Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek
United States
Greencastle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The front page says the appropriate sleeves for the small cards are either Fantasy Flight Mini American Board Game sleeves or Mayday Mini Chimera sleeves.

My concern: The 2 types of sleeves listed are not the same size. FF sleeves are 41 x 63. Mayday sleeves are 43 x 65. Am I missing something here?

FYI - I bought the Mayday Mini USA Premium sleeves (which I believe are correct at 41 x 63). I am very happy with them.

I can't imagine any way FF is wrong on the size. I am new to BGG. Who would update this information? Am I missing something and I am actually incorrect?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference is because most other sleeve brands measures the size of the sleeve while FFG measures the internal size of the card that the sleeve fits, which is why it seems like FFG's sleeve sizes are smaller than the standard size names.

If you measure the actual card size of Eldritch Horror's small card size, it's exactly 41mm x 63mm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Greencastle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So do my Mayday sleeves fit incorrectly and I just didn't realize it?

P.S. This is a legitimate question. (First game I've sleeved)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SecoAce gave you the correct answer - you just didn't realise it.

FFG would not make sleeves than didn't fit their own cards.
Mayday Games makes less expensive alternatives - don't expect the same tight fit. Some cards in a batch will be too tight, others a little lose. But even if you cannot use all the Mayday cards they still give good value for the money paid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
din0derek wrote:
So do my Mayday sleeves fit incorrectly and I just didn't realize it?

P.S. This is a legitimate question. (First game I've sleeved)

Maybe to clarify it again: FFGs measurements are so to say the "inner" dimensions of the sleeve while other brands like Mayday measure the "outer" dimensions of the sleeve. The numbers are different but the sleeves are exactly the same size and both fit the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As has been clarified both companies produce sleeves that fit.

If it doubt go for FFG sleeves. Having tried Mayday and Ultrapro among others, FFG seem to be the best quality at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Laine
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stopped buying Mayday sleeves years ago because they practiced practically no quality control. I found that their sleeves--even within a single pack--varied in size wildly, so some would be smaller than the actual cards I was sleeving, some would sort of fit, and some would be so large the cards would just slip right out. I switched to FFG and have never looked back--they're thicker, they stack better, and they fit perfectly every single time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
miesdeldolor9 wrote:
I stopped buying Mayday sleeves years ago because they practiced practically no quality control. I found that their sleeves--even within a single pack--varied in size wildly, so some would be smaller than the actual cards I was sleeving, some would sort of fit, and some would be so large the cards would just slip right out. I switched to FFG and have never looked back--they're thicker, they stack better, and they fit perfectly every single time.

and they cost more than twice as much ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
SecoAce gave you the correct answer - you just didn't realise it.

FFG would not make sleeves than didn't fit their own cards.
Mayday Games makes less expensive alternatives - don't expect the same tight fit. Some cards in a batch will be too tight, others a little lose. But even if you cannot use all the Mayday cards they still give good value for the money paid.

I used to feel that way about Mayday but their sleeves just don't hold up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Greencastle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. When I put the sleeves on I did notice size varied and some we're stuck together. I might have to consider FFG sleeves next time. I was considering it initially, but Mayday free shipping plus a sale beat everyone else's prices by quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
din0derek wrote:
Mayday free shipping plus a sale beat everyone else's prices by quite a bit.

...and that's not a coincidence. It's a clichéd phrase, but you get what you pay for. It's a question of which bothers you more--mismatched sleeves or less money in your pocket?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used FFG sleeves on over 75 games I own. They work 100% of the time. I've never had to throw away a single sleeve because it didn't fit or broke apart. They last so it's worth paying a little more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
or you find other sleeves between those two
I personally started out with FFG sleeves (super awesome) but found them too expensive especially for card heavy games like Eldritch Horror or Mage Knight (I don't want to spend 50% game price again for the sleeves).
Now I use FFG sleeves for games with less cards and Arcane Tinmen sleeves for card heavy games. They are half the price of FFG sleeves but come quality wise quite close (though not perfectly).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went with Mayday Mini USA standard sleeves for this one. I like the Mayday standard sleeves, but they have to fit snugly or they make the cards unpleasant to hold, especially the mini ones. I found the mini USA to be a nice snug fit and I am happy with them. However, they just barely cover the top of the cards. That doesn't bug me, but the prospect that a mm or 2 may poke out the top may bother others,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.