Hide
4 Posts

A Duel Betwixt Us» Forums » Rules

Subject: Who plays tricks first? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brad coleman
msg tools
Small question for a great game. Once a duel has been chosen and items to bring to combat are selected it's clear who will win based on the items. The tricks will change the outcome but my wife and I aren't clear on who gets to play the first trick, either the attacker or the defender? We have played it so that the defender plays first be it they are usually at the disadvantage from the chosen duel but was hoping for a more solid answer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mb
I've only played twice now, but I've gone with the attacker playing first. There were times I went into a duel at a disadvantage knowing I was going to use a trick to swing the results into my favor. To me it seems the best way to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brad coleman
msg tools
I see how that would be a good strategy for the attacker and seems with both ways being equally beneficial dependent on your tactic maybe to look weak but have tricks as an attacker or defender, we may have to make a note for house rules in the rule book for who starts tricks, thanks for your input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder, is there any difference who plays tricks first? Just played my first game and I had the same question, but for the most part I seem to remember tricks being discrete, independent occurrences that don't affect one another. Maybe I missed something.

If they are discrete, independent occurrences, then order doesn't matter. All players play all of the tricks they are going to play, all trick effects are resolved and the new combat total is tallied up.

This wouldn't be the case if there are tricks that can effect one another, i.e., one cancels or changes the effect of another. I don't remember seeing any of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.