Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off the rules in this game are terrible. I have fumbled my way through a lot of them and I think I have most of them sorted. The question I have is about archiving.

I know that only one robot can be on any given space at a time, so I know that when it comes to touching a flag that each player will have their "turn" at touching a flag. I am assuming though that you stack archives on top of each other as players touch the flag. So if multiple players are destroyed and are all archived at the same flag they then place their robots on spaces around the flag based on the starting position and they are able to point their robots in the direction they want.

I guess I have less of a question and more of a clarification on this. Is what I am saying sounding right?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
"If two or more robots would reenter play on the same space, they’re placed back on the board in the order they were destroyed.
The first robot that was destroyed gets the archive space, facing any direction that player chooses.
The player whose robot was destroyed next then chooses an empty adjacent space (looking orthogonally OR diagonally) and puts the robot on that space. That robot can face any direction that player chooses, except that there can’t be another
robot in its line of sight 3 spaces away or closer"

So, not every direction is possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rules are just fine. It's been one of our favorite games since 1995.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cobame wrote:
I think the rules are just fine. It's been one of our favorite games since 1995.

Then you didn't actually try to learn the game by the rules currectly available!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are printed poorly (2nd edition).

In 2nd edition the robots come back virtual and stack on the archive space.

You choose which direction to face before you get the cards (fairly certain) however, we have house ruled you get to choose the direction after getting the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cobame wrote:
I think the rules are just fine. It's been one of our favorite games since 1995. :)

not sure if the original game came with better written rules, or if it is just a case of newer games having better written rules but the rules how they are written in the copy I just bought at piss poor. Most things are fairly intuitive and after a dry run I was able to figure out most things even is the rules didn't really explain things clearly. I can already tell it is going to be a great filler game for my group and an awesome game to play with our friends that aren't really into games.

I can see this game is ripe for house rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoboRally is my favorite game. And definitely play testing and research helped solve some game rules. I found rule explanations online years ago, before discovering forums.

And yes, many people believed the original rules were poorly written. This sadly is the case with many games!

I love board games and have 73 games on my own list registered on this site. And RoboRally is my favorite. I absolutely love the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MisuVir
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
cobame wrote:

Then you didn't actually try to learn the game by the rules currectly available!

I've got the Avalon Hill edition (2005) and the rules are quite alright. I've had no more trouble learning to play RoboRally than I've had learning any other game.

As for the original query - the multiple archives on the same space issue is covered in the large call-out on page 9.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:
"If two or more robots would reenter play on the same space, they’re placed back on the board in the order they were destroyed.
The first robot that was destroyed gets the archive space, facing any direction that player chooses.
The player whose robot was destroyed next then chooses an empty adjacent space (looking orthogonally OR diagonally) and puts the robot on that space. That robot can face any direction that player chooses, except that there can’t be another
robot in its line of sight 3 spaces away or closer"

So, not every direction is possible.

In fact, it may be that by these rules, there is NO legal place to put a robot re-entering the race. The circumstances my not be likely to happen, but they are possible, Especially if...

...there are a few pits adjacent to the archive space,
...there are a few robots already occupying some of the adjacent spaces,
...there are a few more than two robots re-entering the race at that archive location.

Look at the board called "Island". Orienting the board so its name is rightside up, if there are robots on spaces e6, f5, g6, g8 and h7, and two robots are archived at the wrench-hammer space on f7 and trying to re-enter the race there, there is no legal place for the second robot to be placed.

The second re-entering robot has to be placed adjacent to f7. He can't be placed on f7 because there's a robot there already. Likewise, he can't be laced on e6, g6, or g8, because there are already robots on those spaces. He can't be placed on e7, e8, or f8, because those spaces are pits. That just leaves f6 and g7 - and on either of those spaces, there is no legal placement because regardless of which direction he faces, there is a robot in his line of sight withing 3 spaces.

And this arrangement is certainly plausible, given that g6 is a popular place on this board for a checkpoint, and that the wrench-hammer space is a place robots are likely to try and get to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.