Hide
14 Posts

Archer: The Danger Zone! Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Rarely have I had so much fun with a bad game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Abfalter
msg tools
This is rating as I write about 3.5 out of 10. And I really cannot argue with that rating.

As a board game it is pretty simplistic. Essentially is boils down to picking the best mission cards to fit your skills set and always throwing insults (subtracting points) at whomever is in the lead. There is very little here in terms of strategy or game mechanics that are interesting at all. As a board game it is pretty simple.

None of that matter.

You don't play this game for strategic value. You don't play this game to be challenged by interesting mechanics.

You play this game to laugh.

The game does not take long; maybe a half hour or 45 minutes. In that time you will be continually backstabbing each other with quotes and insults from the game that are drawn from some of the funniest things said on the TV show.

The card artwork is also comprised of shots from the show (many not exactly child friendly) and are just as funny to watch as the things being said.

This is nice for an icebreaker warm-up game to play before getting into something more heavy. I think it would also play well in a party environment, particularly if someone made a drinking game out of it...

This has some nice things going for it. Most of the game components are of good quality except for the flimsy scoring track. Each player has a unique card and special abilities which help differentiate people. There is a selection of rooms that vary from game to game.

And it plays eight people. If you have a group of 7 or 8 people it is really hard to find any game that can accomodate; this one does the job just fine.

So if you are looking for a serious game, then no. Why would you look at an Archer board game if you were serious anyways? But if you want to have a funny game that works on a simple level and can handle up to eight players then then this game is just fine.

We played it with five and had a blast. Looking forward to playing it with a few more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exactly what I was expecting from this game. Just a silly good time with a lot of laughs. It has huge drinking game potential and I am sure in the right crowd it will go over very well.

My copy should arrive Monday and we already have a night set up to play it and have a few drinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
I played this with 6 today, knowing full damn well how bad it was supposed to be.

I do not think that they portrayed fully just how bad it was. It was worse than was even initially expected.

Good luck rationalizing this bad purchase and glad to hear somebody likes this. We just couldn't lower our intellectual fortitude enough to strain the credibility that there was a game inside this box, no matter how much we loved Archer.

We did have a lot of fun mocking the game as we unceremoniously threw the components back into the box. So there is that.

Are you sure you are not exaggerating just a little bit here?

You didn't like it, we get it... But wow, so are you saying this game is a 1 on the BGG rating chart? Or have they not invented a number low enough to accurately rate just how bad this game is?

I really do not think one needs to "lower their intellectual fortitude" to enjoy this, nor "rationalize the purchase".

Some people may truly have a blast with this game without having to alter their mindset or fool themselves into thinking they like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Van
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
... Some people may truly have a blast with this game without having to alter their mindset or fool themselves into thinking they like it.

And some might be justifying their pre-order by refusing to believe people might actively dislike this game.

I'm just saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mont Van wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:
... Some people may truly have a blast with this game without having to alter their mindset or fool themselves into thinking they like it.

And some might be justifying their pre-order by refusing to believe people might actively dislike this game.

I'm just saying.

A person is totally allowed to dislike a game. It is clearly not for everyone. I could tell that by reading the description. That is not my point.

But to imply some have to alter their mindset and lower their intellectual standards etc. to appreciate it comes off as a little harsh and condescending to me. That is all I am saying.

If you don't like it, fine, but don't berate those who do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
This is exactly what I was expecting from this game. Just a silly good time with a lot of laughs. It has huge drinking game potential and I am sure in the right crowd it will go over very well.

My copy should arrive Monday and we already have a night set up to play it and have a few drinks.

Let us know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Abfalter
msg tools
LordHellfury wrote:
I played this with 6 today, knowing full damn well how bad it was supposed to be.

I do not think that they portrayed fully just how bad it was. It was worse than was even initially expected.

Good luck rationalizing this bad purchase and glad to hear somebody likes this. We just couldn't lower our intellectual fortitude enough to strain the credibility that there was a game inside this box, no matter how much we loved Archer.

We did have a lot of fun mocking the game as we unceremoniously threw the components back into the box. So there is that.

Wow, your game group sounds like SO MUCH FUN!

We did not have to lower our intellectual fortitude any because we were able to utilize a sense of humor while playing. Somehow, despite all odds, we were open enough to accept that it is a simplistic game and manage to have fun with it.

