Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Saltdean
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always been out off Amazon.de offers here as I was under the impression that the shipping or P&P was too prohibitive unless a minimum spend was reached.

However, I just ordered Abluxxen, granted a small card game, and it is cheaper than buying it over here in the UK.

Is this because I am Amazon Prime, thanks to Lovefilm account, or is it because we are in the EU or something. I use Bing Translator to try to work something out.

It seems there are no shipping choices in the .de version compared to the UK Amazon account, it's a standard charge.

M B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat
United Kingdom
Middlesbrough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your UK prime doesn't cover .de it's just that the standard shipping from .de to UK is pretty reasonable as far as I can tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GnatOfPower wrote:
Your UK prime doesn't cover .de it's just that the standard shipping from .de to UK is pretty reasonable as far as I can tell.

I believe sometimes, even if you buy it from DE, they ship from England. This keeps shipping costs low.

There is a chrome plugin that compares prices between different Amazon countries.

*edit*
Germany->England
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a part of the reasons might be that shipping costs in Germany are generally quite cheap, compared to other countries (as far as I can tell.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the_vinman wrote:
GnatOfPower wrote:

I believe sometimes, even if you buy it from DE, they ship from Germany. This keeps shipping costs low.

There is a chrome plugin that compares prices between different Amazon countries.

Do you mean from England ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Saltdean
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick responses everyone. Much appreciated.

Unfortunately for me, it means I will be finding it harder to resist opening my wallet!

M B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I may be wrong, but I think part of it is that Amazon bulk ship to the UK, then ship locally which is cheaper for them, a saving that they (at least partly) pass on to us.

Susie_Cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
a part of the reasons might be that shipping costs in Germany are generally quite cheap, compared to other countries (as far as I can tell.)

Susie_Cat wrote:

I may be wrong, but I think part of it is that Amazon bulk ship to the UK, then ship locally which is cheaper for them, a saving that they (at least partly) pass on to us.

Susie_Cat.

Both of the above seem to be true.

Amazon.de shipping is just uncommonly cheap period.

I order from them regularly and I live in the US. No other overseas retailer offers rates even close to as reasonable.

What I receive is a mix of boxes shipped from Germany, the UK, and I seem to recall one that even came from another country in the EU. Also worth noting that I can't get nearly as good a shipping price from orders through their .co.uk website.

Unfortunately Abluxxen is one of the few items they won't ship here (due to a licensing conflict) and I've been wanting to get a copy for ages. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:

I've been meaning to ask about this in Discussing Retailers. I've found that rather suddenly Amazon.de shipping costs to the US has gone up considerably.

It used to be shipping was crazy cheap. Now it tends to run 15-25 euros. Essentially it now doubles the cost of the game.

Have you noticed a change as well Dante? I'd say the change occurred maybe 2-3 months ago or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
NuMystic wrote:

I've been meaning to ask about this in Discussing Retailers. I've found that rather suddenly Amazon.de shipping costs to the US has gone up considerably.

It used to be shipping was crazy cheap. Now it tends to run 15-25 euros. Essentially it now doubles the cost of the game.

Have you noticed a change as well Dante? I'd say the change occurred maybe 2-3 months ago or so.

I never order just a single game, and my per item shipping cost has remained pretty consistent. It may be that the first item cost has changed though and I just didn't notice since I always order more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
England
Hull
East Riding of Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
But we have to change the rules because Monopoly's so boring!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought a few things from amazon.de to here in England and its so much cheaper than buying from the UK.

I got Kingdom Builder and the Nomads expansion for 20 quid delivered a month ago.

Just like we are ripped off in the UK from everything from beer to petrol it would seem we are with games are too.

I would always check out Amazon.de for language independent games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Misterboy wrote:
NuMystic wrote:

I never order just a single game, and my per item shipping cost has remained pretty consistent. It may be that the first item cost has changed though and I just didn't notice since I always order more.

That could be it. I've ordered single games several times over the years with shipping costs less than $10 USD. I tried shipping two games just now and while the shipping costs did go up, it was only an incremental increase.

