tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Regrettably, it's still there. At least on my screen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is still here, and is still teh bear bating pit it has always been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doe Gibson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't show any RSP threads either... at least not within the first 5 pages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mindy, it's also missing from my Forums | Active and Forums | Recent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally only do "Active" and I see what you mean. Not that I miss it much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know there's no reason a boardgame site needs to be discussing religion, sex and politics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
You know there's no reason a boardgame site needs to be discussing religion, sex and politics.

Couldn't the same be said about any subject discussed in Chit Chat, Feel the Love, or BGG Community?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

But it's good to have a separate forum for RSP, to try to keep that stuff from spilling over into other parts of BGG.

edit: I still see RSP there under "Everything Else", under the Forums tab.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

Or pictures of cats sitting in boardgame boxes, or geeklists about how great someone's wife is, or all these card games that don't have boards.

There should be a CWC (cat/wife/cards) forum to protect us from such chicanery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
Regrettably, it's still there. At least on my screen.

I removed it from mine. I quickly found out, I don't want to know the political opinions of some of the folks I otherwise like. Ignorance is bliss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D M
United States
Playa Del Rey
CA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wow. Didn't know what RSP stood for. Mistakenly spent a few minutes looking at posts.

Best game to lower blood pressure anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

Couldn't the same be said about any subject discussed in Chit Chat, Feel the Love, or BGG Community?
I don't think so... BGG community makes sense since we are a community brought together by board games. And I don't see an issue with allowing non-boardgame conversations, so Chit Chat is safe. But given the inherent risk of arguments, I can certainly see some value is moderating RSP talk. There are lots of other forums for controversial and argumentative topics. If you really want to get into a discussion that's liable to turn into a spat, then there are better places to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
oriecat wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

I don't think so... BGG community makes sense since we are a community brought together by board games. And I don't see an issue with allowing non-boardgame conversations, so Chit Chat is safe. But given the inherent risk of arguments, I can certainly see some value is moderating RSP talk. There are lots of other forums for controversial and argumentative topics. If you really want to get into a discussion that's liable to turn into a spat, then there are better places to do it.

I'm an advocate of RSP. It allow users the freedom to express themselves, while ensuring that the rest of the site is clear from discussion that might divide us... though Heroquest '25' does come close. whistle

I'd also say that while I don't agree with 75% of the views in RSP I do admire that the community is made up of individuals who appreciate the company of even those they disagree with and that they don't force their strongly held opinions outside of RSP. IMO, BGG is better because of the existence of RSP and those that contribute there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

As an RSP regular, I beg to differ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Easton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
IMO, BGG is better because of the existence of RSP and those that contribute there.

I think this is probably true. It allows people an acceptable place to discuss those things while still being able to contribute to the actual boardgame stuff.

I've been a member of many fora without such a place and the usual result is banning. I was a member of a martial arts site for awhile that lost some really experienced posters because politics came up, there was no RSP, the conversations got hairy and people got banned.

It's nice to have the option for those guys to "take it to RSP" and then have them still be able to post on other topics without having to wade through the other stuff.

Quote:
As an RSP regular, I beg to differ.

I think Bryan is on point, though, when he mentions "needs."

You may like it and feel the discussions have merit, but we don't really need one. What god you worship and how you feel about the free market or guns shouldn't really have much to do with how to defeat Big Money or whether Spyrium is as good as Village, should it?

Like was said above, there are tons of other sites for that. I think it a boon that BGG has it, but I don't think we need it.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think it's bad, and always will, as long as it keeps spilling out into the rest of the site, which it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Easton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I still think it's bad, and always will, as long as it keeps spilling out into the rest of the site, which it does

I think once it starts to, though, it is moderated pretty quickly.

You might get a few comments before Octavian gets to it, but I think he is pretty quick at the wheel.

I also don't think it really derails threads. We are so used to RSP that we members ourselves start the, "Hey, get a room" comments pretty quickly also.

I used to be pretty heavy into political commentary on the Net and one of the things I really like about BGG is how those topics aren't thrown in my face.

I can avoid them and any mention is usually fleeting before that discussion heads off to RSP.

I mean, if I see some provocative comment, I'm much more likely to respond with, "This doesn't belong here...take it to RSP," than to actually engage.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
MilesF wrote:
I still think it's bad, and always will, as long as it keeps spilling out into the rest of the site, which it does.

I'd argue that it's inherit within all human beings (A la Aristotle). Your regulars in RSP simply don't go spilling it elsewhere on the site. Before people even know of RSP they bring up politics, sex and/or religion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh!

I just had a quick look. Keeping 'em quarantined is looking pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the direction this thread has taken is in poor taste. I'm hardly a regular at RSP, though I do participate from time to time. Lots of folks here are trash talking it, but the rules of the site basically forbid RSPers from coming here and stating why, in fact, it should exist. Because any such conversation would rapidly devolve into topics that are, wait for it, forbidden to be discussed outside of RSP!

So I think the only fair thing is for this thread to be moved to RSP and you all can discuss your feelings with the fine folks there about their forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:
I think the direction this thread has taken is in poor taste. I'm hardly a regular at RSP, though I do participate from time to time. Lots of folks here are trash talking it, but the rules of the site basically forbid RSPers from coming here and stating why, in fact, it should exist. Because any such conversation would rapidly devolve into topics that are, wait for it, forbidden to be discussed outside of RSP!

So I think the only fair thing is for this thread to be moved to RSP and you all can discuss your feelings with the fine folks there about their forum.

Actually, several of us have agreed that RSP serves a useful function both to those who want to discuss RSP issues on BGG, and for those who don't want those issues to spill into other parts of BGG. I doubt it's going away; if we didn't have it already, we'd have to invent it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
MilesF wrote:

If you're mopping a dirty floor, it would seem weird to suggest that the dirt spilled from the mop bucket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't start this thread for people to debate whether RSP should exist, that's already been done plenty of times. I just want to know if/why it isn't showing up anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hawkins
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

[tongue-in-cheek] Clearly boardgames and boardgamers are inherently aspiritual, asexual, and apolitical! [/tongue-in-cheek]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.