Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

10 Days in Africa is a great teaching tool to teach/learn geography. It is part of a series of games that play over different continents. In this version, you are trying to get a trip through Africa. If I was a teacher/parent teaching the geography of a country, I would use this game series (and likely will).

I think we can all agree that most educational games are pretty bad. While this is not a great game, it is actually a fun little game. It is Rack-o with a little more. Learning is not the focus of the game; rather it is a consequence of playing the game. This is the best way to learn. The kids won't even know they are learning or care.

This isn't going to be a game you play with your gamer friends, but rather more of a family game or a game with the wife. My wife really likes this game. She liked the learning aspect and the game itself. For a light, fun, little filler, we have a winner on our hands.

The game is simple to learn and simple to teach. The rules never get in the way of the game. The components are so embarrassingly good for the weight of the game, you may feel guilty for what you get in the game.

You will read the flow of the game and instantly know if this game has a purpose/reason to be in your collection. For most gamers without kids, the answer will be no.

Keeper.

Components:

The components in the box are so good. When you consider this is a light, filler type game, the components are that much better. The board is super thick and fantastic. You get card holders made of really thick wood. They are amazing. The cards are not really cards. It is thick cardboard. Kids will not be able to bend this game. I am sure most used copies of this game are in great condition. The only negative is it is not water proof.

Rule Book:

The rules is super clear and straight forward. The game is really easy especially for anyone that has played the classic game of Rack-O. The rule book is made of very thick paper or cardboard. Kids will not easily bend this book. The book is full color and full of pictures and examples. It is about 2 real pages of rules. You can sit down to play and read the rules at the same time. No pre-game preparation needed.

Flow of the Game:

The game is very simple to play and to understand. Luck will play a role in whether you win or lose but so will pressing your luck.

To start the game, each player draws tiles and places them in their 1-10 spot. This gives each player a starting trip. The rest of the tiles form a draw pile. Three cards/tiles are face up that the players can draw from.

On a turn, you draw a tile (either one of the three face up tiles or the top of the draw pile). Then, place a tile. The tiles are placed on your player "board" that is numbered 1-10. You place the tile somewhere which represents your trip itinerary.

You win the game if your trip is a completed 10 day trip. There are a few rules in a 10 day trip. They must either connect by foot (countries must be adjacent), connect by automobile (some tiles have a car on it; the countries must be connected by a third country), or connect by airplane (some tiles have a plane on it; any two countries connect by plane).

Let me condense the game a little more:

You are trying to get 10 cards to be connected (via the above rules: foot, car, plane). On a turn, you draw a card (one of the 3 face up cards or a random card from top of deck) and then you place a card in your 10 cards. Once placed, a card may not be moved unless you discard it to place a card during your game turn. When you finish your 10 day trip via the rules of the game, you win.

Should I buy this game?:

Yes, if you have children. I think this is a very good children's game. If you are a teacher who teaches geography, I think you should have this game (and likely the entire set of games). If you have a some light gamers in your group or want a fun enough little filler gamer, then it can fill a spot in your collection.

I would recommend to have at least one of this series in your collection, but I am not ready to comment on which of the series is the best.

Keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review!

Your last picture shows Blueprint!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
Good review!

Your last picture shows Blueprint!?

Fixed. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
connect by airplane (some tiles have a plane on it; any two countries connect by plane).

Good review - you should probably correct the above statement to:

any two countries of the same color can be connected via plane of the same color etc.

BTW, the most interesting mix of mechanics and theme is Asia with its ocean voyages and railway links

Americas (which includes oceans and a really tight Caribbean map) is just brutal, but challenging if you've mastered the other games in the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.