BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Multiple Publishers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Suhada Roughley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm new to BGG
I wanted to work out who published "Ingenious".
If I look a the Ingenious page it shows about 20 publishers.
I would perhaps have expected a few if the game had been published by one and then another publisher but 20!
I thought it was usual that a game would usually only be published by one publisher.
Can anyone explain?
Thanks
Suhada

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fong
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few reasons for this (and more i can't think of):
1) Different regions - each region may have it's own publication branch.
2) As you mentioned, a new publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suhada Roughley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks Brian.
So I presume the fact that Ingenious has 20 publishers means there's a pretty big selling network going on worldwide.
Is it likely that
(a) The Game Designer has a contract with just one of the publishers who then sub-contracts rights to other publishers or
(b) will the designer have contracts with all the publishers or
(c) do these things vary?

If it's (a) then is there a way of telling who the main publisher is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suhada Roughley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
By going to the UK IPO website I worked out that "Sophisticated Games" owns the Trademark in the UK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually one, I believe; but I imagine some exceptions occur. The designer is Reiner Knizia. If you look at the box back by browsing the gallery on the Ingenious game page, you find that Sophisticated Games is always on the box (lower right), so I'd assume that's the original publisher.

You can click on the above image and choose original size to see all the details. If you click on the previous designer and publisher links, you can see a (very long) list of all the games they've each made.

Thinking about it, a large publisher in the UK or the US or Germany would, I think, routinely pay for worldwide rights. But a small publisher in Obscuristan might be more likely to only want to pay for the rights to the Obscuristanese language version.

And welcome to BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suhada Roughley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks Walt - I feel clearer about it now.
It's early days and I haven't even sent my game to a publisher yet but it's useful to start to understand how the licensing works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
welcome

You should check out the Board Game Design forum. You can even ask 'dumb' questions here and a published designer will likely share their experiences and advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suhada Roughley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks Liam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.