Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Periorbis» Forums » General

Subject: Kickstarter preview now available rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gareth Newton-Williams
United Kingdom
London
London - South East
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

We wanted to get your feedback on the upcoming Kickstarter campaign for Asteroid Miner.

"https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gdmnw/1941426739?token=9202065c"

Please take a look at the preview link then come back here and let us know what you think.

Edit: Copy and paste the link to avoid issues with the token. Thanks for those who helped identify and solve this problem.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben P.
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GDMNW wrote:

The link currently produces a 404 error for me.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bancroft
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Durp
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cuazzel wrote:
GDMNW wrote:

The link currently produces a 404 error for me.


That's the pledge level $404 devil
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Newton-Williams
United Kingdom
London
London - South East
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies folks. Try this one:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gdmnw/1941426739?token=...

If it works I'll update the first post.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bancroft
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Durp
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GDMNW wrote:
Apologies folks. Try this one:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gdmnw/1941426739?token=...

If it works I'll update the first post.

Did a little testing and found that when I use "internet explorer" I get the 404 error but when I use "Google Chrome" It works - no problem
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Lord of the Infinite Abyss
msg tools
In the game will you be hauling mined material between star systems?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Newton-Williams
United Kingdom
London
London - South East
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zdepthcharge wrote:
In the game will you be hauling mined material between star systems?


Hi zdepthcharge,

The short answer is no. In Asteroid Miner players are responsible for getting the ore from the asteroids and back to the local space port. Money is earned by selling the ore to the captains of interstellar transport ships.

So thematically the ore is being shipped across the universe. In terms of game play however, players are just responsible for getting it out of the asteroids and into the hands of the transport ships.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
Reseñas de Juegos Argentinos
badge
Need a cool Graphic Design for a game you are Creating ? Maybe a banner for a kickstarter ? Ask for a quote... questions are for FREE :D
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gareth, will there be a print and play pledge level ?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Newton-Williams
United Kingdom
London
London - South East
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
willdesigns wrote:
Hi Gareth, will there be a print and play pledge level ?


Interesting that you should ask. We didn't know how popular P&P would be for this type of game and decided we would introduce a pledge for it if anyone asked about it.

So, yes. We will now create a P&P package as a single comment often represents hundred of opinions.

What would you think of a $10 P&P pledge for project access, updates and a digital version of the game for P&P?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben P.
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GDMNW wrote:
Apologies folks. Try this one:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gdmnw/1941426739?token=...

If it works I'll update the first post.

That's the same link as before, isn't it? I still only get 404 errors - on all browsers, after cleaning caches and forced reloads. Am I the only one here who can't see the page?

Edit: I also tried accessing it from different countries (USA, UK, Ireland and, of course, Germany) to rule out country-specific restrictions that Kickstarter may have in place. But it all led to the same 404 error.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Newton-Williams
United Kingdom
London
London - South East
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cuazzel wrote:
GDMNW wrote:
Apologies folks. Try this one:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gdmnw/1941426739?token=...

If it works I'll update the first post.

That's the same link as before, isn't it? I still only get 404 errors - on all browsers, after cleaning caches and forced reloads. Am I the only one here who can't see the page?

Edit: I also tried accessing it from different countries (USA, UK, Ireland and, of course, Germany) to rule out country-specific restrictions that Kickstarter may have in place. But it all led to the same 404 error.


Not really the best start is it?

I've just tried it now and managed to replicate the 404 error.

Have you tried copying and pasting the link into your browser address bar? That seemed to work fine in every browser I could lay my hands on.

"https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gdmnw/1941426739?token=9202065c"

Clicking seems to drop the token bit, which is required.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben P.
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GDMNW wrote:
"https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gdmnw/1941426739?token=9202065c"

Clicking seems to drop the token bit, which is required.

Yup, that works :)

From a customer perspective I don't notice any obvious flaws. I'd like to see way more images of components (or samples at least) and more art. Not Kickstarter-fancy-pledge-level-description-art but art from the actual game. Also review/gameplay videos appear to be immensely popular (not with me but it seems to be the consensus that they are important). I've seen the placeholders so all of these things seem to be on their way which is good.

