Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D McHenry
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Reading the rules it seems to imply that each round of combat is simultaneous, with inactive attacks not affecting the combat value of the active player, even though the results of the inactive attack is implemented before the active players roll/attack.

Is that correct?

For example the active player comes in with a lone fighter and inactive has a lone fighter. The inactive player gets a kill with their attack but the active player still rolls for his/her attack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sensible Simon
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
Correct. DXed or AXed units get their last shot at glory...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Morrell
Australia
flag msg tools
One small nuance that was pointed out to me in my last game.

Combat is not strictly simultaneous, as I recall each round goes:

- +/- calculated
- Non-phasing rolls
- Results implemented
- Phasing rolls
- Results implemented

The nuance is if the non-phasing gets a result, the choice of the phasing player victim must be made before the phasing player rolls (and therefore before that result is known). The odds do not change but, for example, on a DA result the phasing player must choose to abort the FTR or bomber before knowing what his result will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
dazmorrell wrote:
One small nuance that was pointed out to me in my last game.

Combat is not strictly simultaneous, as I recall each round goes:

- +/- calculated
- Non-phasing rolls
- Results implemented
- Phasing rolls
- Results implemented

The nuance is if the non-phasing gets a result, the choice of the phasing player victim must be made before the phasing player rolls (and therefore before that result is known). The odds do not change but, for example, on a DA result the phasing player must choose to abort the FTR or bomber before knowing what his result will be.

Yes - the air-to-air values don't change after implementing the result achieved by the non-phasing player (the first side to roll), but the AX or DA or AC or whatever has to be done before the 2nd player rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Moore
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't related to the above but I don't know how to start a new thread and hopefully some knowledgeable mentor will read this.

It's funny how you can play a game for years making all sorts of assumptions and then something can jump out at you out of the blue.

When I was recently setting up my latest Global War campaign using Planes in Flames as always, I suddenly hit on the following question:

In the set ups, the WIF aircraft are listed separately from the Planes in Flames additions. There is also a separate column that lists the number of pilots for the nation. My query is: do the WIF planes come with pilots automatically and the listed pilots are intended for the PIF additions? Or, is the # of pilots in the column the finite total limit for ALL of the available A/C.

I have always played that the listed pilot # is the total for both PIF and WIF A/C, but I began to have doubts. Could someone clarify if I have been right or horribly wrong. Mind, in 1939 it probably doesn't make a lot of difference, but as Jack Hawkins said in "The Cruel Sea", you might as well get it right.

Thanks

J
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunner Joe wrote:
It's funny how you can play a game for years making all sorts of assumptions and then something can jump out at you out of the blue.

When I was recently setting up my latest Global War campaign using Planes in Flames as always, I suddenly hit on the following question:

In the set ups, the WIF aircraft are listed separately from the Planes in Flames additions. There is also a separate column that lists the number of pilots for the nation. My query is: do the WIF planes come with pilots automatically and the listed pilots are intended for the PIF additions? Or, is the # of pilots in the column the finite total limit for ALL of the available A/C.

I have always played that the listed pilot # is the total for both PIF and WIF A/C, but I began to have doubts. Could someone clarify if I have been right or horribly wrong. Mind, in 1939 it probably doesn't make a lot of difference, but as Jack Hawkins said in "The Cruel Sea", you might as well get it right.

You're right - that one number in the "pilots" column covers both the WIF and PIF columns for that one aircraft type (FTR-2, for example). And since that the # of pilots is usually smaller than the aircraft in question, you'll end up with planes in the reserve pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.