Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Combat Commander: Battle Pack #2 – Stalingrad» Forums » Rules

Subject: More Building Terrain Questions - Map 33 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Artl
United States
New Berlin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played plenty of Combat Commander but I must say that these Stalingrad maps can be a bit confusing. I've reviewed the various terrain questions that others have asked on these forums and I think these building hex rules might be starting to sink in! To confirm that I am understanding the rules, I'd like to list my assumptions based on Map 33 from Scenario 39 (Fortresses of Blood and Iron):

1) D5, D4, C6 and E6 are all building hexes...check. D5 can fire into D4 of course as they are adjacent...check, but what about C6 and/or E6 firing into D4? I assume that LOS is blocked in both cases because there is a bit of wall from the firing building that runs thru B5-C5-D5-E5. Sound correct?

2) G3 can fire at I3 because there is no building along the hex line of H3...correct? But C8 cannot fire into E8 because D8 is also building (albeit the same building)...correct?

3) Finally, C5 is an interesting hex (and very confusing to me). It is a building hex for sure but if you are in that hex, you could be in 2 different buildings as there are buildings on both sides of the road in that hex?!?

I appreciate your comments as I try to understand the maps from this expansion...thanks!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Biker1999 wrote:
what about C6 and/or E6 firing into D4? I assume that LOS is blocked in both cases because there is a bit of wall from the firing building that runs thru B5-C5-D5-E5. Sound correct?

Correct. The LOS is blocked because the LOS touches a depiction of an obstacle (building) in an intervening hex. For example, for the shot from D4 to C6, it is the building on the C5-D5 hexspine. I mention this as WALL is a specific terrain feature in the game, so it is best to think that the LOS touches BUILDING rather than a specific graphic depiction of a building.

Quote:
2) G3 can fire at I3 because there is no building along the hex line of H3...correct? But C8 cannot fire into E8 because D8 is also building (albeit the same building)...correct?

Correct

Quote:
3) Finally, C5 is an interesting hex (and very confusing to me). It is a building hex for sure but if you are in that hex, you could be in 2 different buildings as there are buildings on both sides of the road in that hex?!?

It doesn't matter (in game terms) which building you are in. You are in a BUILDING hex but the available cover is modified by the presence of the road to 2. Remember that LOS is from the center of a hex and only terrain in intervening hexes (hexes that are neither the firing nor the target hex) impacts the LOS. So am curious what is confusing you.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Artl
United States
New Berlin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard,

Thanks for your excellent clarifications to my questions! For #1, I should not have used the word wall...good catch. I think that I was just over-complicating #2 and your response makes perfect sense. Would the cover in C5 be modified down to 2 when playing Stalingrad rules? I thought roads weren't treated as roads when those rules were in effect? Thanks again...big help!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Biker1999 wrote:
Would the cover in C5 be modified down to 2 when playing Stalingrad rules? I thought roads weren't treated as roads when those rules were in effect?

You are correct.

Since you asked about the road splitting the hex, I focused on that and forgot to account for ST4 from the Stalingrad Battle Pack. In the subject scenario #39), Stalingrad Rules are in effect, so roads are ignored. The building cover should be 3.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.