Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Case
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been a huge Godzilla fan my whole life. I watched the flicks faithfully every Saturday afternoon on my local UHF station during their Sci-Fi Theater showings. So buying this game was such a no-brainer for me when I found it on the shelf.

But then we tried to take it out for a spin. . . . and we couldn't actually play it. The rule book was so thin and anemic and put together so shittly. Would it have murdered you to throw in more pictures? Some examples of setting up? A sample round of game play? Hints and suggestions on what to do in your fucking beginner scenario?

After half an hour of everyone at the table bashing their heads against how to get the game set up (while the children players got more and more bored) we gave up and played Formula De instead.

So thanks for nothing Mr Game Designer. Looks like I just pissed away my 30 bucks and your game has been regulated to the back of the "What the fuck" closet of shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree.

There is a new rule book available that might salvage this game. I've printed it out but haven't tried it yet. Worth looking into before you s@itcan this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Sölvefjord
Sweden
Skövde
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Such language... blush

I can't really blame anyone for bashing the game for it's shortcomings but I belive that it's possible to have a good time with it, if you download the updated rules and if you are cool with tweaking some parts of it.

The game may be flawed but I have a hard time imagining someone get so worked up about it. Perhaps you would like to share what parts of the rules that did not make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
supersiamesisk wrote:
I belive that it's possible to have a good time with it, if you download the updated rules and if you are cool with tweaking some parts of it.

^^This^^

Give it a shot. At this point you don't have anything to lose. The board, minis, and buildings provide a great stage for fun even if you just play with the very basic rules of move/smash/attack/score points rule set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kabong wrote:
I've been a huge Godzilla fan my whole life. I watched the flicks faithfully every Saturday afternoon on my local UHF station during their Sci-Fi Theater showings. So buying this game was such a no-brainer for me when I found it on the shelf.

But then we tried to take it out for a spin. . . . and we couldn't actually play it. The rule book was so thin and anemic and put together so shittly. Would it have murdered you to throw in more pictures? Some examples of setting up? A sample round of game play? Hints and suggestions on what to do in your fucking beginner scenario?

After half an hour of everyone at the table bashing their heads against how to get the game set up (while the children players got more and more bored) we gave up and played Formula De instead.

So thanks for nothing Mr Game Designer. Looks like I just pissed away my 30 bucks and your game has been regulated to the back of the "What the fuck" closet of shame.

The designer is Richard Berg. The rest is predictable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max POWER
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry you had such a let down. But you could always look into Monsterpocalypse...It doesn't have the official Toho monsters, nor does it play with more than 2, but I find it to be a deep and satisfying strategy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yo Max, we are talking about the Godzilla thingy......not looking for alternate stuff.

I could recommend checkers, but it doesn't add a rat's ass to the situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
graydo wrote:
The designer is Richard Berg. The rest is predictable.

Gotta love how he ducked out once people started throwing eggs at him. Of course before he left he told everyone "game is selling well and I made money off of it suckers." He often says this when one of his games is taken to task.

Funny thing is I like this game, but Berg's post publication handling was unsurprisingly abysmal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Father
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Such a terrible, terrible game! Not with the revised second edition rules.
I followed the advise of others and went to main company site and downloaded to fixed and updated rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Father
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Monpoc is a Dead game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just picked this up for $20. Figured that was worth the risk. First thing I noticed when I opened the box was the ridiculous rule book. Never mind it's the size usually reserved for product catalogs, but the writing was so tiny (i've got crappy, old eyes) it was impossible for me to read.

Just downloaded the updated rules - and yes, they look like legitimate rules (pictures and everything!!!) - but haven't had a chance to read through them yet.

Obviously a HUGE Godzilla fan so that will probably get me to play it at least a few times but we'll see. Didn't even realize it was a Berg game until this post. I have two of his games: War of the Ring (a classic I'll never sell) and Blackbeard (Fun, light game. Not in love but definitely enjoy playing it).

We'll see how this one fares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just remember to temper your expectations. This really is no more complicated than an old Godzilla movie plot. i.e. - plod around, fight fellow monsters, shrug off the armed forces, and break things.

You CAN have fun with this, especially when using the updated rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny England
msg tools
I'm so relieved to read these comments...we spent a lot of time trying to play and finally gave up because we couldn't understand the rules. I thought it was just us. I just downloaded the updated rule book, so we'll give it another try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laz Greys
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
sabbat00 wrote:
Yo Max, we are talking about the Godzilla thingy......not looking for alternate stuff.

I could recommend checkers, but it doesn't add a rat's ass to the situation.

It's as good as (or better than) your recommendation of just using the minis, etc. after paying money for the game!shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.