Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you identified yourself as an Abstract board gamer, I think there would be many games you “must play.” Go and Chess, at least. Checkers and Backgammon are arguably “must play” games for Abstract board gamers. Possibly even Mancala, which goes to show the rich, varied and long history of Abstracts.

I think Eurogames, too, with a much shorter history, has at least one “must play” game, Settlers of Catan. I mean, how could you call yourself a Eurogamer if you haven’t played it? There might be something equivalent for Thematic and other types of gamers, I don’t know.

I can’t think of an equivalent for war games. I can think of a lot of “should play” games. I can think of a lot of war games I would highly recommend. But I can’t think of one war game I believe every wargamer “must play.” When I get close to saying that, I usually shift from “must play” to “you don’t know what you’re missing.”

There are a few war games that have kept my interest long enough to play until I am relaxed with the system, very few rules look-ups, got a firm grip on mechanics, game flow and how to win. When this happens, I either drop the game because I’m bored with it, or I keep playing because it’s just now starting to get REALLY interesting!

In these cases, more subtle and interesting stuff keeps bubbling up. I see stuff I wouldn’t have imagined after only three, four, five plays . When I play a wargame this much, I “get” the game and the game’s “got” me. I will want to play it and if you don’t, I’ll tell you “you REALLY don’t know what you’re missing.”

Do you have a war game like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superflat wrote:

I think Eurogames, too, with a much shorter history, has at least one “must play” game, Settlers of Catan.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that there are some differences between wargames and both abstracts and Euros that may explain this. For one thing, I think there is a much wider variety in wargames. There's the topical subject (WWII, Napoleonic, etc), scale (Strategic, Operational, Tactical, and subsets thereof), map type (hex, area, point-to-point), warfare type (land, sea, air), and so on and so forth. If someone isn't interested in the specific set of all of these variables, then there's a good chance they won't be interested in the game. With Euros and abstracts, I feel like there are a smaller number of basic types and theme especially is less important to irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
People are just too people-like to be cornered into a "must-play" category. I can name CDG's, but there are plenty of Grogs for whom CDG's are just not grognards enough. I can praise Empires in Arms to the hilt but have a volley of objections thrown my way--too long, too complex, too dated, what do Aussies know about game design and can teach us Americans, etc.

The "must play" category is best left on the table of each gamer, for to each his or her own.

If there is but one game that everyone should at least learn and play on a serious level, I would have to say chess, one of the granddaddies/momma's of gaming.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
"Must play" wargames would be most of the early stuff that started the hobby like the Avalon Hill classics (Waterloo, Afrika Korps, Stalingrad) along with several of the early SPI fare. It will allow you a greater appreciation for the hobby and allow you to experience the evolution of wargaming not to mention the fact that they are still great games. Also good for introducing newcomers to the field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
The only wargame I have consistently played and owned over the 31 years since it first came out is Up Front.

Every wargamer should play it once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Peso Pete wrote:
The only wargame I have consistently played since it first came out is Frederick the Great. Like Chess and Go, it is an easy game to learn but a very difficult game to master. Since much of the game is figuring out when to fight a battle and when to avoid battle, it is not going to appeal to everyone (or even most wargamers). However, if you want to know why it is a travesty that Frank Davis is not in the Wargaming Hall of Fame, this is why. A timeless classic that inspired countless games ever since.

Preach it, brother! A really fine game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mb
Ironically, I have not played many of the "must play" AH classics (Waterloo, Anzio, Stalingrad, etc).

If you're interested in strategic WW2 games, give WIF a try some time. Even just a short campaign, to get a taste for it, if time & space limits mean you don't expect to become a WIF regular...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Ironically, I have not played many of the "must play" AH classics (Waterloo, Anzio, Stalingrad, etc).

If you're interested in strategic WW2 games, give WIF a try some time. Even just a short campaign, to get a taste for it, if time & space limits mean you don't expect to become a WIF regular...

