Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Wiens
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if this has been covered in the forums, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I also haven't seen it in the rules, but it seems like a situation that could come up a lot.

Playing the AE solo scenario, I had one Alien race launch a fleet. They were unable to reach a colony before the next economic phase, in which another fleet was launched from the same race. Once the first fleet reached my colony, that fleet was constructed using the AP ship points. They had 40 cp available, and purchased a DD and 6 scouts (Balanced fleet, no attack or defense tech yet) leaving 1 cp point left over.

My question is regarding the second fleet's construction. I can move ships in to intercept the second fleet before they reach a colony and before the next economic phase, which means that that fleet will have to be constructed using the single left over cp. Obviously, they can't make any ships with 1 cp. What do I do? Is there a rule that I'm missing that says that only one AP fleet can be launched at a time?

Thanks, and sorry if this was covered elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which version of the rules do you have?
There was an extra bullet point added to the Fleet Launch instructions in version 1.1 that specifies that you subtract all cp from the fleet launch column when a fleet is launched and assign it to that specific fleet.

So when the first fleet launches and they have 25 cp (for example) then the fleet column goes to 0 and the fleet gets assigned 25 cp. The next fleet launches when they have 15 cp and again the pool again goes to 0 and now you have fleet one with 25 cp and fleet two with 15 cp. If fleet one now gets constructed and uses 24 cp then 1 cp goes back into the fleet cp column, not to fleet two.

If you have version 1.0 of the rules you can find the pdf of 1.1 here on BGG, the changes are highlighted in blue so they're very easy to find.

EDIT: I also find the flowcharts from Close Encounters do be much easier to follow and reference than the text in the base game. While they're designed with the expansion abilities in mind you should be able to use them for the base game scenarios too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wiens
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha, Thanks! So a fleet that is launched doesn't receive any additional fleet CPs after it is launched? Those CPs automatically go into fleet construction for the next fleet? I was wondering about that as well, actually. Seems weird for a fleet to get additional fleet construction CPs after that fleet has already been launched.

I'll check out the updated rules.
Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome.
Once a fleet is launched its budget is indeed fixed. Just like in a two player game you would know roughly how many ships are coming your way by how many counters there are you know in the solo game how large the fleet will be by how large its budget is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.