Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

Blueprints is a fun little dice game. It forces you to use the dice in interesting ways to score points. This game is all about scoring points and you will never feel like you are building buildings. The theme allows you to be forced to build a building in a certain blueprint and that creates more decisions about which dice to use.

The dice come in four different colors and each color will score a little differently. Your mission is to create the highest scoring building with the available dice and what you hope the dice will be available in the future.

While Blueprint gives you a lot of information about what materials are available, this information is not perfect. Between this turn and your next turn, your opponent will take one dice and a new random dice will be placed out. Otherwise, every other die that is there now will be there next time.

Blueprint plays rather quickly and it isn't a deep game really. You sort of do the best with what is in front of you. All players are pooling from the same available dice. Really the only difference is the blue print you are given to start the round.

Even though the game is easy to play, I would not have non-gamers play this game. There is too much instruction needed for scoring. It can lead to frustration. Or, if you are going to play this with non-gamers, I would advise being sure you can play a few games in a row to get the scoring memorized and understood.

The components are good and familiar. While a good game, I would not put this game in the company of a game you must have in your collection. Instead, I would only purchase this game if it sounds like something you would enjoy.

I'll keep the game around for a while, but it could be easily gone in a few months.

Components:

The components are actually pretty good. You get some cards that are really not shuffled that much and are good quality. The drawings while a tad crude are sufficient and simple enough for the game. The screens are a tad small, but likely this size to fit in the box. The dice are nice and roll fine, but are still standard dice. There were ways to go really cheap on this game and did not. Good (enough) job.

Rule Book:

The rules are clear and can be quickly read from the rule book. The big explanation is going to be the scoring and the colors of the dice used. While not at all hard to understand, it does require you to download all the information in your head before playing. As you need to memorize this (or keep referring to it), a game or two is helpful to make it all come together in your head.

Flow of the Game:

The flow of the game is rather simple. Each player gets a blueprint card which tells them what building they are trying to build. Then a number of die based on the number of players are rolled and this is the available resources for the round.

On your turn, you pick one available die and place it on your blue print (which is behind your screen so only you can see it). Then, a replacement die is pulled from the bag so your opponent now has an equal number of dice to choose from. This continues until each player has 6 dice drawn.

When you take a dice, you may put it on an empty space on your blue print or on top of a previously placed die (so your building gets taller and more three dimensional).

After all 6 dice are drawn per player, you score your building.

- 6 points for building your building correctly
- Now each color of dice is scored differently:

-- Orange (2 points per each die adjacent to an orange dice)
-- Green (2/5/10/15/20/30 scored for a collection of dice); thus the more green used, the more valuable they are
-- Black (2/3/5/8 for each level the die is on; so you are looking to put black die as high as possible)
-- Clear (valued at the number of pips on the die)

It is obvious that there are a lot of different ways to score and at some point you are going to press your luck to get dice of the same color. Or to get a black die higher. Or do you grab that clear 6 and ruin your plans to get all those green dice?

Decisions. Decisions. To make matters worse (or better) (or harder), there are scoring cards that give you bonus points. Points! And more Points!

Learning to play this game is easy. Scoring is where the game is hard. Well, not hard, just a lot of things to think about.

Should I buy this game?:

A dice game to build buildings is not a game most would think of. Yet, this game works overall. It is a starter game, not a main event. It is something you can play with the wife and have a little fun.

I doubt this will be your favorite game or a game you look forward to playing. It has interesting decisions. The game is light and won't appeal to everyone, but it is short enough that most will play along.

Keeper. For now. Likely not forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Saya
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy your "purge" reviews and usually agree with them.

Note: the 4th picture is of some other game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
twitch.tv/zenxacred
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
msaya wrote:

Same here! Don't change the image

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I want them to try to figure out why FBI cards are in there xD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zenxacred wrote:
msaya wrote:

Same here! Don't change the image

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I want them to try to figure out why FBI cards are in there xD

Ha. Had to change it. I was using the outline from an old review. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has taken a liking to this one more than I expected after the first play. It has enough things to try that it feels like it has some staying power over some other 30 min games. I'm not sure if it's a permanent game for me either but it's definitely been fun so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to present a counter view, I got a bit bored with this game after about 3 plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got bored with it after 6 plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Happymrdave wrote:
My group has taken a liking to this one more than I expected after the first play. It has enough things to try that it feels like it has some staying power over some other 30 min games. I'm not sure if it's a permanent game for me either but it's definitely been fun so far.

I agree. I'm not sure this is a game I will keep forever. I need to space plays out to get it fresh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game, highly underrated! Grab it if you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
Decisions. Decisions. To make matters worse (or better) (or harder), there are scoring cards that give you bonus points. Points! And more Points!

I suspect you are playing wrong.

Those 2-pt bonus cards, plus the 1/2/3 pt most valuable building cards are your ONLY victory points in this game.

Your end game score should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 11 or 12 points.

Each round the buildings are "scored" only to award the 1/2/3 VP cards. (You also award the 2-pt set collection bonus cards at that time.) After the end of round card awards, you FLUSH the score marker and start again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.