This is our latest global campaign of the best game in the world. We play via Vassal and we use all expansion except LiF and FiF. The players are:
Matteo (me, aka teobius) – Germany
Amos (aka azalin1982)– Japan & Italy
Alessandro – CW, USA & China
Federico – Russia and France.
The Allies aren’t regulars of this forum, and thus me and my accomplice are quite free to discuss our secret, classified, most confidential and always winning strategies with you. We would very much like to get some advices and comments, since we like talking WiF and because we are still learning the intricacies of this game (and messing up some rules, every now and then).
Since we have enjoyed others’ reports very much and we learnt a lot by reading them, we would like to be very clear about what’s happening in our game, even if it means stressing some basic concepts that everybody knows. We hope to be of some help for new players looking for sample games.
Options we use: anything in RAW7 except the following: limited overseas supply, recruitment limits, task forces, HQ movement, fractional odds, oil marker costs, strat bombing bonus, food in flames, en route aircraft interception, limited aircraft interception, offensive chits (we use o-points), intelligence, japanese command conflict, rough seas.
We also use the following annual 2008 options: lending limits, land movement in snow, randomized surface combat losses, randomized naval air combat losses, aircraft rebasing, additional US entry actions 37, northern land lease, land leasing units, territorials, CLiF damage, upgrading heavy weapons, offensive points.
And we use LOC Vichy and the following house rules: Wendell’s Stalin’s war, Wendell’s Repubblic of Salò, only Allies can surrender, AA can decide not to abort or kill planes.
You can find short summaries and links to previous turns at the bottom of this report.
MAY AND JUNE 1941
INITIATIVE: Axis 7, Allies 1, Axis goes first.
Weather is: StRFStRR, FFFFFF, FFFFFF, FFFFFF.
After some bad weather, the action begins with Yamamoto spending some offensive points to storm Chungking from two hexes. Four ground strikes disorganize the defenders, and the rest is easy as cutting through butter (+15, 28 rolled. 1 USE). Also the lone chinese FTR is shot down, and a yellow stack remains behind, doomed on the mountains. The nationalists are shocked by the japanese brute force and retreats to Cheng-Tu and behind the river.
In Europe, Russia keeps falling back, as Germany sends all her best troops towards Ukraine to begin operation Barbarossa. It’s been one year of harassment by the communists, which attacked Germany despite the non aggression pact (ah, the villains!), stealing crops and burning the countryside in Poland and Rumania, blasting the oil fields and laughing all the time. Now the Furer has had enough! Let’s give something back.
As the Wermacht penetrates inside Russian home country, the soviet begin railing factories to somewhere safer, starting from Odessa. The Reds’ ground strikes are luckier than the Blacks' ones and so Germany only manages to kill three speed bumps. One blitz south of the Pripets is only in part succesful (+11, 18 rolled, +/R). Germany also loses two planes while killing two, despite the better odds.
There’s no advancement in the north because Berlin has not enough strenght, and needs to concentrate all its attacking force in Ukraine, to have a chance to do some harm.
Meanwhile the Commonwealth and Italy go on with their skirmishes in the Med. Two italian SCS are destroyed and two are damaged, while CW gets only two SCS damaged. Italy doesn’t manage to keep Tripoli in supply, as the british land forces approach from Egypt.
In the other news, the axis suffer 5 PP of strategic bombing, and China 1. Two partisans are killed respectively in metropolitan and Vichy France.
USE options: USA repairs CW ships, oil embargo.
CH (2-10): INF div.
RU (26-10): MECH, MOT, 2 FTR2, 2 MIL, INF, AA, PIL.
GE (21–8): 2 SUB(2), SUB(1), PIL, HQ-A, LND2, FTR2, 2 GAR.
JA (15-0): 2 CVP, 2 OP, 2 PIL, 2 INF div, BB, CP.
IT (6-10): HQ-I, minisub.
Vichy (2+1): INF.
USA (20): 2 Pil, 2 CVP1, 1 CVP0, 2 CV(2), 2 ASW(2), 3 Repair.
CW (22-3): 1 CP, 1 NAV4, 2 PIL, 1 CVP1, 1 FTR3, 1 TRS(2), 1 BB(2), 1 GAR
PREVIOUSLY IN FLAMES:
0 – The Setup: Russia deploys aggressively on Manchurian and Rumanian border, Italy lets all its options open, China makes a line, CW doesn’t care for Malta, Japan doesn’t care for Manchuria, Germany deploys for a no-bess gambit.
1) S/O 1939 - Germany easily conquers Poland and Denmark, declares war on Yugoslavia and aligns Hungary and Rumania. CW and France DOW Germany. Italy DOWs CW and takes Malta. Japan kills Mao in Si-An but loses Canton.
2) N/D 1939 - Japan re-conquers Canton. Russia enters the Baltic States.
3) J/F 1940 - Russia DOWs Germany, but fails to take the rumanian oil fields. USA definitely moves towards isolationism.
4) M/A 1940 - Germany conquers Yugoslavia.
5) M/J 1940 - Germany conquers Belgium and attacks France. Russia advances deeply in Poland, but then retreats. Russia takes the rumanian oil fields.
6) L/A 1940 - Japan DOWs Russia and invades north of Vladivostock, then the IJA takes Kwei-Yang. Germany conquers Paris: Vichy France and Free France are created.
7) S/O 1940 - Guderian leads a small expedition force to Syria, but the Italian fleet is crushed by the Royal Navy. CW gathers troops and airforce in Middle East and Kuwait.
8) N/D 1940 - Germany retreats from Syria. CW DOWs and conquers Iraq. Germany re-conquers the rumanian oil fields. Japan takes Vladivostok, but Russia forces peace. Japan can't send the due BPs to America and the USA is pissed.
9) J/F 1941 - Naval fights in the Med.
10) M/A 1941 - Russia retreats from Rumania.
Japan was on rampage!
We had 2 esa on CK we had eng, we had OP and we had Yamamoto.
I prefer to lauch this kind of (costly) offensive in order to isolate a good Chinese stack too, and we did it!
The problem was the north where the Commie were very strong.
OH, you did a great job, ally! I've never seen soldiers so brave and commanders so smart. We'll smash all of them!
(...and if we won't... we'll leave a world in flames anyway).