rebecca
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I want to believe. -- FOX MULDER
badge
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. --DANA SCULLY
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello wise ones.
I just played Carcassonne with the fam, and added Inns and Cathedrals. In the only previous physical game play (I have the iOS too) we screwed up the rules and didn't play tiles next to the last-placed tiles. This time we play correctly but we were pretty quickly boxed in and game over... (exactly one place to play surrounded on all sides.

I can't find an explanation of how to avoid this or if there are updated rules about it or are we just playing poorly.

Any rule help or wisdom greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, what? There is absolutely no requirement to play a tile next to the last-placed tile. It can be next to any previously played tile.

The only requirement is that if you place a follower, they must be placed on the tile that you just placed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rebecca
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. --DANA SCULLY
mbmbmbmbmb
losfp wrote:
Wait, what? There is absolutely no requirement to play a tile next to the last-placed tile. It can be next to any previously played tile.

The only requirement is that if you place a follower, they must be placed on the tile that you just placed.

Well, that would make things a whole lot more fun! And my 7 year old might be REALLY HAPPY. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Frizzell
United States
Springfield
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toasterpastry wrote:
In the only previous physical game play (I have the iOS too) we screwed up the rules and didn't play tiles next to the last-placed tiles.

You don't have to place your tile next to the last-placed tile, just to any previously placed tile.

Official Rule Book Page 1 wrote:
The new tile (with red borders in the examples) must be placed with at least one edge adjacent and abutting
one previously placed tile. The new tile may not simply be placed corner to corner with a previous tile.

In other words, your tile must connect to the rest of the "board," you can't make new "islands." Only adding to the last-placed tile would severely limit your options, and, as in your case above, end the game rather quickly. I definitely recommend watching a video playthrough for a better idea of the gameplay (the TableTop episode is very entertaining).

Edit: Ninja'd!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. That had to be the worst introduction to Carcassonne anyone could have!

I'm betting you'll like the actual rules better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rebecca
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjasan8 wrote:
toasterpastry wrote:
In the only previous physical game play (I have the iOS too) we screwed up the rules and didn't play tiles next to the last-placed tiles.

You don't have to place your tile next to the last-placed tile, just to any previously placed tile.

The new tile (with red borders in the examples) must be placed with at least one edge adjacent and abutting
one previously placed tile. The new tile may not simply be placed corner to corner with a previous tile.

In other words, your tile must connect to the rest of the "board," you can't make new "islands." Only adding to the last-placed tile would severely limit your options, and, as in your case above, end the game rather quickly. I definitely recommend watching a video playthrough for a better idea of the gameplay (the TableTop episode is very entertaining).

"a" previously placed tile....
vs
"THE" previously placed tile...

DOH. more caffiene.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toasterpastry wrote:
ninjasan8 wrote:
toasterpastry wrote:

"a" previously placed tile....
vs
"THE" previously placed tile...

DOH. more caffiene.

But on the plus side, you did just come up with a variant...

Enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toasterpastry wrote:
I can't find an explanation of how to avoid this or if there are updated rules about it or are we just playing poorly.

Same ones they've always been, as far as I know.

• The new tile (the one with a red border in the examples) must be placed in such a way that at least one of its sides
touches one of the previously placed tiles. The new tile cannot only be connected by a corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Martin
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, that variant would really suck for Monasteries as they would almost never be completed to get your meeple back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.