Subject: Looking for best educational game rec's for 2-3 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
L Long
United States
Graford
Texas
flag msg tools
Most games that I've played that are primarily educational I quickly lose interest in. I love games like Kingdom Builder, Puerto Rico, Trains, Tobago, Carcassone, Hive, Mr. Jack, Memoir 44, Notre Dame, Tigris & Euphrates and more. Although most of the games I have and play I would say develop great thinking and reasoning skills I am looking for a more educational type game - one that either helps with Language, Math, History or Geography skills.

What are some of the best games you guys can think of that are primarily educational but are interesting, have good replay value and will play well with 2 or 3 players. Really want games that play in 1 hour or less and no witchcraft themes please.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
History
Chrononauts

Economics
Chicago Express
Airlines Europe

Geography
Ticket to Ride series

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jaquette
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sekigahara
1775: Rebellion
1812: Invasion of Canada
A few acres of snow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fong
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This list is a bit age dependent. the age and maturity level of the players must be taken into account.

Language:
Scrabble - a classic
Barbarossa - 20 questions

Math:
Ticket to Ride - counting
RoboRally - ordering, sequencing

Geography:
Pandemic - global scale
Ticket to Ride - US geography
10 Days in the USA - US Geography (well any of the 10 days... series will apply to a specific region.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any game in the 10 Days in... family of games are really good for geography, and play in less than an hour...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan McNamara
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a sure way for games to help you learn! Choose one of your favorite games with a non-fictional setting, and then find a good book on the subject. Read the book (or listen to it, or find a podcast...) and play the game while you read it. Playing Memoir '44 will be much more rewarding after having read about it, and it will get you thinking about the event even more, and you'll think about how the scenario is trying to simulate something.

Play Friday and read Robinson Crusoe. Find a book on Swahili culture and play Jambo.

The act of reading/listening, and then revisiting the info through the game (no matter how abstract the game is) will provide a richer educational experience than any game (no matter how thematic) can deliver alone. The book and the game will make each other better.

That being said, while these games don't address specific educational skills, you might learn some decent content from them:

10 Days in... family of games for learning countries and/or states

Timeline family of games can help you learn the dates of different events/inventions...

If you push your time over an hour, a wide world of historic games open up to you; just go to the GMT website and choose a topic you find interesting from the menu. (I just started playing Sekigahara this week, I've previously listened to a great podcast on the history of Japan; Twilight Struggle and 1989 have prompted me to spend many hours reading on the events of the Cold War...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Freedom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Paperback
Freedom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A big +1 for Timeline.

My favorites
Timeline: Inventions
Timeline: Events

I'm looking forward to trying
Timeline: American History

But I didn't care much for
Timeline: Discoveries
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Long
United States
Graford
Texas
flag msg tools
I have Ticket to Ride and some of the Timeline series.

I've looked at all the suggestions so far and would love some more.

I think 1775 Rebellion and a Few Acres of Snow are both something I would like when we are studying those things.

I homeschool and I was just looking for ideas that I can tie into various things we study. My son is 8 but don't let fool you. He plays light / medium games with us with no problem (i.e. Puerto Rico, Euphoria, Notre Dame, etc).

Would love a game to go with American Exploration (like Lewis & Clark or the Santa Fe Trail) but Lewis & Clark is really has more involved than we have time for.

I asked for 60 min. games because it is easier to find time to play a 60 min. game. I would consider up to 90 min. if that helps.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Long
United States
Graford
Texas
flag msg tools
EBWonder wrote:

RoboRally - ordering, sequencing

This appeals to me but I wondered if it we would like it. We had Survive and ended up selling it. It was too chaotic and we didn't feel like we really had any control over the outcome. In reading and watching reviews about RoboRally I wondered if we would feel the same about this game. Any comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Phelps
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
They call me Troll; Gnawer of the Moon, Giant of Gale-blasts, Curse of the Rain-Hall, Companion of the Sibyl, Nightroaming Hellion, Swallower of the Loaf of Heaven. What is a Troll but that?
mbmbmbmbmb

Fauna

Fun AND edumacational...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan McNamara
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shore_pk wrote:
This appeals to me but I wondered if it we would like it. We had Survive and ended up selling it. It was too chaotic and we didn't feel like we really had any control over the outcome. In reading and watching reviews about RoboRally I wondered if we would feel the same about this game. Any comments?

Roborally is less chaotic with fewer players; three players will have limited robot interaction and you should feel very 'in control'. It's also very customizable, so you can change the board setup or the flag layout to make it so the robots don't spend as much time near each other.

Also, deduction games offer a pure application of essential math skills. Scotland Yard, Mystery of the Abbey, or Zendo are all good examples.

Zendo is particularly awesome, though it's hard to find. I made a DIY set for my classroom by ordering a Chessex "pound o' d6" (from amazon), and writing up a bunch of conditions. Having a student be the zendo master forces them to create logical proofs, an essential thinking skill!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Long
United States
Graford
Texas
flag msg tools
We have and love PI. I've considered Mystery of the Abbey again. Will have to give it another look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori Four Bears
msg tools
The Mapominoes games are great for two players. We improve our geographic knowledge every time we play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.