Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played the first two Core scenarios yesterday with three people--all of my previous games have been solo or with two. And with eight Gandalves between us (and four Forest Snares for the Hill Trolls, etc.), and the ability to help each other out more... even Journey Down the Anduin was absurdly easy. I was playing a high Willpower questing deck, and I think I always had 9+ resources to spend, waiting for something scary to react to.

We had 40 card decks--perhaps nudge it up to 50? Or do some restrict the number of Gandalfs in a deck to one or two? It felt like a game of waiting-for-Gandalf-to-save-the-day, with a Gandalf hitting play maybe two-thirds of the turns. A very meh experience.

I realize Escape from Dol Goldor is about to kick our butts, but I'm worried about the 4-6 difficulty scenarios of the first cycle coming up. I don't want to beat them all without a struggle...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tomchaps wrote:

I realize Escape from Dol Goldor is about to kick our butts,

Yes, it will.sauron

Quote:
but I'm worried about the 4-6 difficulty scenarios of the first cycle coming up. I don't want to beat them all without a struggle...

Don't worry, you won't!

The expansion quests are no walk in the park (or float down the Anduin). Once you complete the core quests, definitely move up to the regulation 50+ card decks. Don't worry about reducing Gandalfs, with all the new (and cool) cards you'll have enough difficulty trying to keep your deck close down to 50 as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tomchaps wrote:
We had 40 card decks--perhaps nudge it up to 50? Or do some restrict the number of Gandalfs in a deck to one or two? It felt like a game of waiting-for-Gandalf-to-save-the-day, with a Gandalf hitting play maybe two-thirds of the turns. A very meh experience.

Although it is referred to in the rulebook as the "Tournament" rules, the game is definitely balanced towards 50-card decks. Are the first 2 core sets easy with 3 players? Yes. But you should get to 50+ cards in each deck. (This will also reduce the frequency with which you see Gandalf.)

On a somewhat related side note, in the early days of the game, some single-core players played with 34-card decks, but with a max of 2 of any particular card. This kept the intended ratios the same as a 50-card, 3-max deck. (Although it reduces some of the "swinginess".)

Have fun. Sorry for the tangent.

-TR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Core Set scenarios are made for two players. They are harder, when you play solo, and easier when you have more players.

They managed to balance this better in later scenarios.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Well? Am I?
badge
Don't Blink.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note that although the Core scenarios are absolutely easier with more players, some of the expansion scenarios (especially later ones) actually get HARDER with more people. This happens because when you draw more cards from the encounter deck each turn, the encounter deck is constructed to give itself "combos" where you don't want certain cards to show up together or some cards hurt you through other cards (eg. +1 sauron on location).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.