Well Wendell, then you should play them. But I'd love for you to teach me WiF too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał M.
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think wargaming as a hobby has those "must play" games.
WHy should I, as a guy who is interested almost only in ACW, play some "must play" games covering, let's say, East Front?
I don't care about this topic as a gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
superflat wrote:
Checkers and Backgammon are arguably “must play” games for Abstract board gamers.

You'll have a lot of the abstract gamers up in arms by calling Backgammon an abstract and they are a very tetchy lot - in the same way that most wargamers don't regard 'Small World' as a wargame they would regard anything with dice as not an abstract - they prefer a narrower definition of their niche along the lines of '2-player combinatorial' games.

back on topic - I'm a wargamer of nearly 30 years standing but have never played any of the AH/SPI classics - 'Squad Leader' and 'Up Front' yes but nothing like 'The Russian Campaign',or Waterloo. So I don't really think there are any 'must play' wargames - although if you were a tactical WWII player then you should at least try some flavour of SL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

Dude, if I lived in Virginia, I'd be knocking on your door. I've alwasy wanted to see what the hubub is all about. I figure it's got to have something to it, since I don't see guys named: ASLBob, OCSBill, or WaWJudd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mb
airjudden wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Dude, if I lived in Virginia, I'd be knocking on your door. I've alwasy wanted to see what the hubub is all about. I figure it's got to have something to it, since I don't see guys named: ASLBob, OCSBill, or WaWJudd.

Well, my door is in Minnesota now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
The only wargame I have consistently played and owned over the 31 years since it first came out is Up Front.

David, where do we get a copy without giving up a kidney, or two?

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
airjudden wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

That damn witness protection program is costing us taxpayers a fortune....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TRUE abstract gamers will not play games with dice!

But, yeah, Catan is the Case Blue of Eurogaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

I haven't played an AH classic in years, but I remember Afrika Korps, Anzio and Russian Campaign being my favorites when I did. 1914 is pretty good if you play with the SPI Revision which forces the French to attack at the beginning of the campaign (which they did historically). I remember Panzer Leader being fun as well although that fun factor depended largely on which scenario you played since some of the scenarios were better than others..

However, since I haven't played any of them in a number of years, I guess that proves that they are not "must play games" for me.

Then you already "must played" them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
TedW wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

That damn witness protection program is costing us taxpayers a fortune....

As long as he halts his uranium enrichment program, I'd say it's worth the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
TRUE abstract gamers will not play games with dice!

Nor their brains, because if they had any brains they would be playing--wait for it--CASE BLUE!

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
airjudden wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Speaking of, if you don't mind teaching a newbie, I'd love a lesson on WiF at a 1st Minnesota meeting, sometime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bentlarsen wrote:
DaveyJJ wrote:

David, where do we get a copy without giving up a kidney, or two?

goo

I made trade offers to just about everyone that had a copy listed as for trade on BGG, until I finally made a deal with someone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mb
wernervoss wrote:

Speaking of, if you don't mind teaching a newbie, I'd love a lesson on WiF at a 1st Minnesota meeting, sometime.

That might be do-able. Would have to be something like the one-map Barbarossa scenario, something that could be done in a few hours not weeks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
airjudden wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

That explains how you and David were able to play Mark Herman's new game. I scratched my head and thought, "Wow! He'll buy a plane ticked from Virginia to Minnesota just to play a Mark Herman prototype? Crap. I'm not even that dedicated!" I always said Mark Herman only knows awesome, but he's about to finally understand what "not awesome" is ... me!

This actually makes me feel better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Reading you for years, I know WIF is a game where I REALLY don't know what I'm missing! Would love to try a few sessions to find out what that is! Anyone own a copy in my neck of the woods?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Swider
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malaggar wrote:
I don't think wargaming as a hobby has those "must play" games.
WHy should I, as a guy who is interested almost only in ACW, play some "must play" games covering, let's say, East Front?
I don't care about this topic as a gamer.

Agreed ... wargames are too context rich whereas with German games and abstract games that the themes are generally tacked on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.