Subject: Game Info/Overview from an Emissary rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Wihtol
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I can't call this a 'review' as frankly the game I have access to right now is only for running demos, meaning a lot of the strategy aspects are not currently implemented. (such as making your own armies, or custom maps)

The base game plays quickly like a clix game once folks get used to using the Pen. However the rules are a lot more robust, with terrain modifiers, and penalties for shooting through other golems. The game w/o the digital implementation very much reminds me of a mix between the Mechwarrior clix and Battletech rules set.

The basics of the game are easy enough. Golems have a few different stats. HP, Armor, Dodge, and at least 2 attacks and 1 type of movement. Attacks and movements cost AP. The resolution mechanic is a d100 roll under system, meaning you have an accuracy for your attacks, subtract the opponents dodge and any cover bonuses and get your final target number. A roll under that number hits. Also a double (11-99) will always hit and a double under your target number will do 1.5 damage. If you roll 00 you do double damage. However a roll of 90-98 misses no matter what.

You get 1 AP per 100 points in your army per turn, though some of the demo scenarios give you less.

You also have a resource called mana, you gain some on a 1 for 1 ration when you end your turn with AP left, you also gain mana if your golem is killed by your opponent. (based on that golems point value.)

Once the digital items are added in though the whole game changes. Suddenly you can have mana wells that give units standing on them w/o an enemy in the same square a resource for their team, that run out after their mana is spent(which is unknown to the user when you park over one. It might be 1 turn it might be 10; in the demo it's 3 turns it seems.) You also have Ancient ones that for mana allow you to put blessings or curses on terrain that give you buffs or debuff your enemies, however only 1 blessing and 1 curse can be on any square meaning sometimes blocking your opponent by blessing or cursing a square w/o an immediate benefit.

You also have digital pilots (called Knights) for the golems. These Knights either have passive or active abilities. The active abilities can cost either mana or AP depending on the ability.

The app works great but currently big displays are key as text size is slightly small (but is being worked on). The app works as a great sort of scoreboard for following along on your opponents turn or as an observer, it does all the math and record keeping for you, showing your cursed or blessed squares, where mana wells are, and where mission objectives are.(except for the objectives there are tokens to mark these on the board as well.) You czn choose to have the app roll but I find most folks want to roll the bones themselves which is supported.

Currently the game is neat and you can really see the potential once the customization options are added in. I feel the game will really have legs as even with only 8 golems and pre-set pilots and ancient ones the strategies I'm seeing played are intriguing and their seems to be a lot of tactics to tease out once we can really go in deep.

Nick Wihtol, Portland Emissary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Mathes
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info, it's nice to see how the game is shaping up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.