United States
La Plata
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
(from GMT's instagram)

http://instagram.com/p/qkkQdeIXcZ/?modal=true

http://instagram.com/p/qFU4tLIXWP/?modal=true

...specifically the Gallic Wars. I'm curious if anyone really thinks this is a good idea, it just seems extremely round peg-square hole. I mean, the thing I've admired about the COIN series so far is how the designer's have had the courage and knowledge to cover very underrepresented, misunderstood, and complex conflicts of the modern era in a way that is entertaining, approachable, and thought-provoking.

Trying to portray the Gallic Wars as an insurgency analogous to to those that have been covered by COIN already seems like a pretty difficult historical reach, at best. Beyond the historical basis, I just don't see the COIN system as a good fit mechanically. Aren't there enough Caesar-in-Gaul games already that cover the conflict in ways that are much more historically appropriate?

Even if it turns out well as just a game, but I'd still feel like there was a wasted opportunity to cover a far more overlooked and appropriate topic. What about the supposed Angolan one? Or what about Nicaragua, Somalia, Kosovo, Chad, Ethiopia, Palestine, Chechnya, Bangladesh, Kashmir, Sri Lanka, Northern Ireland...or if there truly must be a pre-20th century COIN, how about The Peninsular War? Who thinks of Caesar and Vercingetorix when they hear "counter-insurgency"?

I'm already a bit skeptical about how the seemingly cemented 4 player dynamic will work with the far more bipolar Vietnam War, though I'm still really excited for Fire in the Lake to ship. I would like to see the designers explore the dynamics of other player counts.

Talk about pasted-on themes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I'm not particularly interested in 20th century counter-insurgency, I applaud the attempt to see if the game engine will work for other eras. I don't think adapting a successful engine to another era qualifies as "pasted on" in any sense at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Neilson
United States
Mountain Home
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Unchecked climate change, global nuclear weapons modernizations, and outsized nuclear weapons arsenals pose extraordinary and undeniable threats" -The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists Science and Security Board. 1/21/16
badge
Troops of the U.S. Army 11th Airborne Division watch a plume of radioactive smoke rise November 1, 1951 after a blast at Yucca Flats, Nevada. (Photo by National Archive/Newsmakers)
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see why it wouldn't work out. A lot of what happened in the Gallic Wars was flipping the loyalty of the various tribes against each other, as well as alternatively working with and fighting against the Romans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all for trying out new things, so, in principal I applaud this effort. In practice, I seriously wonder if there's anywhere near enough data to create a COIN game from the Roman era. Will this be another GBOH scenario with designer notes along the lines of "we have no idea who was involved or what happened but here you go..."

My response is strongly flavored with the notion that COIN games are reasonably accurate because of the research involved (and, frankly, the availability of data).

I would assume this will lean heavily on the game side and less on the simulation. Maybe a good candidate for COIN lite?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
goodpoints wrote:
I'm curious if anyone really thinks this is a good idea,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał M.
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First COIN which is something more than MEH form me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't even know what COIN is, but I'm interested now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conrad Bendixen
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
I'm of two minds:

The rational part of myself says that we simply don't have enough knowledge of how ancient conquerors subjugated nations. We won't be able to model how small events can lead to greater movements, and we simply don't have a level of knowledge of how non-military events affected military outcomes.

The emotional part of myself says:

JasonRMax wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
goodpoints wrote:

Not sure where the jump from different era to pasted on comes from.

Situations involving shifting loyalties and heavy asymmetry where one side has an army capable of winning most straight up engagements seems pretty much in line with the COIN system to me.

Not sure I'm personally interested in this one, but that's for other reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does seem a little odd, but probably best to see how it plays out. I'm sure Volko is still doing his Angolan one, etc (but will it be as good as Angola...that remains to be seen)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand how anyone can trash a game that is, at best, several months or even years in the future.

We don't know a single thing about it yet except for the subject and game system, and already someone dislikes it.

For all we know, it could turn out to be a classic; but I suppose everyone is entitled to an opinion, even when it's based on nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More from GMT's Instagram.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
goodpoints wrote:
(from GMT's instagram)

http://instagram.com/p/qkkQdeIXcZ/?modal=true

http://instagram.com/p/qFU4tLIXWP/?modal=true

...specifically the Gallic Wars. I'm curious if anyone really thinks this is a good idea, it just seems extremely round peg-square hole. I mean, the thing I've admired about the COIN series so far is how the designer's have had the courage and knowledge to cover very underrepresented, misunderstood, and complex conflicts of the modern era in a way that is entertaining, approachable, and thought-provoking.

Trying to portray the Gallic Wars as an insurgency analogous to to those that have been covered by COIN already seems like a pretty difficult historical reach, at best. Beyond the historical basis, I just don't see the COIN system as a good fit mechanically. Aren't there enough Caesar-in-Gaul games already that cover the conflict in ways that are much more historically appropriate?

