Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Tischler
United Kingdom
Willingham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Happy backer here with a few rules queries:

1. The Dire Enemy of the Mountains also effects the two adjacent regions. If a player successfully defends the Mountains, are the adjacent regions still affected?

2. If a player does not defend the Mountains but another player successfully defends an adjacent region, does the second player get an artifact?

3. If one player successfully defends the Mountains and another player successfully defends an adjacent region, do they each get an artifact (two in total)?

4. If a player is camped in the Mountain circle with no health left, can he defend? Normally not, because he has no health but being in the circle it costs no health to defend.

5. If a player is camped in the Mountain circle with no health left, can he use the Shield of Aughmoore artifact to defend? Similar to question 4.

5. Can I please stop playing this game now and go to bed? snore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll respond to as many as I know (based on previous threads and Michael & Scott's answers)

1. No - successfully defending vs. the dire nullifies the "follow up" effects. This is always the case with a dire.

2. I presume you mean in the plains (as that would be the only way you could do so) - Yes. ETA: unless you are referring to the effect of increasing the threat in adjacent regions - then no. The Dire is not attacking the adjacent regions, their threat level is raised as an effect.

3. The adjacent regions simply have their threat level raised - that cannot be defended (unless as in point 1, the dire is successfully defended against)... I think.... Michael or Scott will have to weigh in on this.

4. We have always played "yes" - but now I am not so sure (since you ask)

5. The answer would obviously depend is we are playing 4 correctly

6. Yes, you may - but it may prove difficult. PLEASE NOTE: this will only get MORE difficult with all of the extra content that will be available following the KS campaign. Rainer has formed a support group - it's called the "Tiny Epic Guild"...it's okay...we understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
From my understanding of the rules a successful defense against a Dire Enemy negates their ability (though some abilities activate before defense can occur) and you can defend without health if using an ability.

1. No, the ability is negated and threat isn't added to the other regions

2. No, the added threat is part of an effect not an attack so it can not be defended

3. Shouldn't occur based on the above.

4. Yes, based on previous posts the defense ability of the mountain does not require health. It's really helpful to have a hero with no life still be able to defend in exchange for an AP.

5. You can defend without health using the mountain circle so it makes sense to use it first... But I don't see why you couldn't use the shield.

6. No! If you go to sleep the kingdom will fall, stay vigilant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Tischler
United Kingdom
Willingham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the replies guys!

I did not allow defence without health and so the Mountains fell, followed by the capital. I am now held in the Dingy Dungeon of Doom and need deperately to sleep. But I can't. Have you seen what is on the floor?!!! robot

Please keep up the good fight without me. Sniff... cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Castrillo Alonso
Spain
Oviedo
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you CAN'T defend if you have 0 life. It's a basic rule that is not overriden by the special rules of the Mountain or the allmighty Shield of Aughmoore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Tischler
United Kingdom
Willingham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Manuel, that was what I thought as well. Now we have two different answers. Can I call the referee?

Is there an FAQ anywhere for this wonderful game or should the Tiny Epic Clan start a wiki?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Hobbes
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Radir wrote:
I think you CAN'T defend if you have 0 life. It's a basic rule that is not overriden by the special rules of the Mountain or the allmighty Shield of Aughmoore.

I always play this way as well. Regardless of shield or circle, a hero with 0 health can never defend. I hope I've been playing it right.

All the other answers look good to me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can call me, Nick, but I'm also unsure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radir wrote:

I guess until either Michael or Scott weighs in, we each play it how we see it.

Coming from a little bit of CCG/LCG background, there has always been a standard in those types of card games; "The rule as printed in the book is the rule until it is broken by anything on a card". In other words, any wording on a card that "breaks" a rulebook rule takes precedence. Honestly, in CCG/LCG games it was simply a way to allow expansions to also "expand" the rules. So from that perspective the "can't defend with 0 health" as written in the book is "broken" by the mountain card and/or the wording on the artifact card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hobbesvii wrote:
Radir wrote:

I always play this way as well. Regardless of shield or circle, a hero with 0 health can never defend. I hope I've been playing it right.

All the other answers look good to me!

The Mountain ability and the Shield of Aughmoore supercede that rule. So, if you're in the defend circle for the mountain, you are still able to defend at zero health. Likewise, at zero health you are still able to use the Shield artifact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Tischler
United Kingdom
Willingham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks so much for your answer Scott.

Maybe it's worth adding something to the rules along the lines of Greg's answer:
"Where rules conflict, the rules on cards supercede those in the rule book".

I will apply your ruling in my next game ...coming soon to this table!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FurryDice wrote:
Maybe it's worth adding something to the rules along the lines of Greg's answer:
"Where rules conflict, the rules on cards supercede those in the rule book".

While it is typically the Golden Rule of card games that text on the card supersedes the rules, I don't really consider this a card game as much as a board game. (Yeah, maybe I'm picking nits.) As such, I would actually prefer that the Mountain and Shield explicitly say that you can use the effect with 0 Health. That way, no confusion whatsoever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair point. Perhaps something that states (in the rules) that "a hero cannot normally defend with 0 health, unless the hero would not be required (by an artifact, region, etc.) to sacrifice health in order to do so."

I realize the wording is a bit clumsy, but that would also leave the door open to other abilities (be it region, artifact or even hero abilities) which might allow for such an exception...without having to list out every single one.

Incidentally, I believe that's why the "card trumps rule book" convention exists - it leaves the door open to future expansions/abilities, etc., lest every time a new card or ability arrives, a new errata needs to be written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Hobbes
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottbalmes wrote:
The Mountain ability and the Shield of Aughmoore supercede that rule. So, if you're in the defend circle for the mountain, you are still able to defend at zero health. Likewise, at zero health you are still able to use the Shield artifact.

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll be sure to correct that next game. Maybe now I'll finally be able to pick up a win on Hard. angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.