Subject: Tiny Epic... TRAITOR!? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
First a little background:

After watching rahdo's run through I checked out the PnP and realized I could quickly mock the game up with a 6 suited deck of cards. Because I was playing with cards and memorizing abilities I removed the artifacts to save myself some grief.

TED felt more "lean and mean" and every loss felt like it was my doing rather than the game not giving me what I needed in terms of artifacts.

My only problem is that Dire Enemies lost their bite because the artifacts are enticements to put yourself in harm's way; Without those trinkets I was less inclined to defend against them unless the threat level was severe.

My idea was to use the extra cards to create 5 decks of 5 cards called Honor decks. At the beginning of a 2-4 player game each player takes a deck. Each player checks the deck (all cards in them are the same) one of these decks is marked to indicate that player is a traitor. This means that a traitor may or may not be present in each game.

The way the honor deck works is simple. Instead of getting an artifact for defeating a Dire Enemy you draw one card from your honor deck as a reward for your valiant efforts. At the end of the game all players reveal their honor, if no hero can exceed the total shown by the traitor... Evil wins. This represents the traitor being the secret mastermind and using the Epic Foe as a ploy to take over the throne.

This possible traitor mechanic makes things very interesting as the heroes are constantly questioning the motives of everyone else. Do you let another player defend against the dire enemy? What if they're the traitor trying to gain honor? If you rush there and are the first person to yell "defend!" When a Dire Enemy is drawn you can take the honor yourself... But will you be painted as the traitor?

There are some serious mind games played in the right game group.

Next step:
Maybe a custom deck with values 1-3 for heroes and higher values for the traitor

Bonus (+5) for the traitor killing the Epic Foe (risk killing your minion or try for the honor value win)
No Bonus for the heroes killing the Epic Foe... Do your job!

Feel free to try it and give feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.