Popular Tags: [View All]
Ragnarokkr
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The FFG silverline box of Colossal Arena has the following rules on page 9
Quote:
Phase 3: Discard and draw cards

During this phase, you may first discard up to 3 combat cards depicting creatures that have been eliminated. You may discard them in any order, but you must show each card to the other players as you discard it to prove that it belongs to a creature that has been eliminated.

After discarding, if you have fewer than 8 cards in your hand, draw cards from the draw deck one at a time until you once again have 8 cards in your hand.

Because it says "after discarding...draw cards from draw deck", its interpretation would be that to draw cards from the draw deck, one must first have discarded at least 1 card of an already eliminated creature.

This situation happened today: I had cards from 6 of the 8 creatures at the beginning of the game. The eliminated creature at the end of Round 1 was one for which I didnt have a card. Therefore in round 2, my hand kept getting used (because I had cards only of creatures still in the arena) but there was no way for me to refresh.

The house rule we used was that once I was done with all my cards (had 0 in my hand), I refilled back to 8.

However, this doesn't seem to make much sense because I was playing with a smaller, more choice constrained hand for at least 3-4 turns.

Am I missing something? Please point me to the appropriate rule & portion of the rule book that will clarify this.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Discarding is not a prerequisite for drawing--you always draw up to 8 cards. I see how you reached your interpretation, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"you may first discard up to 3 combat cards"

That includes 0!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J
United States
Waterville
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with above. Thus, think of discarding as a step that must be completed before the draw step. In the discard step you *may* discard 1-3 cards, or discard none. Then,
ragnarokkr wrote:

After discardingthe discard step, if you have fewer than 8 cards in your hand, draw cards from the draw deck one at a time until you once again have 8 cards in your hand.

Note that you might have fewer than 7 cards in your hand even if you didn't discard any; for example, if the backer of the Titan stole 1 from you, and you played 1, you now have 6 cards. In this case, even if you don't discard any, you would still draw 2 cards to get back up to 8.

On the other hand, you do need fewer than 8 cards to draw, regardless of discarding. So if you are the backer of the Troll, and during the turn you played a Troll card, activated its power, and took another Troll card back into your hand, you still have 8 cards at this point. Unless you can discard something, you can't draw back up to 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J
United States
Waterville
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ragnarokkr wrote:
This situation happened today: I had cards from 6 of the 8 creatures at the beginning of the game. The eliminated creature at the end of Round 1 was one for which I didnt have a card. Therefore in round 2, my hand kept getting used (because I had cards only of creatures still in the arena) but there was no way for me to refresh.

The house rule we used was that once I was done with all my cards (had 0 in my hand), I refilled back to 8.

However, this doesn't seem to make much sense because I was playing with a smaller, more choice constrained hand for at least 3-4 turns.

Am I missing something?.

The other point from your post that no one else has corrected yet is that you are interpreting these phases to apply only at the end of rounds, whereas these phases happen to each player each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.