Subject: Publishing games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Suhada Roughley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm new to game design.
I have designed a game.
The game is a two-player abstract strategy game which includes placing wooden blocks. Can learn in 5 minutes and play in 20 minutes.
Age 10+ Maybe 8+

I have a good prototype.
I've done quiet a bit of playtesting - received well.
Rules are clear.
Just working on a concept note/selling page document.

I'm now looking at different publishers and not sure which to approach.

I live in the UK - In Bristol.

I quite like the look of Gigamic as they have some wooden two-player abstract strategy games so I presume they would find the manufacture and marketing similar.

Q1 Has anyone ever published (or tried to!) a game with Gigamic and if so what was your experience like?

I live in the UK and Gigamic are in France so.
So also a more general question:
Q2 Has anyone living in the UK published (or tried to!)a game with any publisher in Europe and if so what was it like to do that from across the channel?

Answers to these questions or any other related thoughts/advice appreciated.

Thanks
Suhada

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hamish Sterling
Australia
Cairns
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Have you looked into self publishing the game and how much that would cost?

Are there many components, board etc.

Why not, if feasible, look at doing a small run and selling yourself....better return for your efforts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suhada Roughley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I did initially wonder about self-publishing. I'm not sure I want to get into running production/marketing/IP - think I'm probably better placed to design.
However the game is simple: 40 cuboid wooden blocks, box with variation which makes it double as a board and one A4 sheet of rules - do you know how I'd go about finding manufacturers/getting quotes - if I did decide to explore that option?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.jamesmathe.com/10000-feet-to-publishing-a-board-g...

http://www.jamesmathe.com/hitchhikers-guide-to-game-manufact...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I once submitted a game to Gigamic, but the turned it down.
It was an abstract 2-player game too.
But as far as I can tell the games you have in mind (Quarto, Quorridor ... ) have been published quite a logn time ago. If you look at the games published doning the last 5 years, they have changed their portfolio a lot.

So for a wooden abstract the first publisher that come to my mind are intellego holzspiele, Clemens Gerhards and Steffen-Spiele.
If it must not be wooden, HUCH! and nestorgames might be an option too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suhada Roughley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks Markus, that's really helpful.
I hadn't looked at the dates but I can see that's it's important to check that the publisher has a CURRENT interest in the sort of game being published.

I had looked at Intellego Holzspiele and have now looked at Clemens Gerhards and Steffen Spiele. All three produce nice looking games and I could see my game fitting in with any of them.

All three of these look like relatively small companies.
I haven't got enough experience to know whether that could be a limiting factor for numbers of sales?

I was wondering about Ravensburger as a larger publisher with an international distribution network.

For a first time game, am I right to be considering the size of the publisher?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Ratcliffe
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
*** EXPLORIANA *** Coming Soon 2018!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hamigua wrote:
Have you looked into self publishing the game and how much that would cost?

I'll always suggest that you should only self-publish (i.e. start a publishing company) if you want to manage/run a company in the tabletop gaming industry. This is a lot of work and it takes multiple game releases, years and a great deal of money spent to build up your brand and develop your audience. Of course, this is different if you're keeping it a small-scale project but then the game's not going to get nearly as much exposure as if it were signed with an established publisher. Simply, if you just want to design games and get them played by people around the world, pitch your game to publishers.

Suhada wrote:
I'm now looking at different publishers and not sure which to approach.

It depends on your target audience as to which companies will be interested. For instance, is it a highly strategic game or is it more of a family-style abstract game? As far as I can tell, Gigamic as well as the other publishers suggested by Markus all seem like a good fit for your game although there are plenty more publishers out there that publish those types of games...it's really about finding a company that you trust to show enough interest. EDIT: Actually, with Gigamic (as Markus points out), it's true that they've made more of a shift to board/card games in recent years so they might not be that interested in your design. I haven't worked with them, or any of the other companies mentioned, personally so can't say much about them.

Suhada wrote:
For a first time game, am I right to be considering the size of the publisher?

Yes and no... The larger a publisher is, the harder it is to capture their attention. You really need to have a connection with the company, as well as have a game that is going to pique their interest. Essen and the Nurnberg Toy Fair are great places to arrange meetings with European publishers and pitch them your game...though these meetings do need to be booked months in advance.

Suhada wrote:
I live in the UK - In Bristol.

I'm in Bristol myself, nice to meet you!

Miles

Chaos Publishing
www.chaospublishing.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suhada Roughley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks Marcus - found your comments useful.
I'm pretty clear I don't want to run a company so am not going to go down the self-publish route.

You mentioned arranging meetings with European publishers in advance.
I'm considering going to Essen this year - 16th October so only about 10 weeks.
Do you think there's enough time for booking meetings at that?

Also - had a look at your Chaos Publishing website - very nice indeed.
Good to meet you.
Suhada

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Ratcliffe
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
*** EXPLORIANA *** Coming Soon 2018!
mbmbmbmbmb
Suhada wrote:
Thanks Miles - found your comments useful.
I'm pretty clear I don't want to run a company so am not going to go down the self-publish route.

Corrected that for you ;) ...but thanks. I did get that impression from your previous post. I wrote more in response to Hamigua's question if there were any doubts as well as for anyone who looks over the thread, given the title. :)

Suhada wrote:

Now's a great time! Too far in advance can be 'too far in advance'. In fact, I'm just arranging my meetings for Essen at the moment. It's just when gets to around 1 month prior it's usually a bit too late, though it depends who you're talking to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suhada Roughley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
golddmaster wrote:

Suhada wrote:

Now's a great time! Too far in advance can be 'too far in advance'. In fact, I'm just arranging my meetings for Essen at the moment. It's just when gets to around 1 month prior it's usually a bit too late, though it depends who you're talking to.

Thanks again Miles and apologies for getting your name wrong in previous post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.