No rationalization or justifications. Still glad I picked it up in the store when I saw it. Will play it again, because it was funny as heck.

But then again, I'm in a game group that knows how to have fun with all sorts of games. We played this, had a lot of laughs, then played some more serious games afterwards.

But hey, thanks for stopping by this thread and posting a bunch of pretentiousness all over it. I hope you feel more superior...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:

So how was it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Abfalter
msg tools
LordHellfury wrote:
Fauxcused wrote:
LordHellfury wrote:

Wow, your game group sounds like SO MUCH FUN!

We did not have to lower our intellectual fortitude any because we were able to utilize a sense of humor while playing. Somehow, despite all odds, we were open enough to accept that it is a simplistic game and manage to have fun with it.

No rationalization or justifications. Still glad I picked it up in the store when I saw it. Will play it again, because it was funny as heck.

But then again, I'm in a game group that knows how to have fun with all sorts of games. We played this, had a lot of laughs, then played some more serious games afterwards.

But hey, thanks for stopping by this thread and posting a bunch of pretentiousness all over it. I hope you feel more superior...

So the people I played it with are dullards because we didn't glean the same enjoyment as you did? We like games that are viewed by the consensus as "stupid". Wiz-War, Heroscape, etc. More fluff than substance if you will.

Which only serves to illustrate how utterly bad this game is. We could make the same jokes while actually watching Archer, than to buy another licensed product to make the same damn jokes. It takes just a tiny bit more than pictures and a ridiculous lack of game design to warrant even calling this a game, or the purchase itself no less.

Convince us why its good. I can laugh while playing any game. Even Power Grid, as odd as that is. Why should anyone buy this , other than the fact it has archer pics all over it?

The knee jerk defense mechanisms from those who literally need to justify why they enjoy this game (or should enjoy this game despite not even playing it) is both alarming, and telling. Of which I take none of it seriously and honestly is funny as all hell to read, so that is also a sign of who is likely to have more fun in gaming, as well as in life.

Like I said, I am glad somebody enjoys this game. I really wish I could and didn't let earlier negativity spoil the game for us. The game itself did that well enough all on its own.

Good. Good. Let the hate flow through you.

You came in here rude and negative and then are defensive when folks call you on it.

A simple "I didn't like the game because..." suffices. Instead you have to talk about lowering intellectual fortitude and implying that anyone liking the game needs to rationalize it and that they are not very bright.

Do you not see how much of a condescending jerk that makes you look like?

If you are going to be rude in your feedback like that don't get all huffy when folks call you on it.

Convince you to buy it? Am I under obligation to do so?

I started my post acknowleging wholeheartedly that it is a BAD game. I even say so in the title! Then I talked about how I managed to find a way to have fun with it anyways.

What is so wrong with that?

You are being rude, condescending and not contributing to the dialog in any positive way.

But you know what? I am probably wasting my time here. People like you are not going to be reasonable. You are probably already formulating some rude response that you think is all witty. So go ahead, post whatever you want in response. And I'll even read it. But there is no reason to try and continue a dialog with someone with such poor online discussion manners, so I am done with you. Get your last word in (I'll let you have it, for I am sure you will feel the need).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So how was it??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
Winter Garden
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
So how was it??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:

I want to read your review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Sulin
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked this up and read the rules and already think its not going to be very fun. Will give it a try with my friends but not confident.

Is it me or does Cryptozoik seems to be getting a reputation of just throwing a weak game on top of a license.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Fauxcused wrote:

And it plays eight people. If you have a group of 7 or 8 people it is really hard to find any game that can accomodate; this one does the job just fine.

Yes - tough number. In my own collection for 7 I had:

7 Wonders
Bang!
Bohnanza
Civilization (very, very long)
Eclipse [with expansion and very long]
Formula D
Pit
Struggle of Empires (long)

I've since sold some of those but of them, 7 Wonders, Bang!, Civilization and Pit all work good (that doesn't mean I actually LIKED playing those games though- I'm just saying for that number of players they are good).

Eclipse is 'ok' too but I don't like the downtime once you've added that many players. Struggle of Empires is good, but suffers from that same downtime problem to some degree. Also both Eclipse and SoE are relatively heavy so unless each player already has a grasp of the rules, you can expect a long a painful experience

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.