Lionel Jacques
United States
Casselberry
Florida
flag msg tools
It's ok - I always roll this bad.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all - thank you for all the community support of this fine game! It enabled me to find out about it after seeing it listed on a geeklist and I've been sucked in.

I have all the books downloaded and have read through the v3.2 and The Least you Need to Know to play and am currently reading the brilliant book of learning.

I've played half a dozen games on Realmspeak - and am almmmmost done construction on my Karim PnP edition.

So when I sit down with my brave companions for an afternoon session of awesome adventure - what do you all suggest to ease the process for others?

My current ideas:
1) Pass out the 'Least you need to Learn' the week before so folks have a good general idea of the game mechanics.

2) Explain the 'basic' structure at the table during setup and sort of GM the trickier parts as they come up? Is this doable if I'm playing as well?

3) Limit characters based on the wiki suggestion of 'difficulty' and perhaps nix magic users for this game? Only concern there is I KNOW some of them want that 'extra challenge' of casters.

4) Buy them lots of good, beverages, and ensure comfy chairs so that even when they die for the ninth time they are having fun!

I'm totally open for any suggestions and ideas on how to successfully bring this to the table for the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with just one other person. It will get you into the game faster, let you get your teaching strategy down, and provide you with one more experienced player when you try again with the whole group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Here are some standard recommendations for beginners who are learning the game. You don't have to use all of these; just use the ones that sound good to you.

* Don't write down your moves in advance (there's no point until you begin to understand how the game system works, although this also make the game much less challenging and interesting).

* Don't hire any natives (battles are simpler – but harder to win – without natives involved).

* Don't use magic, or magic-using characters (the magic system is both extensive and complex... learn the basics of the game first).

* Use the simpler "Sudden Death" scoring while you are learning the game system: The winner is the first one to achieve their Victory Requirements and make it back to the dwelling where they began the game (the victory calculations required by the standard game can be confusing at first). This is actually in the 3.1 rulebook as optional rule 10.E.3.

EDIT: Forgot to answer your questions! blush

Your #1 is an excellent idea.

#2: Yes it's doable, and even necessary. DON'T try to explain everything beforehand! Get the game started and then teach as you go. The more confident you are with the rules, the easier this will be.

#3: Addressed above.

#4: It couldn't hurt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EineHund wrote:

1) Pass out the 'Least you need to Learn' the week before so folks have a good general idea of the game mechanics.

In my experience, most people don't do their homework.

The best suggestion is already given - teach it on a 1-1 basis.

Another thing I played around with is play as a guide to the other player. That is, play a cooperative game where your victory requirements aren't important, and you are successful if the other player is successful. This should give you ample opportunity to play (in some cases sacrifice yourself to make sure the learning process doesn't come to a vicious end) and teach at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.