Subject: Player Interaction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ike Evans
United States
Shakopee
Minnesota
flag msg tools
No thanks needed. I'm just your everyday galactic hero.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple months ago I bought Towers of Ruin with the anticipation that it would be thematically stronger than another game that I enjoy, Dominion. I would say that it is indeed stronger thematically, but weaker in terms of player interaction. I don't ever buy board games just to sit and play solitaire, and that is what Thunderstone feels like just a little bit.

Now, as it sits, I'm interested in investing in an expansion that possibly fixes the problem. Besides "Root of Corruption" which introduces coop play, does anybody know if any of the Thunderstone expansions that ramp up the interplayer shenanigans?

...or (and I will admit that this is entirely possible) am I playing the game wrong because there is actually tons of player interaction and I'm just not smart enough to see it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player interaction is more of the passive sort. Examples:

* Leaving one level-1 hero on top of a stack. If the other player buys it, he exposes the levels 2s for you to buy. This is even more effective if you can experience away all the level 2s.

* Defensively hitting the dungeon hall. Is there one juicy monster and a couple of chumps? Attack the juicy one to fail, just to send it away, leaving your foe with a bunch of chump targets. Ditto leaving monsters with Battle effects that, say, target wizards (which your opponent is using) when your deck runs fighters.

* Get monsters to breach.

* Rangers, with their ability to "mark" foes, boost interaction.

* Certain cards like Treefolk and Creeping Death are interactive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
As Ed said, controlling the Breach effects in Worlds Collide can be punishing.

Just to add to Ed's list:

Towers of Ruin: Aird (all levels)
Caverns of Bane:
Root of Corruption: Silvertongue (L2, L3), Mind Control
Starter Set:
Numenera: Strong-willed (L3), Swift (all levels), Bio-energy Cutter
Worlds Collide: Lorigg (L2, L3), Gohlen (L3), Tholis (L3), Creeping Death, Ritual of Cleansing.

By that count, Worlds Collide is your best bet.

I'm not counting Woodguard (RoC), since in competitive play it's disadvantageous to give my opponents an extra card. Technically, Shield Bearer (Num) and Border Guard (WC) could target an opponent, but I've never seen this done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ike Evans
United States
Shakopee
Minnesota
flag msg tools
No thanks needed. I'm just your everyday galactic hero.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I appreciate the insight.

I wouldn't say that Thunderstone is a bad game, but I get the feeling that this is a game that I won't pursue with meaningful vigor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ikesteroma wrote:
Thanks. I appreciate the insight.

I wouldn't say that Thunderstone is a bad game, but I get the feeling that this is a game that I won't pursue with meaningful vigor.

How many players are you playing in a game? From that comment, I'd guess you and one other person. Guessing.

+Kobolds (ToR lv 1 monster) to above list

I almost only play 4 player games, and that makes it very dynamic and interactive-- if 3 players are rushing the hero you thought you were going to play, you can't stick to that strat and have a good chance of winning. From what I understand, Dominion is like this: you know what you want to do before you play, and can stick with that plan (just what I hear). In TA every set up, and most importantly how the monsters come down, forces you to adjust tactics (excluding Epic Thunderstone variant, that has one good strategy to use).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SaintHax wrote:
(excluding Epic Thunderstone variant, that has one good strategy to use).

Please share. I've never tried Epic, but I'm curious as to what that strategy is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rogue148 wrote:
SaintHax wrote:

Please share. I've never tried Epic, but I'm curious as to what that strategy is.

I'd honestly rather not-- else everyone ends up playing the same and you'll give upon Epic like my group did. A couple of game discussion guys (Rym and Scott) once mentioned that once you know the single best strat for a game, it's no longer fun to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SaintHax wrote:
rogue148 wrote:
SaintHax wrote:

I'd honestly rather not-- else everyone ends up playing the same and you'll give upon Epic like my group did. A couple of game discussion guys (Rym and Scott) once mentioned that once you know the single best strat for a game, it's no longer fun to play.

Fair enough

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.