Jason Kotzur-Yang
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi BGG,

I’m almost finished up on my game Hedron but I’m sure it could do with some extra scrutiny. The game has been through lots of development and lots of playtests (including blind playtests) and I think it’s good to go. The game pitch is below, if it sounds like your thing, please consider trying it out and see if you can break it. Hedron is designed to be as print and play friendly as possible, you just need a set of gaming dice for each person and two printed sheets. It will be going to a certain funding place in the sky sometime soon, but I’ll be doing something a little different with it (not asking for $20,000 for my first game).

Hedron is tiny epic space battle that you can play in 30 minutes with two players (add another 10-15 minutes per player up to 4). Each player controls a faction of energy beings, called hedrons. The core mechanic of the game has players make a single move each turn which they can build into a chain of movement allowing you to move your fleet across the battlefield. Your hedrons will also gain access to dynamic powers, allowing you to use your fallen warriors to fuel more powerful attacks. You’ll gain victory by showing you’re the most powerful set of hedrons in the whole sector through dominating areas of space and destroying your opponent’s hedrons.

A few quick design notes
d10-1The game is a deliberate mix of abstract strategy with dynamic thematic elements, and as such it offers a pretty unique experience - this experience may not be for everyone, some players will find the spatial movement pretty intuitive and it will ruin other players’ brains
d10-2Like many games, your competency will greatly improve with multiple plays, but I’ve tried to design Hedron so players will have a good idea of what to do and how to play on their first play through
d10-3Following on from point 1, it’s deliberately thinky. If you have any AP prone players, game time will increase. I’m recommending this for 2 and 3 players, because of the potential downtime between turns.

Hedron Rules
Rule booklet

Hex Grids
A4 Hex Grids for 2, 3 and 4 Please note, when printing the grids please print at 100% size to ensure the grid size is not too small for easy play. For my American friends, all the files are formatted for international paper sizes, but the safe areas for all the grids will fit your Letter size fine. Don't worry about what's getting cut off.

Player Mats
A4 Players Mats (2 mats per sheet)

PS There’s an old thread hanging back around from before the forums got split up, and a question about card text. If you’d like to check out the history of development, please read the designer diaries on my website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kotzur-Yang
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MicroStack Games wrote:

Have you considered reference cards to represent the different hedrons? Possibly use card sleeves and dry erase markers for your dice system and represent the hedrons with chits on the tile board? Example: Warmachine.

As in, just for print and play? You'd also need a dice rolling app, and a way to distinguish the chits from each other.

MicroStack Games wrote:

Have you played games like Neuroshima Hex or Tash-Kalar? Might give you some ideas.

Do different factions have different types of hedrons? What's the storyline for the different factions?

Haven't played Tash-Kalar as yet but Neuroshima Hex is definitely a great little game.

No specific factions, as yet. We might get there later on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jason,

I'm happy to test your game. I have plenty of dice at home.

Having read the rules, the examples and diagrams aren't quite "flowing" for me. I think possibly smaller diagrams with more step-by-step would help initial comprehension.

I understand that the movement requires 1 energy per hex and is then able to pass along 1 "push" transfer into a neighbouring die to create a chain-effect.

Using the diagram 1 on page 6 - only one die changes value - the one initiating the chain? The other dice in the chain can't add some of their own energy to boost the distance or the energy boosted?

Page 6 - Energy Chain diagram 1, the 10/d20 moving 1 space to become 9/d20 could you possibly consider ghosting the dice (altering the transparency) to it give the impression of movement or possibly change the colour of the number to symbolise the value has changed?

Can you also give some though to using a different colour for the kinetic energy transfer (maybe red or yellow)? With movement and transfer both white, they are hard to differentiate.

Diagram 2 on page 6, the arrows leading away from the 6/d12 die point in the wrong direction? It looks like the 6/d12 is moving down and left, not right and up.

As a very simple way of tracking which dice have moved on a turn, you could simply rotate them so the numbers face toward or away from the player.

I have a few more thoughts, but they can probably wait until after I try a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kotzur-Yang
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
Using the diagram 1 on page 6 - only one die changes value - the one initiating the chain? The other dice in the chain can't add some of their own energy to boost the distance or the energy boosted?

Yes, only one die changes value. No, the other dice can't add their own energy. That'd make it too easy.

anomander64 wrote:

Page 6 - Energy Chain diagram 1, the 10/d20 moving 1 space to become 9/d20 could you possibly consider ghosting the dice (altering the transparency) to it give the impression of movement or possibly change the colour of the number to symbolise the value has changed?

Can you also give some though to using a different colour for the kinetic energy transfer (maybe red or yellow)? With movement and transfer both white, they are hard to differentiate.

I'll work on it. I've always had a problem communicating the way it works and was honestly surprised when my blind playtesters came back saying they understood it reasonably easily. I also have a tendency to want to make everything as simple looking as possible. A little more colour could help. Some great ideas, thanks.

anomander64 wrote:

Diagram 2 on page 6, the arrows leading away from the 6/d12 die point in the wrong direction? It looks like the 6/d12 is moving down and left, not right and up.

They definitely are. Don't know how many times I've looked at it and just not noticed. blush

anomander64 wrote:

As a very simple way of tracking which dice have moved on a turn, you could simply rotate them so the numbers face toward or away from the player.

Interesting. Looking forward to seeing if you think it's necessary. It's only come back as a comment in a single playtest, so I don't know whether it is needed or not. (I also believe the design have moved on to simpler chains since then).

Thanks so much for the feedback (and running an awesome protospiel)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kotzur-Yang
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going through some rule revisions now. Hopefully this will help, Craig. I ended up keeping it just with white but I think it's obvious what's happening now with just one movement/link per diagram. Let me know if you have any feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jason, that is much clearer now.

I was just approaching it from the view of a complete novice who had never seen the game and was learning via the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kotzur-Yang
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
Thanks Jason, that is much clearer now.

I was just approaching it from the view of a complete novice who had never seen the game and was learning via the rules.

Which is the best thing to do. Thanks, heaps. New rules should be up tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kotzur-Yang
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hedron is now updated with a few tweaks to improve end game and card flow. I go into the full breakdown on my designer diary, but here's a quick breakdown
> Card hexes now pay out at the end of the turn
> First to 90 points boost increased to 10 per player
> Players final score equals current points + total energy on the board

These last little tweaks have helped bring about a more climatic finish. If anyone has any feedback on the previous version, or the new one, please let me know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kotzur-Yang
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kickstarter is live! I'm going to leave the links to beta version live here, these are now up to date with the Kickstarter (and bundled together here). If you'd like to help out with further playtesting, you can add your data to this spreadsheet, mainly just looking for data points now to see if any player order issues have sneaked passed our playtesters, and to evaluate the end game bonus points.

Thanks everyone for you feedback and support!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.