David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone, I was on the fence about this game for a while - loved the concept but had read a few reviews stating the game was a little easy and could lack theme.

Anyway after reading many of the variants published here I took the plunge and have been playing the game several times a day over the last week. From the beginning I have used some of the variants here and these have led to a tough series of adventures so far...

I am playing solo using two characters and my success rate is around 1 in 3 - which is a sweet spot for me and similar to me getting to grips with new LoTR scenarios.

The variants I am using are these:

* Byron's slow mix.
* Byron's Zoidus' Magical Knapsack
* Adding 1D4 random monsters to the blessing deck
* Blessings can add a maximum of a 1D8 to a check
* 1 extra location
* Alex's linear movement cards
* If the blessing deck runs out each character banish a random card

These variants make a very tense and interesting game - especially the linear movement cards and extra location makes movement and character placement crucial particularly towards the end of a game.

Thanks to the posters of these variants - great work. Makes an okay game really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of adding an extra location and burying a card if the blessings run out. I'm not familiar with the other variants so I will have to check them out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
badge
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean banish a card if the blessings run out?
Been soloing Valeros up to adventure pack 5 and after seeing how hairy it gets later on I was happy to leave my own previous house rule of 'mandatory exploring' behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tieman
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you post links to the variants your mentioned? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tristan, yes I meant banish - have corrected my original post.

Links to variants:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1101397/comprehensive-rotr-v...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1132673/location-layout-card...

Not a variant but a great resource, http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1199461/rise-runelords-prolo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone, just an update on how it is going...

I got to the end of adventure pack 3 when my wife decided she liked the look of the game and so we started from the beginning...

The games have been great fun using all the variants listed above. The balance is good with a couple of the scenarios coming down to the last few blessing cards. The most memorable was approach to Thistletop when it went down to the last blessing card and Merisiel had to use her entire hand to finally defeat the villian - great stuff!

Thanks again to the authors of All the variants I have been using. The prologue and epilogue by Byron is excellent and gives the game a great story flavour. The extra location and linear locations makes managing your resources important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.