I guess the good times are over. Frankly, it was hard to believe how inexpensive it was to buy a few games from .de

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat as you, I think, Dan. I think it might be because we're outside the EU or something. I've bought several games from .de with nice shipping and amazing prices. But now the only shipping option I get when checking out is a fast and expencive one. Earlier I had the option to choose a cheaper one taking a week or so, but that was great. Now buying from them gets crazy expencive. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tjohei wrote:
I'm in the same boat as you, I think, Dan. I think it might be because we're outside the EU or something. I've bought several games from .de with nice shipping and amazing prices. But now the only shipping option I get when checking out is a fast and expencive one. Earlier I had the option to choose a cheaper one taking a week or so, but that was great. Now buying from them gets crazy expencive. cry

That's pretty interesting that you've seen a change in shipping within Europe (even if outside the EU).

I remember the increase in shipping costs coinciding with some significant changes to the checkout/shipping process. They must have overhauled their policy, or changed international shipping carriers.

If I recall correctly, they will only ship to the US via DHL. Previously, there were other options that led to a hand off to USPS. I'm guessing DHL won the contract to handle shipping to the US (and possibly outside the EU in general) which is has caused a price increase.

Take all this with a grain a salt. This is speculation based on my memory of the current shipping situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamehearted wrote:
the_vinman wrote:
GnatOfPower wrote:

I believe sometimes, even if you buy it from DE, they ship from Germany. This keeps shipping costs low.

Do you mean from England ?

Oops, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antony Alexander
United Kingdom
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
If I recall correctly, they will only ship to the US via DHL. Previously, there were other options that led to a hand off to USPS. I'm guessing DHL won the contract to handle shipping to the US (and possibly outside the EU in general) which is has caused a price increase.

To be honest I suspect that they just overhauled their shipping policy because their prices were probably losing them money. The cost of shipping has increased enormously in Europe over recent years. I used to buy/sell quite a few small bits and pieces on Ebay (wargames miniatures and the like) and would often buy and sell in Europe - now if I sell anything I don't offer it for sale outside the UK as I would just get hopeful people asking for a shipping estimate then baulking when I tell them the cost and I set my search preferences for buying to UK only for the same reason.

I looked at how much it would cost to send Abluxxen to the US from the UK and the cheapest method (without packing costs of course, just the shipping) took up to 12 weeks to arrive and cost £5.10 (about $8.70). Next step up is delivery in 7 working days and costs £7.45 (about $12.70). Sure Amazon.de has tricks to save money on shipping that I don't but I'm guessing that their costs have still increased and they have passed that on. And if you want to talk really expensive shipping - try getting something from the US to the UK!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alabaster Icon wrote:
The cost of shipping has increased enormously in Europe over recent years.
This may be true at the consumer end of the marketplace, but it certainly isn't for Amazon of for many other retailers. If you are linked into the big courier networks and are despatching in decent volume the costs have come down significantly. European road freight is seeing massive growth which is driving wholesale prices down and service levels up.

For example, I have seen rates for DPD Next Day delivery from Holland or Germany into the UK which are only about 20% more than the same service within the UK and Hermes is starting to leverage its infrastructure across Europe to offer a cheap 3-5 day service.

Whilst online retail drives massive growth in this market there is no need for the couriers to start courting consumers directly, but once intra-EU retail growth slows down (3-5 years would be my guess) expect to see some competitive consumer offers emerging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alabaster Icon wrote:
...And if you want to talk really expensive shipping - try getting something from the US to the UK!

Especially when they add VAT on the declared value plus postage!

And don't get me started on the handling fee that doubles the cost...!

Susie_Cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if the actual shipping prices themselves has increased. I only said they removed the cheapest (normal) option, leaving the expensive express delivery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antony Alexander
United Kingdom
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boltongeordie wrote:
Alabaster Icon wrote:
The cost of shipping has increased enormously in Europe over recent years.
This may be true at the consumer end of the marketplace, but it certainly isn't for Amazon of for many other retailers. If you are linked into the big courier networks and are despatching in decent volume the costs have come down significantly. European road freight is seeing massive growth which is driving wholesale prices down and service levels up.

I can understand the increase in volume driving freight prices down and I know Amazon would clearly get cheaper prices than I would but it seems odd that courier delivery would come down for business while going up for the consumer as surely the same systems and infrastructure are used for both? I guess it shows that the couriers aren't really interested in the consumer market so price accordingly. The prices I quoted for shipping to the US were actually Royal Mail which is still the cheapest method for international shipping for the consumer - the cheapest courier price I found was over £12 (over $20).

