Hide
12 Posts

Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men» Forums » General

Subject: What is needed to play a casual game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bleejean
msg tools
I searched for an answer to this and didn't see one so I hope people don't mind giving some advice.

I am interested in getting into this game. What do I need to buy in order to play a fun, casual game? Can I get what I need for $30-40? I want to play standard games against people that don't have their own game (so I would need enough stuff for both players). Could I just buy two starters and still have the full experience? If I buy one starter and ~18 boosters will I be able to put together two full teams of characters?

Thanks for your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleejean wrote:
I searched for an answer to this and didn't see one so I hope people don't mind giving some advice.

I am interested in getting into this game. What do I need to buy in order to play a fun, casual game? Can I get what I need for $30-40? I want to play standard games against people that don't have their own game (so I would need enough stuff for both players). Could I just buy two starters and still have the full experience? If I buy one starter and ~18 boosters will I be able to put together two full teams of characters?

Thanks for your input!

Yep. I would say a good investment would be two starters and a box of boosters. That is actually MORE than enough, but the extra possibilities for deck building will keep it fresh for longer. Or, you could do the 18 packs and add more over time as you get burned out. My only problem (and this would be me), is I would get into the habit of chasing cards buying packs here and there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend one starter and 18 packs. From there, if you want to keep things cheap. Get the common singles off cool stuff so that you have 4 dice of each non-starter character and print up proxies for all the cards. Then pick up another starter.

Edit: higher cost characters like Phoenix and Dr. Strange, I wouldn't get more than two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ducimus
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get a starter and a box of boosters you will have pretty much all the commons likely most of the uncommons an extra dice for each starter character about six rares and possibly a super rare. That would be plenty. You will get a good play set out a starter and 18 boosters but if you like most of us you will buy more so a box works out cheaper in the long run. Buying individual dice is cheap as well and as previously mentioned you probably won't ever need four dice for most of the seven or even six cost cards as things tend to be over before you can field many of them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bleejean
msg tools
Thanks for the replies.

So basically I should be looking at 1 or 2 starters and a box of boosters so about $65-80?

I'm not sure if I want to make that kind of investment. Maybe I'll wait until people start getting tired of the game and buy a used collection for cheap (though that's what I said about x-wing miniatures and here I am ~25 ships later!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Metelo
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To keep it cheap I would go a starter and 2 sets of commons from eBay. If you want to spludge add a set of uncommon.

That should run at 30 bucks once the starter price s come back to msrp.

Plenty of game to play with only those cards.

If you eenjoy pick the dice for the cards you enjoy the most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
metelo wrote:
To keep it cheap I would go a starter and 2 sets of commons from eBay. If you want to spludge add a set of uncommon.

That should run at 30 bucks once the starter price s come back to msrp.

Plenty of game to play with only those cards.

If you eenjoy pick the dice for the cards you enjoy the most.

I think this would be the way to go too, but note that right now the price for starters is still pretty high on ebay.

The advantage of buying a common set or two, is you would get to see every character, and get an idea of how the uncommon or rare versions play (though sometimes the common is the most popular version). The versions usually do something similar, and there are lists that describe the specific powers of the other versions. Just print a list, cut the paper, and put the proxy on the common cards. The same dice are used in all three versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fearn
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
To play a casual game you could get by with the Starter and just a few boosters to add some variety.

Unless you plan on hosting an event or doing two matches at once, getting two starters is nonsensical for casual play, and I think the suggestion may have been in case someone you play with wants to get more into it as well.

The starter set comes with everything you would need to get started, except for a playmat. There are links galore in the files section of various mat designs people have come up with. I chose the simple one and printed it out at Kinko's, which you could laminate or put in a sheet protector.

Once you feel more into it, you could then look into more boosters. I've been able to walk into the store 3 times in the last 2 weeks and just grab some boosters, so availability may have made it a bit easier for me.

In any case, you could start out casually for under $30 and build from there. If you find a starter in store and some boosters and don't like it, you could flip those items at or above what you paid, at least at current demand for starters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleejean wrote:
What do I need to buy in order to play a fun, casual game?

You only need one starter set for two people to play a casual game. Everything else is just to get you more game-play options. The more cards you have the more choices you have for building your team. The more dice you have the more of that character you'll be able to use during the game.

That's why it's called a "starter set", btw. Every CCG releases starter sets for precisely that reason: to give a new player somewhere to start. Some game's starters are only for one person, but this game's starter has what you need for two people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Taylor
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How much are you willing to buy?

I would suggest getting one starter and the rest in boosters.

If you want a bit more variety and see this as a bit more than a casual game I would suggest one starter and a box of boosters.

Either way you are not really spending a fortune on it. Try being in Australia where a box of boosters will set you back $90+ dollars(if you can get them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bleejean
msg tools
Thanks again for the advice. I have decided to just buy the starter set and the uncanny x-men starter set as well (when it is released). It will only cost $30 and I'll have enough characters to have some variety in my games.

I think I will look into a drafting mechanism for making the teams at the start of each game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
you may have enough characters, but you lack dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.