Even if it turns out well as just a game, but I'd still feel like there was a wasted opportunity to cover a far more overlooked and appropriate topic. What about the supposed Angolan one? Or what about Nicaragua, Somalia, Kosovo, Chad, Ethiopia, Palestine, Chechnya, Bangladesh, Kashmir, Sri Lanka, Northern Ireland...or if there truly must be a pre-20th century COIN, how about The Peninsular War? Who thinks of Caesar and Vercingetorix when they hear "counter-insurgency"?

I'm already a bit skeptical about how the seemingly cemented 4 player dynamic will work with the far more bipolar Vietnam War, though I'm still really excited for Fire in the Lake to ship. I would like to see the designers explore the dynamics of other player counts.

Sounds great. Might be my first COIN purchase...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
For now.
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Romani ite domum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'd be interested to see how this comes out.
The Romans were the masters of "divide and conquer", so we could see this rolling out many interesting ways in terms of mechanics and Perverse Incentives.
Though they were also OK with building pyramids of skulls when they needed to!

And all the other modern examples you cited are hardly wasted opportunities; it's not as if the COIN system will allow for a given number of games, then stop working, like some kind of magic lamp.
It's just that no one has gotten it together to design a Nicaragua, Somalia, etc. COIN system game yet.
Games that look good but fail their P500 or other tests are wasted opportunities, in my view... (which is one reason why I started to roll my own, over 20 years ago).

And the 4-player dynamic is not immutable...

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurtis Swekla
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anyone know what the next planned COIN games actually are? other than these instagrams and Volko previously mentioning Angola, there hasn't been any real word on a 5th volume or 6th volume.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roman history is one of my favorites to wargame. Sword of Rome and The Republic of Rome are two of my favorites on the era. I've been wanting to see the COIN series go back to some of these eras and was thinking Renascence Italy would be a good fit. An era often eurogamed but rarely wargamed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeOberly wrote:
It does seem a little odd, but probably best to see how it plays out. I'm sure Volko is still doing his Angolan one, etc (but will it be as good as Angola...that remains to be seen)

It will be different, and cover a lot of the things that happened over years while Portugal was still in charge. Angola is about what happened when the Portuguese bugged out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Neff
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doughboyca wrote:
anyone know what the next planned COIN games actually are? other than these instagrams and Volko previously mentioning Angola, there hasn't been any real word on a 5th volume or 6th volume.

Iron Butterfly (about the Philippines under Marcos) has been in the works for some time. There's also games on the Irish War of Independence and the Iraq War forthcoming, though I don't know which ones will be P500'd first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zaccardi
United States
Coral Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very interested in this title. Something that looks at the Roman era in a different way than what we've seen previously will be refreshing to say the least.

Hey GMT! Put stuff like this on twitter, not everyone follows Instagram! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Strikes me as a little odd and certainly not what I expected out of the series. I'm sure there will be interest in this, but I probably have enough games that take place in that time period personally. Still, I'm sure it will find a place in many peoples' collections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
COIN + ROME = great idea !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
La Plata
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mighty Eris wrote:
I'm of two minds:

The rational part of myself says that we simply don't have enough knowledge of how ancient conquerors subjugated nations. We won't be able to model how small events can lead to greater movements, and we simply don't have a level of knowledge of how non-military events affected military outcomes.

Agreed, it's ineffectual to apply modern concepts of insurgency/counter-insurgency to such ancient conflicts. Certainly, there are threads of similarity, but why not explore those commonalities by treating the Gallic Wars as they are rather than Gallic Wars-as-COIN? And as you put it so well, I think the COIN series excels at modeling "how small events can lead to greater movement". COIN games have this remarkable ability to explore connection and narrative within conflicts that are commonly depicted like the cards by themselves: a disjointed collection of images and headlines.

I would probably really enjoy a game that did explore Roman provincial government and rebellion, depicted as its own unique topic. This is why I think Wilderness War is actually so great: it's very apt to provoking consideration of the historical development of low intensity warfare, yet it remains a game that aims only to depict the French and Indian War in and of itself.

ltmurnau wrote:
Well, I'd be interested to see how this comes out.
The Romans were the masters of "divide and conquer", so we could see this rolling out many interesting ways in terms of mechanics and Perverse Incentives.
Though they were also OK with building pyramids of skulls when they needed to!

And all the other modern examples you cited are hardly wasted opportunities; it's not as if the COIN system will allow for a given number of games, then stop working, like some kind of magic lamp.
It's just that no one has gotten it together to design a Nicaragua, Somalia, etc. COIN system game yet.
Games that look good but fail their P500 or other tests are wasted opportunities, in my view... (which is one reason why I started to roll my own, over 20 years ago).

And the 4-player dynamic is not immutable...

Brian

I just don't see how this topic wouldn't be better served with a system more specific to it. Definitions of insurgency and counter-insurgency seem to rely so much on concepts like non-state actors, revolutionary politics, and global stability that just don't really apply to the Roman world.

True, certainly a concept is a failure if its ultimately not marketable, but it seems like the popularity of the COIN series has shown that people are interested in games exploring modern civil conflict.

I hope so, I'm really interested in the idea of how the dynamics of the conflict itself can be represented with varying player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
l think the OP raises Some interesting points. One of the main attractions of the COIN for me is the interesting 20th Cent theatres that don't get a lot of treatment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.