Incidentally, if prices did come down to domestic price +20% for European shipping that would be about where it was when I first started flogging bits on Ebay. Then the domestic price shot up and at one point it was cheaper to send a miniature in a box/blister to Italy or Spain than it was to send it to the other side of the town I live in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alabaster Icon wrote:
I can understand the increase in volume driving freight prices down and I know Amazon would clearly get cheaper prices than I would but it seems odd that courier delivery would come down for business while going up for the consumer as surely the same systems and infrastructure are used for both? I guess it shows that the couriers aren't really interested in the consumer market so price accordingly. The prices I quoted for shipping to the US were actually Royal Mail which is still the cheapest method for international shipping for the consumer - the cheapest courier price I found was over £12 (over $20).

Incidentally, if prices did come down to domestic price +20% for European shipping that would be about where it was when I first started flogging bits on Ebay. Then the domestic price shot up and at one point it was cheaper to send a miniature in a box/blister to Italy or Spain than it was to send it to the other side of the town I live in!
Same infrastructure for the most part (though there are additional, consumer only elements) but often different systems. I think the couriers will get round to consumers eventually as the market flattens out but at the moment it is a fast growing marketplace and if your choice is a large player who you already have a relationship with, who will manage their own customers and who can bring significant volume to the table or maybe 10,000 small customers at a higher margin but significantly higher overheads and onboarding costs you go for the big player first. Especially if it helps you retain their domestic volume as well.

There is no reason that the nearer parts of mainland Europe should be much more expensive to deliver to in the long term than the UK as they all have thriving domestic delivery markets and the transport between the two countries (assuming a full trailer) would add around £1 to the retail cost of sending a small (sub 2kg) parcel, hence my 20%.

The problem comes when you get to a country that does not have a mature, courier home delivery market (such as Spain). Then prices will be much higher and service levels lower. However, I can see costs to Benelux, Germany, France, Ireland and so on getting much closer to domestic UK prices in the medium term, especially if you assume the delivery will take a couple of days longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alabaster Icon wrote:
Misterboy wrote:

To be honest I suspect that they just overhauled their shipping policy because their prices were probably losing them money.

Yeah, that's uh, what I said. Changing exclusively to DHL constitutes an overhaul to their policy. However, that was just a guess. What is clear is that they have overhauled their shipping policy; the details are unknown, but the reasons are clearly because they thought they were spending too much money. I doubt they changed things just to annoy customers whistle

But thank you for being honest

Edit: I formulated an example last night but was too tired to post. Here's what I'm talking about:

I ordered Tobago from .de in late April 2014 and the shipping was ~6.5 Euro. The exact same order now nearly TRIPLES the shipping cost to ~18 Euro.

What kills me is that I was just in Germany and didn't pick up any games because I didn't want to deal with the airplane hassle. This decision was based on the cheap shipping, as I hadn't realized things had changed. Ah well laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antony Alexander
United Kingdom
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
Alabaster Icon wrote:
Misterboy wrote:

To be honest I suspect that they just overhauled their shipping policy because their prices were probably losing them money.

Yeah, that's uh, what I said.

Oh yes, sorry. Ooops, wait, no it wasn't it was about a contract change to DHL. Still, thanks for filling us in on what you actually meant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Saltdean
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Susie_Cat wrote:
Alabaster Icon wrote:
...And if you want to talk really expensive shipping - try getting something from the US to the UK!

Especially when they add VAT on the declared value plus postage!

And don't get me started on the handling fee that doubles the cost...!

Susie_Cat.

Yup. I stopped buying from US etc as the Royal Mail Handling charge was obscene, usually double the VAT charge.

TBH, I should have challenged the charge for Say Bye to the Villains from Japan that ended up costing me close to £35 instead of about £15. Shame AEG has just released the English copy.

And looking at something like Kickstarter, the International shipping on projects usually doubles e price of the game.

In comparison, US users regularly complain of having to pay full retail price as almost everything is discounted on pre-order by at least $10 if not more.

I'm just glad we are getting some good deals now.

BTW, fair enough on the lack of European games getting into the US in the first place though. Bit of a gamble there.

M B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a company in the past quote $40 shipping US>UK on a pack of cards that would cost me $6 to ship UK>US.

I remember passing on the Star Realms Kickstarter because it was $20 shipping on a $15 game, and again the reverse journey would have cost me $6.50.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.