There is the question whether to link to the rules on your site or on BGG. I would definitely put them on your own site because not everyone wants to deal with BGG. Of course they should also be available on BGG but not as the main source from your KS page.

Speaking of BGG: I'd make sure that all images, videos, rules etc. are available on BGG, too. As a BGG user I am way more likely to subscribe to the BGG page of the game than to follow it anywhere else. I don't know BGG's policy on posting Campaign updates - since I never see any, I assume that there are some restrictions. But personally, if I am interested in a game, I'd like to see those on BGG, too.

A few minor details:

- It repeatedly annoys me that I have to read lots of text before I get the single most important information about a game: The number of players. You're actually doing quite well since it's at least in the 5th sentence. Still I'd like to see that info on top of the page, preferably in the main image.

- Since you convert your prices to $US in the pledge level section, it would be nice to also have the approximate EUR price listed as well.
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Newton-Williams
United Kingdom
London
London - South East
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cuazzel wrote:
GDMNW wrote:
"https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gdmnw/1941426739?token=9202065c"

Clicking seems to drop the token bit, which is required.

Yup, that works

From a customer perspective I don't notice any obvious flaws. I'd like to see way more images of components (or samples at least) and more art. Not Kickstarter-fancy-pledge-level-description-art but art from the actual game. Also review/gameplay videos appear to be immensely popular (not with me but it seems to be the consensus that they are important). I've seen the placeholders so all of these things seem to be on their way which is good.

There is the question whether to link to the rules on your site or on BGG. I would definitely put them on your own site because not everyone wants to deal with BGG. Of course they should also be available on BGG but not as the main source from your KS page.

Speaking of BGG: I'd make sure that all images, videos, rules etc. are available on BGG, too. As a BGG user I am way more likely to subscribe to the BGG page of the game than to follow it anywhere else. I don't know BGG's policy on posting Campaign updates - since I never see any, I assume that there are some restrictions. But personally, if I am interested in a game, I'd like to see those on BGG, too.

A few minor details:

- It repeatedly annoys me that I have to read lots of text before I get the single most important information about a game: The number of players. You're actually doing quite well since it's at least in the 5th sentence. Still I'd like to see that info on top of the page, preferably in the main image.

- Since you convert your prices to $US in the pledge level section, it would be nice to also have the approximate EUR price listed as well.


This is really helpful, and I've been away and made revised the page. The one thing I haven't done yet is to include the EU prices and that's only because we are working with a logistics expert to try to drive our EU fulfilment prices down.

Your point about game basics is obvious now I think about it. I've run through the whole campaign page, stripping out language that feels unnecessary or which distracts for core info.

I'd really appreciate it you'd take a look at the revised preview. I think it's a bit closer to where it needs to be.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Backed!
 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Newton-Williams
United Kingdom
London
London - South East
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
David Ells wrote:
Backed!


You sir, are a legend!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael c
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully the word starts getting out there. Things are off to a bit of a slow start, but the game looks really good, so I think there are a lot of people who would be into this. Do you have any planned ads or additional reviews? Perhaps you could get a preview/review from the Dice Tower or Rahdo Runs Through. That might get a few more eyeballs and move this thing into high gear. Good luck.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Newton-Williams
United Kingdom
London
London - South East
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Michael,

I think you're absolutely right and we're aiming for both. The Dicer Tower preview will be published early next week and we'll be stepping up the advertising too. Yesterday we added links to reviews from BoardGaming.com and Board Game Quest and the Reddit kickstarter summary is published today as well.

If you haven't already, please click the facebook share link under the video on the campaign page. This is a great way you can help promote Asteroid Miner.

Thanks for your support!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A Rahdo Run would be very beneficial to this... have you consider it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
Elitist!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
not enough KS exclusives or stretch goals to make me jump on board...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Newton-Williams
United Kingdom
London
London - South East
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
A Rahdo Run would be very beneficial to this... have you consider it?


These things take time to line up, but we dropped an email to Rahdo the first time it was suggested. We'll let you know when he can review the game as soon as we know.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.