hill Troll attacks with 6 (six!) and I can only defend with one character. Say I defend with Gimli (2 defense), he is almost dead on the first blow. With an unkind shadow effect that hero is out of the game.

If I use chump blocker, the rest of the damage goes directly to the threat level.

Some people have suggested that you can start with a really low threat cost heroes, but that means that you must have very specific decks for each scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Training field technicians at trade school level
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
Piot wrote:
but that means that you must have very specific decks for each scenario?

This. You have to put some thought into your decks. Deckbuilding is quite important in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Machado
Brazil
Florianópolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deckbuilding is very important in the game and on your first plays (with a smaller pool of cards) will be necessary.
That said, it's possible to build a deck that can handle all (or almost all) quests that were released for this game.

Starting with low threat is pretty important against this troll... 'cause it gives you some time to get some allies and weapons to help you out. Or maybe a gray wizard...

Regarding your example... Gimli is probably one of the best ones to defend the Troll from the Core Set... You just need to have something to cancel those nasty shadow cards and maybe heal him later... Or give him the Citadel Plate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I would believe that with certain deck builds this particular adventure would be impossible.

However, as a blanket statement, I know factually this adventure is very possible.

It is difficult and requires forethought with your deck construction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter B
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for your suggestions. I will try it again with a very low initial threat and three Citadel Plates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a session report about that particular scenario:

Journey Down the Anduin (with a deck built from only a single Core Set)

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janis Goldmanis
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmb
There are no impossible scenarios.

There might be some, that have a win rate of less than 50% because of lacking all player cards.

As for each scenario - I tend to build a deck tailored for each scenario.
(Usually if it worked good for previous scenario, I only swap 1-2 heroes, and less than 15 cards for each deck - always playing with two players)

Only when I grow tired of it, I do a complete makeover, switching what spheres each player is playing, what traits e.t.c.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a couple of session reports with Core Set:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/757702/journey-along-anduin-...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/757265/beginners-journey-alo...

This is certainly a game where winning is to be savoured and not expected!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter B
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I tried it five more times, but couldn't win. Wasn't even close.

Appreciate all your help, but I must sell it to someone who can beat it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Machado
Brazil
Florianópolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Piot wrote:

You're trying decks with 2 spheres? Single player?
It's a difficult quest, but with 2 players (or 2-handed single player), both double sphere (only core set) it's beatable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Piot wrote:

I understand your frustration, which is why I made this post almost three years ago.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/701494/getting-past-hill...

It took me many, many attempts to learn what the game was trying to teach me. This scenario is incredibly difficult, if your starting threat is 30 or more. Give yourself a few turns to prepare, and it's much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/2013/01/31/beorns-path-part...

Solo deck, two spheres, core set only. For me, that's given 3 wins of 9 games.

The whole series is worth reading, if - like me - you're somewhat overwhelmed by the vast array of cards and how to start turning it in to something useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chadgar24
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you on octagon? If you are I would be happy to play with you and give you pointers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter B
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very nice of you, but I'm not on octgn. Maybe I should post my sessions and you can give me feedback?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chadgar24
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bummer, its free, you could just watch even. but yes, post your session. have you tried the decks mentioned above?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Post your sessions and we can give you feedback. A big part of the game is understanding the mechanics and how the cards work within those mechanics (same with any FFG LCG) If you are doing one tiny thing wrong, or missing one thing, you could potentially be making the game much harder for yourself than it should be....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.