Hide
8 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » Strategy

Subject: We need more robot counters. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
alex bruce
msg tools
I'm thinking of getting into designing some custom tribes to help keep robots in check better. Pirates do an okay job, but robots can still dump their entire hands in one turn to avoid board wipes, and pirates are already a disadvantaged faction.

So what would a tribe need to be effective in and of itself, but also have a knack for dealing with the "rush weenies" strategy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Zimmerman
msg tools
mb
I think there are two ways to stop a weenie rush in Smash Up! The first is to destroy the minions after they are already in play, which Pirates does a fairly good job at, the second is to prevent them from coming into play. This second can be done one of two ways, make it so only a certain number of minions can be played each turn, or destroy minions when they come into play ala Leprechaun.

I think a deck designed around controlling minions, not destroying them, would be interesting. A minion that says 'You can only play 1 minion this turn, or as long as this in play'. Or a minion that restricts the number of minions that can be on a single base. More creative ideas like that instead of just punishing the robot deck for playing it's game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Bears tend to be a pretty good counter. Move their minions and then destroy them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steampunk is pretty capable of directly competing with Robots once you get the Aggromotive and the Rotary Slug-Thrower out. Killer Plants can also put a lot of crowd control against Robots out with their Sleep Spores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Spangler
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geckomage wrote:
I think there are two ways to stop a weenie rush in Smash Up! The first is to destroy the minions after they are already in play, which Pirates does a fairly good job at, the second is to prevent them from coming into play. This second can be done one of two ways, make it so only a certain number of minions can be played each turn, or destroy minions when they come into play ala Leprechaun.

Do give Tricksters a try. They can be really effective (particularly in a 2 player game) at limiting what can be played where.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Matteo
msg tools
mbmb
I mean there have been some decent cards to deal with them. Besides the obvious Sleep Spores, Broadside, Crop Circles, etc., they have a hard time against other minions w/ removal. Usually when you play something that kills a minion (ex: Laseratops, Tiger Assassin, Spirit), you usually end up matching them in power w/ one minion.

Plus there are lots of bases that intentionally mess w/ Robots & Zombies (Czars Palace, Antartic Base, Field of Honor, Secret Volcano HQ, to name a few).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Quintero
msg tools
I don't think there are effective counters.. bears for example dont matter unless you can do the total wipeout (that play on base cards that kills all minions) but that has little chances to be great because robots jump form 1-2 minions on a base to 12; which smahes it so on your turn you kill 2 or none

Robots and Dinosaurs have no counter. Everything they do is a huge tempo gain, each card has huge value; the dinos max the chance to domnate by destroying/power actions, the robos max the chances of card draw and "surprise" smash

Some bases punsh robots, but some -the majority- benefit them

This game is designed to be fun , not balanced

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
crossfiyah wrote:
I'm thinking of getting into designing some custom tribes to help keep robots in check better. Pirates do an okay job, but robots can still dump their entire hands in one turn to avoid board wipes, and pirates are already a disadvantaged faction.

So what would a tribe need to be effective in and of itself, but also have a knack for dealing with the "rush weenies" strategy?

Most factions destroy minions of power two or less, so they're already being hosed. In most games,you'll be the one getting targetted by everyone else, even if you're not in the lead, simply because you're the only legal target.

Yes, you can dump your hand in one turn, and then what? You're stuck with two cards, and a faction that wants you to play extra cards.

[quote]A minion that says 'You can only play 1 minion this turn, or as long as this in play'. Or a minion that restricts the number of minions that can be on a single base. More creative ideas like that instead of just punishing the robot deck for playing it's game.[/quote]

A restriction of 1 minion per turn as long as another minion is in play wouldn't counter robots, it would completely negate them.

As I remember, their only destruction cards is conditional to controlling minions equal or greater to the power of the minion you want to destroy. And since they can't play more than one per turn, they'd be hosed for a long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.